2007 MLS Player Rules & Regulations

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

There is a "sore" point there for me:

DOMESTIC PLAYERS

A domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., has been granted refugee or asylum status).

Now there is nowhere mention about "canadian" players are we to assume that DOMESTIC Players are either US or/and Canadian? [V]

I. MLS ROSTER COMPOSITION

A Major League Soccer team's full roster is comprised of the Senior Roster and the Developmental Roster. The full roster shall exceed no more than 28 total players: 18 players on the Senior Roster and no more than 10 players on the Developmental Roster. All 28 players are eligible for selection as part of the game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

So we can have 18 "senior" players no matter what the ratio or US/Cdn? How many foreign players are we allowed?(are US ones then considered foreign?)

http://www.answers.com/topic/toronto-fc

In accordance with MLS policies, Toronto FC will be restricted to an 18 man senior roster. Like its American counterparts, the squad will consist of both domestic and foreign players (though these domestic players will be Canadian rather than American). The team will be allowed the MLS-standard four senior foreign players as well as a limited number of younger foreign players. While the full regulations have yet to be finalized, the team will also have a quota of three American players to fulfill.[10] Thus the team will be required to field fewer domestic players than its American counterparts.

Could someone explain this to me more plainly....[:I]

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

There is a "sore" point there for me:

DOMESTIC PLAYERS

A domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., has been granted refugee or asylum status).

Now there is nowhere mention about "canadian" players are we to assume that DOMESTIC Players are either US or/and Canadian? [V]

I. MLS ROSTER COMPOSITION

A Major League Soccer team's full roster is comprised of the Senior Roster and the Developmental Roster. The full roster shall exceed no more than 28 total players: 18 players on the Senior Roster and no more than 10 players on the Developmental Roster. All 28 players are eligible for selection as part of the game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

So we can have 18 "senior" players no matter what the ratio or US/Cdn? How many foreign players are we allowed?(are US ones then considered foreign?)

http://www.answers.com/topic/toronto-fc

In accordance with MLS policies, Toronto FC will be restricted to an 18 man senior roster. Like its American counterparts, the squad will consist of both domestic and foreign players (though these domestic players will be Canadian rather than American). The team will be allowed the MLS-standard four senior foreign players as well as a limited number of younger foreign players. While the full regulations have yet to be finalized, the team will also have a quota of three American players to fulfill.[10] Thus the team will be required to field fewer domestic players than its American counterparts.

Could someone explain this to me more plainly....[:I]

So for domestic ..read Canadian citizen ..or UN refugee, the TFC can have up to four non Canadian, non US citizen players.

TFC must carry three American citizens on its roster given an oppourtunity to play and develop because the MLS is USA based league developed to improve US soccer.

So your TFC and CSA dollars go to fund.. up to seven non canadian players on a Senior Roster of 18. Certainly we hope Mo is not bringing in young Scots to fill places on the 10 players on the developmental Roster, I would presume they would be drawn from the CSA under 23 and Under 20 national team pool.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

When will the hating stop? The CSA money went into the stadium only.

TFC is run totally independent of the CSA by MLSE.

Sure, I wish the Canadian content on the team was higher, but let's be reasonable here.

Yes, but with extenuating circumstances.

CSA was at every press conference and aided in TFC's placement in MLS.

CSA said that TFC/MLS would develop Canadian players. Mr. Pipe of the CSA at the time compared USL to CHL hockey.

I have no axe to grind with TFC or MLS as businesess in the sports/entertainment industry. I hope TFC sells out for 100 years and has an outstanding fan base.

But the CSA told us TFC was to develop Canadian players. Don't stop now because the team is in place. Somebody should be held to task if we were sold lies just to have a team.

EDIT:

If TFC knew it or not, they accepted a mandate handed to them from CSA to develop Canadian players. It should be accepted that TFC be held accountable if there is a perception that this is not the case.

Sure, I wish the Canadian content on the team was higher, but let's be reasonable here.

Actually, it was Fifa's money, if I recall correctly. It was part of the Goal Program that might otherwise have gone into Jack Warner's pockets. And it was something like 600K ( less the 1% or total cost of the facility) and it went all into the architectural design.

As Craig Forrest was recently quoted: " it was the best 600K ever spent in for Canadian soccer"

You are correct Free Kick.

I was sort of thinking along the lines that the CSA brought the government money to the table with the purpose of building a stadium and getting the U-20's.

Trying to drag the CSA's name into TFC's lack of Canadian content is bordering on the pathetic.

When I'm watching Canada play Costa Rica in September, I will be giving a big fcuk you to all the anti-Toronto losers on this forum who can't let their petty grudges go. Get over yourselves.

"TFC must carry three American citizens on its roster given an oppourtunity to play and develop because the MLS is USA based league developed to improve US soccer."

There is no must, as there is no limit on the # of Canadians on the roster, if a quality Canadian is signed at any point, one of the American players could be cut.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Yes, but with extenuating circumstances.

CSA was at every press conference and aided in TFC's placement in MLS.

As they should have - one of the few real accomplishments for the CSA in recent years.

quote:CSA said that TFC/MLS would develop Canadian players.

Yes, and they will. Go look at their current squad - particularly the developmental roster. The reserve team games should also be taken into account as their lineups are almost entirely Canadian.

quote:Mr. Pipe of the CSA at the time compared USL to CHL hockey.

I believe that most people here will tell you that Mr. Pipe did nothing but talk out of his ass for twenty years, so I would not put too much stock in anything he said.

quote: I have no axe to grind with TFC or MLS as businesess in the sports/entertainment industry. I hope TFC sells out for 100 years and has an outstanding fan base.

But the CSA told us TFC was to develop Canadian players. Don't stop now because the team is in place. Somebody should be held to task if we were sold lies just to have a team.

EDIT:

If TFC knew it or not, they accepted a mandate handed to them from CSA to develop Canadian players. It should be accepted that TFC be held accountable if there is a perception that this is not the case.

I really think you need to take a closer look at the roster to see that TFC is starting to fill this role. TFC still has that "new club smell" and yet they are already developing team chemistry among a large number of Canadian players. Infact, you can argue that they have already created a very credible Canada B squad that could represent Canada in friendlies during those times when the players in Europe are largely not available (ex non-FIFA date during the European season) should Canada so choose.

The fact that recent college graduates, and Lombardo after being dropped by his club in Italy, have found a place to play is proof that TFC is helping to rescue/develop Canadian talent. It is unfortunate that West Coast talent is not properly represented, but if Vancouver gets a team, or atleast the salaries of TFC's Development players in increased to something reasonable, then that will change.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

And you can add Canizales to that list as well. I do not agree that this has anything to do Vancouver. In this case/thread it is just about complaining about the CSA. More specifically, inventing new things to complain about the CSA regardless of whether it makes sence or not.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

TFC's Canadian players tend to come from the Toronto area. Part of this is preference/desire to play where you came from (hence the advantage of Vancouver getting a team in attracting BC players to MLS) and part of it is that the Development players are so poorly paid that you can't live on your own in Toronto with such meagre wages. Toronto area kids can live with parents or old friends, but BC kids would be at a disadvantage so they would need higher wages to come into effect to make living in Toronto a reasonable proposition. I am not blaming TFC for having mostly GTA Canadian players, that's just how it is.

Reasonable? With these CSA haters?

OK so we can have 3 US players on the Roster & 4 NON Canadian/US Players....Now is there a maximum set on how many foreign player might be on the pitch at once? For example in the polish league u may only have 3 NON EU Players on the pitch at once this is all in order to develop local talent. And you Must have 2 Junior proteges playing(1 on the pitch the other can be on the bench). What's the case in the MLS?

Archived