Abel Xavier to LA Galaxy

The Los Angeles Galaxy have agreed to terms with Portuguese international defender Abel Xavier to join the club on a free transfer. The 34-year old defender, who can play both as a right back and a central defender, has spent the last two seasons in the English Premier League with Middlesbrough. Xavier is eligible to make his first team debut once the Secondary MLS Transfer Window opens on June 15. Per team and league regulations, details of the contract were not released.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Wow, that is quite the signing.

The Galaxy are going to be good.

I dont know. Not sure that I ever thought that he was that good. This is guy ( i believe) who got called for the critical hand ball on the goal line that led to the decisive penalty for Germany. Thus eliminating Portugal from WC 2002.

Abel "Handball" Xavier will bring some leadership to the Galaxy backline

and LA can only get better than their record shows. Don't know if Jazic

will be challenged for a spot, but can certainly learn a lot from the vet.

Hmm, Beckham, Donovan, and now Xavier. Any money left in the budget?

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Uhhh, probably because Beckham doesn't count toward the cap? That's been common knowledge since the day he signed.

It's also common knowledge that $400,000 of a DP's salary DOES count against the cap, plus $325,000 for a second DP. As LA already has two DPs and the salary cap is only about $2.2 million, I think Jamit's question is valid.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Uhhh, probably because Beckham doesn't count toward the cap? That's been common knowledge since the day he signed.

It's also common knowledge that $400,000 of a DP's salary DOES count against the cap, plus $325,000 for a second DP. As LA already has two DPs and the salary cap is only about $2.2 million, I think Jamit's question is valid.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Actually to correct the corrector, Landon is being "grandfathered" for this year so he's technically not a DP...yet, but he will likely be next year. Not sure how his 900K+ salary counts against the cap though...

As for Xavier, he seemed to be a decent EPL back for Everton a few years back. Where was he playing this past season? I guess Albright might be in trouble of losing his spot, or he'll pushed up to right mid?

Archived