What Price Benfica?

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

By pure chance came across the ticket prices for Benfica, midweek at BMO vs. TFC.

Starting cheapest at 110 dollars a shot. All the way up to 275.

Who in hell do they think they are dealing with here, that is the same price as a Champions League quarter final match.

Will the stadium be empty, will it only be Benfica fans, or is there some deal for season tix holders after all?

Season ticket holders get 5 "vouchers" with their season ticket, tickets for the Benfica game 'cost' two vouchers, I think the Canada-Argentina game was 1 voucher.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

By pure chance came across the ticket prices for Benfica, midweek at BMO vs. TFC.

Who in hell do they think they are dealing with here, that is the same price as a Champions League quarter final match.

Will the stadium be empty, will it only be Benfica fans, or is there some deal for season tix holders after all?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by MM2

Season ticket holders get 5 "vouchers" with their season ticket, tickets for the Benfica game 'cost' two vouchers, I think the Canada-Argentina game was 1 voucher.

Interesting. What other games might be part of that voucher, maybe a national team game in the fall? Would folks be likely to reserve their vouchers in case something more interesting comes along?

What TFC should do is encourage their fans to come out, as it looks like you are going to get some die-hard Benfica fans and the team might feel it is playing an away game. The problem with that is that probably Benfica is not the most attractive team for most non-Portuguese TFC fans (I personally am not as drawn to them as I would to a Spurs or Atletico Madrid or Lazio), the game is midweek and not that convenvient for many regular fans, and it is coming after two quick home games in succession, Dynamo then the weekend game. So folks are not exactly dying to see the team. Add to that the fact that TFC will probably be a bit tired by next Wednesday, Benfica is just coming off the season, and neither side is going to be in top competitive spirit.

At least 40% overpriced this match. Someone got greedy.

Interesting. The package has 20 tickets, 15 are red tickets for each TFC game and 5 silver tickets of which only one is listed as actual game and is marked Arg-Can U20 with correct date etc... The others are for are undertermined events and listed as only voucher A,B,C and D. Each ticket has listed price attached. A few of them (3-4) are 30$ but the rest including all the silver tickets are marked 15$.

The seats are in the supporters section and the whole packed including seat licence cost 200$ plus GST. A very good deal if you ask me.

But there is the problem in that it is inviting people to scalp them . That definitely happened in the match between Arg-Can. How else can one explain the argentinians in the stands.

The ticket for the argentina game was not a voucher. It was clearly marked Can-ARG, U20 friendly with the correct date and price.

The season tickets work like this. You get 15 home games and 5 vouchers for friendlies. One of the vouchers was for the Canada-Argentina U20 friendly. Two of the vouchers are for the Benfica game. Two of the vouchers are for the Aston Villa game (which may not happen as Aston Villa might make the UEFA Cup). I paid $200 per seat for my two season tickets. If I sold both my Benfica and Aston Villa tickets at cost ($110 per seat) I could pay off my season tickets and have some extra cash to boot.

Basically, 14,000 seats to this event are already sold. Also, one of the 1/2 season ticket packages includes this match. So I'd expect that 17-18,000 seats were sold to this game before it even hit ticketmaster. I think what we are seeing here is this: MLSE didn't expect the team to be this much of a success. They are now trying to recoup missed profit. Even the Canada-Argentina U-20 match had a top ticket of $100! That's crazy as well.

I just double checked my email and found out the details. Here is what it says:

".....Holder you ALREADY HAVE TICKETS to both games! The Benfica and Aston Villa matches will round out the Toronto FC ticket package and each game accounts for two friendly vouchers. (Vouchers A + B = Benfica, Vouchers C + D = Aston Villa)

You received FOUR vouchers in your season ticket package. Voucher A and Voucher C are active tickets. Voucher B and Voucher D are now null and void.

Again, a quick recap:

Toronto FC vs. Benfica – Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at BMO Field

– VOUCHER A is your ticket to this game.

Toronto FC vs. Aston Villa – Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at BMO Field

– VOUCHER C is your ticket to this game. "

As others have answered, the match is part of the season ticket package.

The problem is that they sold so many season ticket packages that they don't have many tickets left to sell so I would imagine that they had to price these tickets as high as they are to try and break even on the game.

I'm just speculating but it makes sense to me.

db

db, I think your speculation is bang on and frankly, I could not be happier.

I can't go to either of the Benfica or Villa matches because of soccer coaching commitments so I am selling them at a healthy profit to co-workers but still technically for the "face value" as set by TFC...thank you TFC for overcharging so eggregiously.

What happened at the Argentina game is that almost all the seats available on ticketmaster (non season seats) were scooped up by Argentines. Throw in a few thousand TFC fans not showing up and the Argies banging on their drums and wearing blue and white and that's why it looked like a 50-50 crowd. There were maybe 3000-4000 Argies and about 12000+ TFC fans or friends of TFC season ticket holders.

As for what TFC are doing with these 2 games, i think it is borderline illegal and if TFC fans got a class action suit going would probably be able to gouge another 2 games out of MLSE. Well, come to think of it you'd probably end up getting your 2 vouchers back and a small refund at the end of the year to use on next years tix...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

As for what TFC are doing with these 2 games, i think it is borderline illegal and if TFC fans got a class action suit going would probably be able to gouge another 2 games out of MLSE. Well, come to think of it you'd probably end up getting your 2 vouchers back and a small refund at the end of the year to use on next years tix...

I'm confused, how is this illegal? This looks like a classic case of supply and demand to me. If people are stupid enough to pay those prices for this game, more power to MLSE for being able to make money off these suckers.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'm confused, how is this illegal? This looks like a classic case of supply and demand to me. If people are stupid enough to pay those prices for this game, more power to MLSE for being able to make money off these suckers.

I am refering to the TFC season ticket holders being promised "5 international dates" in the literature and then this morphing into a voucer system that requires 2 vouchers to purchase one of these said international matches. Check the emails they sent out, it says it right on it. Check the fine print would be the next step...

Madness!

I wouldn't even go to that match for free. Would rather watch the Champions League final on TV. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

You do realize its possible to do both?

Yeah, in theory. When I go to friendlies in New York, the whole point is the tail-gate party outside the stadium that commences well before kick-off. (Do people do that outside BMO?)

If it's a whole-day event, then it's certainly worth something. Maybe not $110, but something.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Madness!

I wouldn't even go to that match for free. Would rather watch the Champions League final on TV. [:I]

That's too bad...I was just about to offer you a pair of tix for free...good to know you don't want them.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

That's too bad...I was just about to offer you a pair of tix for free...good to know you don't want them.

Hey, call me unselfish. [8D] I'd rather see you sell them for an airline ticket to Portugal where you can watch a real match. [^]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, in theory. When I go to friendlies in New York, the whole point is the tail-gate party outside the stadium that commences well before kick-off. (Do people do that outside BMO?)

If it's a whole-day event, then it's certainly worth something. Maybe not $110, but something.

Our new tradition is to drink at a pub near BMO Field and then march to the stadium. Sure, its not the same as a tailgate, but it does the job.

I agree though, the prices are crazy.

Benfica's list of players coming to North America. Lots of players missing. Only players 3, maybe 4 players worth watching in my opinion. (Rui Costa, Miccoli, Nelson)

Guarda Redes: Moreira e Moretto.

Defesas: Pedro Correia, Anderson, Léo, Miguelito, Nelson, David Luiz e Miguel Vítor.

Médios: Rui Costa, Paulo Jorge, Beto, Manu, Miguel Rosa e Romeu Ribeiro

Avançados: Miccoli e Sami.

I cant seem to be able to get rid of this ticket. I put it up for sale on a popular website for selling these kind of things and there were a gazillion other ones up for sale all over the stadium. I have had zero responses in over a week. The situation is pretty similar at the ticket swapping forum on the U sector board in that its all sellers but no buyers. Oh well, looks like I will just have to go to the game instead.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I cant seem to be able to get rid of this ticket. I put it up for sale on a popular website for selling these kind of things and there were a gazillion other ones up for sale all over the stadium. I have had zero responses in over a week. The situation is pretty similar at the ticket swapping forum on the U sector board in that its all sellers but no buyers. Oh well, looks like I will just have to go to the game instead.

Scalp them outside the stadium for half or one-third their face value.

Looks like they really overpriced these tickets though and the stadium will be half-empty. Anybody who wants to go to this match will have no problem finding $20 - $40 tickets from a scalper right before kick-off.

Archived