CBC COVERAGE

bingham

the coverage has been pretty good so far...Forrest has been great and has come on in leaps and bounds..my only complaint..the camera work... everytime a shot is taken or a successful tackle made the camera flashes to the players in question, meanwhile the game is going on..frustrating..sit the camara crew down and have them watch a couple of Premier League games.... this thing is driving me nuts!!

A great game though and some good individual performances..things are looking up!!

Echo everything you wrote. Camera men are going to have to learn to anticipate the flow.

Also mention that this last match against Chicago was worse than the 1st broadcast. Still good but a bit too long on the close ups and re-play action. They've got to learn (and accept) that they might not get a chance to show a re-play (as much as they want to). The on field play just might not allow for it

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Also mention that this last match against Chicago was worse than the 1st broadcast. Still good but a bit too long on the close ups and re-play action. They've got to learn (and accept) that they might not get a chance to show a re-play (as much as they want to). The on field play just might not allow for it

Oh so true. The last broadcast at times was quite annoying with the

close ups and missing the play on the field. This is not hockey where

there are a lot of TV stops; these guys have got to learn that.

Other than that, I enjoyed the game results and the tandem of Reed

and Forrest. ("Reed and Forrest" sounds like an accounting or

legal firm, eh?) ;)

Did they get the colours right.lol. Never mind I am giving my age away again,but the CBC broadcasted games in the very early sixties and yes yours truly was one of the players,I think it was in colour but anyway the point is it is not new to CBC,I find it so funny that in today's Star Chris Zelkie sort of showed his colours by complaining about the termonologie used by the above col/playbply guys and in fact seemed very upsett that the word football was used instead of soccer. hey Chrissy it is the Toronto Footbal Club and they play football. The other stuff was stolen and we are entitled to our name.

I will sent him an e mail, Chris and I exchange quite a few but this one he will have to stew about.Than there is Garth Woolsly who recommends that the security should be increased hinting this is soccer and we have that reputation.Hey Rudy keep those troops in line please. I would be very upsett if you don't.

Now about wednesday,how will we great my buddy and biggest nemises Dwayne I hope as loudly as possible and I was told that his father bought a thousand tickets for this game,It is kind of surreal this whole thing ,one game he is the hero and in the other he is the ennemy.

I hope we will give him and his family what they are looking for our total admiration and love and for our defense to shut him down. Everybody is happy.I wonder if the TFC management have something up their sleave to recognize him.

Whatever it is it is so great and so wonderfull.One more great evening in soccer on the lake.

I am happy to see by the way that you guys are paying attention to the quality as well as camera and tv direction. Sideline interviews are a no no. Soccer players and coaches are totally into the game and they just don't have any room for anything else. I remeber when Global started the broadcast the NASL games and I acted as an advisor for the crew.I suggested how to follow the ball on the camera operator's screenas well as how to pick up from a variety os screens in the production room.Brings back memories I just about forgotten about. It is a totally different world our soccer world and it will take some time for these broadcasters to find out and realize. In soccer you are not selling one thing or another it is all about the game while in our n.a sports it is all about the sponsores ,money that is and we may even take second place.No advertisements and things alike. A total new world our world and yes there will be clashes and I can see those N.A trained producers pulling their hair out. There will be big battles, but soccer will win, since we as experienced soccer viewers will demand it.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Echo everything you wrote. Camera men are going to have to learn to anticipate the flow.

Let's not lay it all at the feet of the cameramen. Sure, anticipation is their thing but shot selection is the responsibility of the director.

All the things you've mentioned are due to the director ... and unless they've brought in an experienced soccer guy, they've got a staff director with limited soccer experience calling the game.

That was a huge problem in the CSL days on TSN and may be a bit of the problem now although, in the main, CBC is doing well but do have to cut back on the crowd shots. If they are going to do crowd shots, stick to the supporters end where the people are up and lively. At centre field, they kept getting shots of people sitting down.

db

I thought the broadcast was pretty good, as far as the play by play goes. This is new for the CBC and hopefully they will improve as the season progresses. I agree with some people the sideline reporter has to go. Mind you I do not like it in other sports also

I have been satisfied with CBC's coverage. I just have a question about the games not broadcasted on CBC. I have a Dish and I am able to get FSC ESPN2, however I was wondering what DK stands for because they show some of the TFC games when no other channel I have does. Also I only have rogers basic cable so therefore I don't have The Score. Can anyone clarify for me what DK stands for and exactly what channel The Score is on so I could possibly get it on my Sat. Thanks guys.

B

I'm very impressed by this Nigel Reed. We've been crying out for the right "voice" of soccer, and his play-by-play is authentic and not too over the top for TV. The way he handled the first ever goal was terrific.

I'll tell you what though, the FANS at those games have become a side show. The supporters are becomming a story all to themselves and they've set a VERY high standard, not only for Canadian soccer and future MLS teams in Vancouver and Montreal, but the rest of the league.

The atmosphere at those games is like NOTHING I've ever seen for a soccer crowd in North America.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Someone can confirm this, but isn't it Direct Kick? the PPV MLS package for all games..

If it is Direct Kick than thats great! I'm sure I would beable to have that added. Awesome, thanks again.

B

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I'm very impressed by this Nigel Reed. We've been crying out for the right "voice" of soccer, and his play-by-play is authentic and not too over the top for TV. The way he handled the first ever goal was terrific.

I'll tell you what though, the FANS at those games have become a side show. The supporters are becomming a story all to themselves and they've set a VERY high standard, not only for Canadian soccer and future MLS teams in Vancouver and Montreal, but the rest of the league.

The atmosphere at those games is like NOTHING I've ever seen for a soccer crowd in North America.

I totally agree the atmosphere has been WAAAAY beyond all expectations

Had a most pleasant afternoon and in my conversation with the CBC guys,camera men,producers as well as Graig Forrest I learned that the audience for the last game was well over 200k.The producer,Glen Russel informed me that it is still a Toronto team and as such it is difficult to attract the rest of Canada.

Oops I forgot but next time I will.In fact I am glad you reminded me since it is still so flagrant,switching between the Fox report game hilites and than our stuff.The funny part is that the uniforms etc seem to be ok it is just that damn grass colour.

I live in Toronto, if I can't than I'll try to add The Score, I don't want to upgrade my cable to a different package for just one channel.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Where do you live? I don't think it is available here in Canada...

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Had a most pleasant afternoon and in my conversation with the CBC guys,camera men,producers as well as Graig Forrest I learned that the audience for the last game was well over 200k.The producer,Glen Russel informed me that it is still a Toronto team and as such it is difficult to attract the rest of Canada.

Where are they getting their numbers from? The standard source, BBM Nielsen Media Research, reports 128,000.

The producer told me that it peaked at just over 200k. So take your pick. I guees this is another way of looking at the ratings,peak and bottom ratings.

I guess there must be an average rating,yet the market guys sure would love to use the peak ratings. i can just see it,this m. guy trying to sell a commercial,giving them the peak rating and paying for that rating as well when in true fact on the average it may very well be half of it.Whatever.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Where are they getting their numbers from? The standard source, BBM Nielsen Media Research, reports 128,000.

Honestly, I'm very impressed with 128,000. A new team, a new event for CBC. Really not widely known outside the soccer community. Shows for excellent potential.

Off topic a bit....I'm shocked..truly shocked at TSN'S WHC numbers though..

I know we're a hockey nation, but I didn't think there was that much interest in WHC? Especially when the time of day (mornings mostly) is taken into consideration.....

But for Canadian soccer 128,000 is excellent!

The other thing he mentioned and I should have reported is that he also observed that this is a Toronto team and as such did not think than many other parts in Canada were watching this game.I guess this hit home and wondered if I would be watching a game if Vancouver would be the team,I don't know. In fact i don't even get less excited about Dutch soccer.I suppose the CBC has to do a selling job to convince Canada to watch a Toronto team, unless they sell it as the Canadian team in the MLS. I have not seen their commercials or promotions.

Archived