Sheffield U - Wigan, West Ham - Man U (R)

nolando

Anybody else havew the pleasure of seeing parts of these games? I love the fact that with promotion/relegation you can have some of the most exciting games of the season on the very last day. The pigs-wigan game was a bloodbath with high-octane level efforts from start to finish - Stead scored a dandy for Sheffield - a fearless header that nearless left him in the ambulance, but Wigan proved to too strong and won 2-1 on a goal by a guy who up until four months ago had been a pig. The West Ham game also was something special for at least large strtches of it. It looked like an NHL team killing a powerplay for most of the first half, with Man throwing something like twenty goal attempts at the Hammersa in the first half alone. It just had to be Tevez that scored, brilliant touches on a night when he made even likes of Ronaldo and Rooney look like plumbers. Still, when Man made a triple substitution and brought on Giggs, Ronaldo, and Scholes it looked like the tide would turn. In the end, West Ham held on for the win and will now have to wait and see if they can avoid a points deduction. A great night of football if there ever was one.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

In the end, West Ham held on for the win and will now have to wait and see if they can avoid a points deduction. A great night of football if there ever was one.

Yeah, it was an exciting 2 hours of football. I wasn't able to watch the Sheffield - Wigan match, but watched the West Ham game while constantly checking the score of the other. I was hoping Wigan would get relegated, but oh well...

BTW, Nolando, we don't have to "wait and see" about anything. West Ham is not gonna get deducted any points. The verdict has already come in. Sheffield might sue them, but that's only money.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The EPL isn't any better than Serie A in terms of its corruption. What they are better at is hiding it and making the fans think nothing of it.

Rrriiiiight, cuz nobody has talked about this at all over the last 6 months. [:o)]

The problem was the panel took too long to make a decision on the matter. A 3-point deduction in January would've seemed fair, but to give any kind of point deduction at this point would be very harsh. They'd effectively be giving West Ham the same penalty for a dodgey transfer as Juventus received for orgnaized crime that infiltrated all of Serie "A" for years on end.

If a point deduction was valid in January, it should also be valid in April/May. To say that it was too late in the season is a lame cop out. If you recall, Juve lost a lot more than 3 points and started this season with a point deduction.

If West Ham is guilty (and from what I've read, they are) the time the punishment is handed down shouldn't effect the severity of the punishment.

The EPL is protecting a rich club. That puts the integrity of the league into question.

It's a real shame.

If a point deduction was valid in January, it should also be valid in April/May. To say that it was too late in the season is a lame cop out. If you recall, Juve lost a lot more than 3 points and started this season with a point deduction.

If West Ham is guilty (and from what I've read, they are) the time the punishment is handed down shouldn't effect the severity of the punishment.

But unfortunately it does. A 3 point penalty now would be more severe than even a 10 point penalty would've been around the time the offence actually took place.

But are they guilty or not? What a horrible precedent the EPL is setting here.

The league will lose its integrity for next season if West Ham is in it.

Yes they are guilty (although the current ownership group had nothing to do with it). But not all offences should lead to relagation. The panel screwed-up by scheduling the announcement of their decision at this time of year. By waiting, they made their decision more difficult. In October they could've just said "3 point deduction. Next matter ... "

The change in ownership is another bogus excuse. What about corporate responsibilty?

Really, the lengths that people are going to defend the EPL screwing this up are crazy.

It's not that the penalty wasn't a joke. But to say the Premiership is at the level of Italian football when it comes to corruption is a massive exaggeration. This kind of thing happens every month or two in Italy!

But I would say this with every league: any point deduction should occur at the start of the season. If the season has started by the time a decision is made, the penalty should be enforced the following season. Otherwise, it's always gonna be a joke or seem fabricated (eg. like in Milan's case last year where their deduction conveniently had them sink to the final Champions League position, but no further).

If West Ham had lost to Man United yesterday, then even a 30-point penalty is meaningless when it comes at the end of a season. It's like sentencing a suicide bomber to death (like in that Ali G interview :D). But any point deduction at the start of the season hurts.

Gee, willlikers.....

Two of the three relegated teams in EPL only recently won promotion and the other was at best a mid-table team. No-one would have predicted the top 4 before the season started.......

In other earth shattering news....... SPL teams have filed a protest on SFL Div 1 Gretna gaining promotion to SPL on grounds rules......

......And the wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round.....

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, it was an exciting 2 hours of football. I wasn't able to watch the Sheffield - Wigan match, but watched the West Ham game while constantly checking the score of the other. I was hoping Wigan would get relegated, but oh well...

BTW, Nolando, we don't have to "wait and see" about anything. West Ham is not gonna get deducted any points. The verdict has already come in. Sheffield might sue them, but that's only money.

Rrriiiiight, cuz nobody has talked about this at all over the last 6 months. [:o)]

The problem was the panel took too long to make a decision on the matter. A 3-point deduction in January would've seemed fair, but to give any kind of point deduction at this point would be very harsh. They'd effectively be giving West Ham the same penalty for a dodgey transfer as Juventus received for orgnaized crime that infiltrated all of Serie "A" for years on end.

I don't think you intended to do this, but it looks like you are quoting me for someone else's comments. No biggie...but, anyways.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Gee, willlikers.....

Two of the three relegated teams in EPL only recently won promotion and the other was at best a mid-table team. No-one would have predicted the top 4 before the season started.......

What is unfortunate is that the 3 clubs to get relegated from the Premiership last season might all get promoted back this season. Sunderland and Birmingham have already secured their Premiership status for next season. And West Brom Albion are looking good in the playoffs so far.

Archived