Toronto Star: Brazil coach slips through the crack

Another major publication criticial of the CSA as Toronto Star Columnist Cathral Kelly criticizs the CSA and even a link to voyageurs web site with the letter of protest to the CSA.

link: http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/212283

First it was the G&M, Then Montreal Gazette and now the Toronto Star publicy criticising the CSA. Let keep up the fight! There could be some fire works at the AGM of the CSA. It is time to let them have it!

"With full respect to Hart, Mitchell or whichever man ends up succeeding long-absent Frank Yallop as the captain of our national vessel, a World Cup berth now seems further over the horizon than ever."

So very, very true.

honestly I can't agree with paddy, alot of people on the forum are acting like its all over already cause of the bureacratic situation but thats hugely over dramatic. Truth be told we'll probably have our most naturally gifted squad yet leading up to 2010, even if hart and mitchell aren't among the elite coaches of the world, I would say we have our best chance of qualification before qualification since as long as I can remember, you guys are acting like everything around the players is the be all and end all of it, the players are like at least 85% of the factor...

quote:Originally posted by Juby

honestly I can't agree with paddy, alot of people on the forum are acting like its all over already cause of the bureacratic situation but thats hugely over dramatic. Truth be told we'll probably have our most naturally gifted squad yet leading up to 2010, even if hart and mitchell aren't among the elite coaches of the world, I would say we have our best chance of qualification before qualification since as long as I can remember, you guys are acting like everything around the players is the be all and end all of it, the players are like at least 85% of the factor...

Been through this too many times...doesn't matter how gifted the team is if there is no infastructure and they dont get to play together. Not trying to be negative, just being realistic.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Been through this too many times...doesn't matter how gifted the team is if there is no infastructure and they dont get to play together. Not trying to be negative, just being realistic.

I agree with the part about preparation, I think that's the key here. If we have decent prep, we have a shot at getting to the Hex (getting there is what we need, after that anything can happen). But since we have talent now (a much bigger players pool than ever before) I think an average can qualify us from CONCACAF.

The point about infrastructure is for another debate, but as long as you have enough talented players and enough prep (that's the ? for the moment and I hope Linford will continue working on this and getting us games), it's possible.

the bold I just can't agree with cause it completely conflicts with my post, cause I think we've never seen this amount of talent, so we can't make assumptions because were in new waters. Besides that, even if the CSA does a terrible job, I doubt they'll all show up for the qualifiers and have to have an introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself to the team moment.

the bold I just can't agree with cause it completely conflicts with my post, cause I think we've never seen this amount of talent, so we can't make assumptions because were in new waters. Besides that, even if the CSA does a terrible job, I doubt they'll all show up for the qualifiers and have to have an introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself to the team moment.

If the talent shows up, if the coach plays the best players (not his buddies), if the prep games are there (lots of 'ifs'). We have had talented players before...I dont think anyone special has been introduced to the national team program since the last qualifying. I just see us going down the same path as last time, while teams like Guatemala (and now Haiti) will have umpteen prep games and will beat us again (the last game against Guatemala was meanlingless, to whomever may bring it up). I saw us play live in Vancouver and we were terrible, but on paper we were pretty stacked. I'll take a team over a group of individuals (what is what we will be) any day. I really hope I am wrong, but I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

I dont think anyone special has been introduced to the national team program since the last qualifying.

I think your ignoring our U-20 team, the only one involved last qualifying I beleive was peters and he's twice the player he was back then

I think your ignoring our U-20 team, the only one involved last qualifying I beleive was peters and he's twice the player he was back then

Not sure how long you have been following Canadian soccer, but if you were to compare our players for 86 to our players in 2002, there is no comparison, but a lot of those players in 86 were based in North America, playing in the NASL and it did help having North American based players who knew each other. Having a team of European professionals did nothing for our qualification chances last time around. In fact, the deeper our player pool has gotten, the worse we have done in qualification (minus the slight blip in 90 qualifications where we got dumped in a one off series), so it kind of negates the idea that pure skill is enough. We need players playing in the top leagues, but we also need, imo, more Canadian teams in the MLS (I just don’ think a Canadian league is viable) and we need an active B Canadian team. We need some consistent structure to incorporate players into – that is the infrastructure I was referring to.

Archived