2007 MLS Salaries

Gian-Luca

For those of you that haven't seen this posted yet on other boards:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/5_2_07_salary_info_club.pdf

To sum up the TFC salaries quickly: best bargain - what they are paying Goldthwaite, with MC2 probably in 2nd.

Biggest rip-off thus far - Andy Welsh (who is gettig paid more than Houston is paying DeRo - no wonder Dwayne in unhappy with his contract there), with Buddle finishing 2nd.

My calculation shows TFC currently spending 1,886,000 on salary, so the team has approx. $200,000 to 300,000 available under the cap plus any allocation money that may be used to acquire players or to subsidize the salary cap. Players also receive performance bonuses for wins and for advancing to the playoffs. These amounts are not included in either the base salary or guaranteed compensation.

Its nice to see Serioux and Jazic getting good pays for MLS standerds, I think Serioux's better though so it is a little odd to me that they get paid the same.

The best deal though I think is that Chicago got Blanco for less then half what LA is paying Beckham, and I consider Blanco to be a much better player considering he can actually head the ball, handle both feet well enough and although neither of em can tackle, at least blanco's a foreward

Saw that today in the papers. The highest paid TFC player is Carl Robinson at 315K. While I haven't seen anything to suggest that that is a rip off, I do question whether its money well spent to give a player of his calibre the most money. You mentioned the example of DeRo, DeRo is making half of Robinon's money. Who would you rather have?

I know that Robinson is a current internation with several caps to his credit. But, from my vantage point, Robinson has been OK. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll bet that you could get more impactful talent from Europe or South America on 315K per year.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Saw that today in the papers. The highest paid TFC player is Carl Robinson at 315K. While I haven't seen anything to suggest that that is a rip off, I do question whether its money well spent to give a player of his calibre the most money. You mentioned the example of DeRo, DeRo is making half of Robinon's money. Who would you rather have?

I know that Robinson is a current internation with several caps to his credit. But, from my vantage point, Robinson has been OK. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll bet that you could get more impactful talent from Europe or South America on 315K per year.

I completely agree. Mo is scouring the most over priced footballing country in the world for talent when there's comparably talented players that can be had for a fraction of the cost in other countries.

They are probably over-paying Robinson based on what we've seen so far, but its difficult to spend too much time criticizing that contract when Welsh is getting $200,000. It's arguable whether he is any more effective than Canizalez on the left flank, but there's no question in my mind that he's worth $160,000 more than MC2 - he's not.

Archived