BMO's FieldTurf

Cheeta

Been fighting The Dark Lord Lucifer over who'll have ultimate possetion of my PC the last couple of weeks and tonight during that struggle I realised the plastic at our National Stadium has gone completely unnoticed.

And Geezus, isn't that a absolute advert for this latest addition of FieldTurf?

Finaly re-watched the tape of Saturday's fixture and paided special note of the the ball's reaction to the plastic during the play.

Was quite good I thought.

Astheticaly, the field looked fairly good. The white of the lines was a bit too bold for me but acceptable. Ball seemed to bounce a bit hard initialy but settled down realy quickly on the 2nd bounce and ran exceptionaly true when played on the carpet (as you'd expect).

Speaking of the ball on the carpet, it didn't seem from my point of view to run along non stop as we're accustomed to seeing in the older versions of plastic. Surface drag on the plastic looked to mirror that of natural grass close enough. In addition the ball-spin did not seem overly exaggerated on contact with the FieldTurf. The spin didn't seem to "grab" the turf. Well done that.

Lads were throwing tackles throughout the match Saturday and while the usual cloud of pellets/sand/whatever did show now and again it wasn't as pronounced as some of the other recent versions of artificial turf.

All in all, to me at least the stuff looks to play pretty damn good.

I didn't really notice much difference either. The only thing that looks a little awkward is on the touchlines where the turf ends and the concrete begins. That is where you tell that its essentially a carpet and its a a bit of an eyesore if you are a purist. It would ahve been nicer IMO if the turf could have been extended on the surface right up to where the stands are.

Also, As it stands now, it looks like a serious injury waiting to happen. the concrete area is pretty close to the playing area

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Also, As it stands now, it looks like a serious injury waiting to happen. the concrete area is pretty close to the playing area

This was my initial reaction when I went to the "viewing party" at BMO last week. The concret is incredibly close to the playing surface. A sliding tackle near the sidelines on a wet day might result in knees getting torn apart on the concrete

Archived