One "know-nothing" reporter's take on opening day

Ben Knight

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

I AM responsible for global warming. i took it up after the anti-soccer media conspiracy collapsed in '03.

Damn, that was sneaky...what about making the grass a different colour during MLS telecasts?

Benny you are still an opportunist and fail to give credit to all these coaches who spent thousands of hours teaching these kids our game. These kids knew what they wanted,it was the media that kept it away from that inner conviction. There came the very big boys those that you don't ignore and yes MLSE prooved that the media can make it or brake it. The media yes they put up a fight and they are still in those trences but our kids in those stands tell the story.However I would like to caution that all these kids or I would say many of these kids still come from foreign parents. So the media is still lingering along and Benny stop calling it a conspiracy, I would call it being scared and afraid to write or talk about it. I am glad you finally found your way to Toronto FC. This world is changing rapidly and if you read my past comments I was so convinced of it's success since I knew that the interest was there and no longer could be stopped. Our Canadian youth showed the way and yes Mary Ormsby has the right idea, we need our song or two. We must let the world here who we are. Hey these songs could even spill over into Hockey. This would be so magic and so Canadian. Think about it.Any ideas what songs we should sing Benny?

Guest speedmonk42

Damn, thank you for writing exactly what I felt there.

Can we finally say the ethnic soccer myth in Canada is finally over?

I can't tell you how many soccer club presidents I have met over the years all over Canada. Almost all of them are people who grew up with the NASL, and rarely the classical soccer immigrant that is often portrayed as the reason soccer in Canada exists at all.

Speedmonk, I was blown away by what I saw last Saturday. I'm not going to claim I saw it coming, because I didn't. At all. I've got to say, I'm absolutely thrilled with what happened, and to hear so many fans voicing exactly the same thought? Wonderful. In the seven years I've been writing my soccer column, Toronto has seen exactly one visit from the national team (0-0 with Mexico in 2000) and now one top-division home game. It's going to be great to actually write about big-time soccer stories happening in my own beloved home town. Now bring on Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton. (And Calgary -- get yer act together!!)

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Damn, thank you for writing exactly what I felt there.

Can we finally say the ethnic soccer myth in Canada is finally over?

Been meaning to say that for a long time. In fact it always was a myth. Dont know how long you have been posting in this forum but way back in the day, this was a frequent topic of discussion that pitted a contributer named London Ontario Soccer fan versus a host of other individuals. I observed those discussions while accepting most of claims against the views that he held. But as time passed I got out more and more to games and talked to people, I have now realized that he ( London Ontario Socer fan) was 100% accurate. And, looking back, I have concluded that many of the counterviews were rooted in what was nothing more petty regionalism and maybe touch of zenophobia.

Most first second and third generation canadians will support local pro and National team soccer. You just have to give them a product to cheering for and let them know that at it atually exists. Also, you are just as likely to have fans cheering against Canada in one part of the country as you are in another part. The latter is another one of those famous Voyageur myths.

Benny that's it, no comments about my observations. I know you will steal my ideas and observations in a column and Benny I will be watching.

Our boys and girls effed the Canadian media and thanks go..., it is about time. For to long that excitement in those stands was kept away and the media made soccer look like ww3. Now the MLSE really showed these yo yo's what our kids want and demand and deserve. CANADIAN SOCCER. Now Benny it is your turn.It is all about that effen media and gowan and jerkins and others cannot stop it, it is here and it is here to stay,get it Benny the media lost big effen time.

Excellent article. A good description of the TFC fan. Now TFC needs to understand that many of these are likely young people who also grew up playing the sport and also understand it well. The focus has to be on building quality and credibility rather than glitz.

What OSA blazer. I spoke to a lot of people today at the media conference and without fail they all said that it is and was all up to the media. The media in Toronto are having a huge problem since for years they have been boycotting soccer and all of a sudden that horrible truth that they feared and fought and in sometimes dirty ways is staring them in their face, Soccer is here and soccer tommorow night is going to be so Canadian they will probably die,they will not be able to handle it,yes sir we will show these jerks what we wanted for so many years and yes we will be showing how Canadians feel about soccer and their great country. See you there and show these jerks it is about time, we have arrived and we will enjoy.

Archived