U-17 WCQ Canada vs USA [R]

Canada to face tough Americans

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Canada faces a stiff test Wednesday in the form of the U.S. at the CONCACAF world under-17 qualifying soccer tournament in Kingston, Jamaica.

Heat, injuries and a tough schedule have worked against Stephen Hart's team but the young Canadians are 1-0-1 midway through their quest. After playing the Americans, they wrap up against Trinidad and Tobago on Friday.

The top three teams in the five-country competition advance to the world championship, which runs from Aug. 18 to Sept. 9 in South Korea.

Haiti and Honduras have already qualified from CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. Their qualifier was in early April in Honduras.

Canada has a better shot at making this under-17 championship because the field has expanded from 16 to 24 teams.

"It's an opportunity," coach Hart said Tuesday.

CONCACAF sent just three teams to the 2005 tournament in Peru, which was won by Mexico. The Mexicans failed to advance this time out of the Honduras qualifying event.

Canada missed out on the 2005 tournament by goal difference and have not qualified since 1995.

The Canadians have not been well served by the schedule this time around, starting last Saturday and playing Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week.

Given the heat and humidity of Jamaica, it has made for a rough ride.

"It's become a nightmare for us," Hart said.

Adding to the concern is Regina defender-midfielder Drew Beckie, who collapsed during training. The team is awaiting results of medical tests and Beckie is back with the side but not training.

"He looked much better this morning, but still weak," Hart said.

Greg Smith, an attacking fullback from North Vancouver who has shown well at the tournament, is injured and will miss the American game.

The Canadians opened with a 3-0 win over Jamaica before tying Costa Rica 0-0 on Monday. Montreal's defender-midfielder Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis has been one of the Canadian standouts.

"He's certainly caught the eye of a number of people here at the tournament." Hart said.

The U.S. has played just one game, defeating Trinidad and Tobago 3-0 on Monday.

"They'll be probably in a better state to play us, but we're not using that as an excuse for the boys," Hart said. "We're trying to tell them it's just another test that they have to live with. But deep down, honestly, I'm not pleased with the schedule."

The Americans are well-prepared and have a fine track record at this level, qualifying for all 11 world tournaments to date. They are currently riding a 16-game unbeaten streak in CONCACAF qualifying play at this level, a stretch that stretches back to August 1996.

U.S. coach John Hackworth had the luxury of choosing from 40 available players at U.S. Soccer's under-17 residency program in Bradenton, Fla.

"For any coach, it's a dream to coach a team every single day," said Hart, who has nowhere near that luxury.

Costa Rica has a similar program and Jamaica is also thinking about going that way, Hart said.

"It's going to get harder for us," he said.

Canada has played the Americans twice in the last two years, losing 2-1 and 1-0, respectively.

"We're quite familiar with them," Hart said.

The Americans and Costa Ricans were considered the main threats going into the tournament, but Hart says Trinidad and Tobago have looked better than their 3-0 loss to the Americans would suggest.

Canada hosted the then under-16 FIFA championship in 1987. The Canadians also qualified in 1989, 1995 and 2003, but have never won a match at the competition, going 0-12-0. Canada has been outscored 42-3 at the tournament.

Players who have represented Canada at the championships include Jim Brennan, Paul Peschisolido and Paul Stalteri.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's tricky now for SH and the U-17's. They can go all out and try to get a result against the USA but still loose 1-0 and then having to play a must win (or tie) against a rested T&T squad....

Agreed. Considering the heat and the table, it looks like trying to play for a scoreless draw, getting most of the team behind the ball, and hoping to catch them on a counter. And maybe play some subs to let a couple or three rest for T&T. Their missing their best striker might help us execute that tactic.

not looking good early. Seems the US is all over our boys and have a 2-0 lead in the 28'. Fatigue and climate taking a toll on the CDNS by the sounds of the action, we need to keep the goal differential manageable.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Would seem to be a good opportunity to cap Street by playing him in the second half.

Acc to the matchtracker Street started.

Would seem to be a good opportunity to cap Street by playing him in the second half.

I just hope no coaching decisions will be made with cap-tying considerations behind it.

BTW, Street has already been capped since he started for us in 2005 U-17 WCQ. And he's in goal today....

Guest Jeffery S.

Cederic Carrie scores m. 56, he seems to be our most active player in attack. Whiteman gets the assist. So it's 2-1 and we seem to be having more play this half.

Another who seems active, in line with what was reported about his talent, is Lacoste-Lebuis.

Sylla subbed on for Parenteau-Michon at the half.

The US's Ibrahim sounds like a dangerous player.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Cederic Carrie scores m. 56, he seems to be our most active player in attack. Whiteman gets the assist. So it's 2-1 and we seem to be having more play this half.

Another who seems active, in line with what was reported about his talent, is Lacoste-Lebuis.

Sylla subbed on for Parenteau-Michon at the half.

The US's Ibrahim sounds like a dangerous player.

I've heard of him somewhere before. And it seems that he is involved in every single attacking play for the yanks.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I've heard of him somewhere before. And it seems that he is involved in every single attacking play for the yanks.

Abdus Ibrahim was taken in the last MLS draft by Dallas. He was highly touted, but is (obviously) very young.

cheers,

matthew

I just hope no coaching decisions will be made with cap-tying considerations behind it.

I disagree...we have to be more cynical to protect our players. Portugal capped tied up Fernandez as an Overage player in a meaningless youth game - the ultimate in cynical but effective nonetheless. I am not suggesting that we pick our teams based on passports, but if someone is good enough to be selected, and has other options, slipping him into a game somewhere along the line only makes sense.

I disagree...we have to be more cynical to protect our players. Portugal capped tied up Fernandez as an Overage player in a meaningless youth game - the ultimate in cynical but effective nonetheless. I am not suggesting that we pick our teams based on passports, but if someone is good enough to be selected, and has other options, slipping him into a game somewhere along the line only makes sense.

Street was cap-tied before he played for England last fall, and there's nothing stopping him to play for England except his 21 st birthday and the same apply for all our players with multiples nationalities (look at Marcel DeJong...). So, I'm gonna encourage our coaches to make their decisions on other facts then merit.

If you piss one deserving player by playing another one based on eligibility issues you might loose him in the end. Everyone on this forum has denounced politics at the CSA, but that would be the worst one we could install IMO. Very bad examples for our players. At least, let's play it right with those 16/17 yrs old.

Man, we're complaining about a coach who played his old buddies, what about a coach who's playing the "foreigners"???

if we are tied in points with another team for the 3rd and final spot what would be the tie breaker after goal difference, will it be goal for or result in direct confrontation?

Very well put, I was thinking same. For example, try to imagine a situation similar to the current one where a kid's parents travels long distances to see him play only to miss out because when that opportunity arises the coach has to play the politics makes his decison on politics rather than game situation. I could understand to some degree that we have to be cynical. But that applies to senior team players and the rules allow a youth level player to change national teams anyway. In no way should there be an urgency to cap tie any youth level player. Especially a U17 player. Besides, In five years from now a youth player like Street or anybody else is more likely sitting in College History classroom or flipping Burgers than standing on a pitch in front of 30,000 spectators. Correlaltion between excelling at a U17 int'l level and eventually as a senior is "iffy" at best. Heck, we even have a long time voyageur(and U-sectorite) amongst our own who has been capped by Canada at the youth level.

I will reiterate,as the point is getting lost in the debate: If a kid is good enough to make the team on his own merit, but might have other international opportunities, sliding him into a game that counts at some point, even as a youth, is something that should be utilized. There is a big difference between putting in a keeper for the last part of a lost game, or sliding an outfield player into the game to stake a "claim". It does have effect as the second country has to make a decision on the player before he turns 21. So, by default, Should Mr. DeJong not get capped by hollnad in the next 6 months, he becomes Canadian only by virtue of his youth appearances. We would have kept Fernandez, for example, had we got him a few minutes in Charleston, or some other official tournament or even a senior A friendly. Portugal would not have been able to cap tie him, well past 21, as an overage player in a youth tournament had we done so. I think there is a huge difference between being foolish - putting in a player who does not deserve to be on the team and being cynical - using a "time wasting" substitution to put in a player who has made the team as a reserve on his own merit or putting in a back up keeper for mop up duty.

I have pointed out the Portugal/Fernandez situation. I can also point to the US/Adu situation as an example of a cynical cap that tied a player to the US. Hell, add England/Hargreaves (mop up duty in a WCQ) for the first cap. Cynical? yes. Foolish? Absolutely not.

Archived