Asmir Begovic - Future Star?

torontofc

I've been doing some research on Canadian U20 players lately, and one player who has caught my attention is Asmir Begovic. I knew that this guy was a good GK, but now I am reading stuff like this on the Portsmouth webiste:

Bosnian-born Begovic signed a youth contract with Portsmouth in 2003 and goalkeeping coach David Coles believes he has all the attributes to become one of the best in the world.

I have seen him paly once or twice, and he looked solid. But is he really as good as they say he is?

He is also part of the Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" campaign.

So is he a future star in goal for Canada?

It will take at least 5 more years to know which one of Begovic, Wagenaar or Fernandes is the best young "canadian" keeper. It's too soon to know but all have talent, so anything is possible.

As for Begovic specifically, I liked what I saw last year against Brazil and I think one year playing reserves and some League 2 games in England will have helped him. The only negative I saw was is I thought he looked slow sometimes, but him being a big young keeper I think it's normal and he can work on that.

He was rock solid for a very poor team down in League Two. If I remember right, Macclesfield Town had not won a game until Asmir got loaned out to them. When he joined them they won 2 or 3 in a row.

So yeah, I would say he has some talent.

P.S. My mistake, I just saw on wiki that his first game was a draw, not a win (1-1).

Soured a bit on Wagenaar. Begovic though, liked what I've seen very much. But he's years and years away and anything can happen with all the players on the horizon over that sort of time frame.

Like Begovic. Big effing lad. Mobile. Mobile and "smart". Can hoof the ball a mile. Can't ask for much more besides experience.

Archived