Dale Mitchell Support Thread

I'm all for the Voyageur Protest Letter. I'm glad we're voicing the unanimous concern that the CSA is a poorly run organization. However, I've also noted discussion about protest banners for the May 11 friendly and a general sense of malaise that Rene Simoes will not be our next manager.

I understand that aside from ourselves and the players and former players, many in this country may not be aware of the failings of our national governing body. Having said this, I want to point out that this May 11 friendly is the biggest U-20 match on home soil in our history. It's also a celebration of one CSA accomplishment: the debut of the national stadium. This is a great moment for the U-20 players who have been incredibly committed to bringing Canada some glory at this world cup. I believe any *protest* dimishes their commitment to our cause.

I also want to point out that we should all be hoping that Dale Mitchell is the best manager in Canada. He will lead us to three straight U-20 world cups and hopefully to some glory. By my count, real qualification is still 18 months away, and DM's U-20 Red & White Army should be a major focus of our supporters club.

Again, I understand the resentment toward the CSA. But in the same way we argue that the players should represent the country and not the association, so should we. Canada v.Chile is only two months away!

Guest Jeffery S.

I think it is too bad that Linford was not more direct with Mitchell and Hart, telling them to dedicate themselves to their tasks with the youth and leaving his options open for the senior men.

As is Hart and Mitchell now know that their president does not support them for the senior men's post, which means that their employment situation is already compromised: the best support for Mitchell and Hart would have been Linford being able to say, "hey, we are 100% behind you for these crucial tournaments, but want to hire someone else for the senior men. We are not going to hire internally."

Sure, all this in hindsight.

I am totally behind both Hart and Mitchell. I think Mitchell is okay, acceptable, but nothing great. This group is not as talented as the bunch who went to quarter finals in 2003, and so if we get that far with Mitchell I will give him some credit. Indeed if Mitchell can get us out of the group stage and maybe past the final 16 (depending on the rival it will be a reasonable result to end there) and Hart can qualify us for the world's, great results both I say.

I don't think it is so much a "malaise" over not having Rene Simoes chosen but a continued frustration of the lack of vision and not going forward that many of us who have been supporting Canadian soccer have witnessed for far too long. This is not a knee jerk response from some novice supporters. Dale Mitchell has a lot of support from the Voyageurs and many would love to see him manage the mens team some day. The fact is that the CSA has run the ship into the rocks. The repairs need to be made asap. I'd rather be a on the rough seas on a journey towards the paradise that is the world cup than stuck on the desolate shores without any kind of hope.

Fair enough, but it looks 99% sure Dale Mitchell is going to be leading this clipper ship to South Africa. Given the fact that he's leading us to his third U-20 WC and will still have at least a year to prepare for qualifying, all is not lost.

I realise that those who've been around the board for awhile can see that the issue in recent threads is the dysfunctionality of the CSA. However, a lot of other people seem to think we're sunk for 2010 without Simoes. I merely wish to point out that Mitchell is doing good things as we speak and will have time to prepare us for qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Fair enough, but it looks 99% sure Dale Mitchell is going to be leading this clipper ship to South Africa. Given the fact that he's leading us to his third U-20 WC and will still have at least a year to prepare for qualifying, all is not lost.

I realise that those who've been around the board for awhile can see that the issue in recent threads is the dysfunctionality of the CSA. However, a lot of other people seem to think we're sunk for 2010 without Simoes. I merely wish to point out that Mitchell is doing good things as we speak and will have time to prepare us for qualifying.

Agree. I'm piss with the way things went with the Board and Simoes but I still believe a guy like Mitchell can qualify us to a WC if the CSA gives him the games/camps he needs to do so. I just hope the dissessions at the CSA were only about the MNT coach and they remain loyal to their commitment to get more games to our MNT (what was said when they fired Pipe).

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

If Mitchell can get this U-20 group out of the first round then he has my support to take over the reins of the MNT.

All I wanted is for Canada to have an internationally recognized coach with experience at the senior level. My problem with Mitchell and Hart is that no other Soccer Association on this planet would select either of them to run their Men's National Team program, and for good reason.

The issue is really not so much about the coach per se. The issue is a lost opportunity to make significant changes in the manner in which we approach the game in Canada. Mitchell's qualities as a game day coach may well be up to snuff - I personally think he could use a little more seasoning, but he has had a decent run at U-20 - but the structural organization - the lack of games, vision and commitment from the CSA towards the Senior National team is what has to change, and I am not so sure that Mitchell, under these circumstances can leverage that change. I hope that Mitchell see that the CSA is in a tough place, and uses any job offer to leverage the resources he will need to get the job done. I don't think any coach can get us to 2010 without a significant reduction in the lethargy associated with the senior men's team. Frankly, If I was advising Dale Mitchell, I'd tell him to take a pass at this point in the interests of his longer term coaching career if he can't get specific guarantees regarding resources - budget, games, camps etc. - as part of his deal. I don't think he has the fall back position that was available to Yallop.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

If Mitchell can get this U-20 group out of the first round then he has my support to take over the reins of the MNT.

All I wanted is for Canada to have an internationally recognized coach with experience at the senior level. My problem with Mitchell and Hart is that no other Soccer Association on this planet would select either of them to run their Men's National Team program, and for good reason.

It's a horrible example, but the English FA selects (relatively) less qualified managers all the time: McLaren, Keegan, Hoddle :)

I am sure that Dale is a nice guy, but I have no confidence in him leading the men's national team. I will expect Yallop-esq results in the next qualifying round. I really think we need a foreign injection into our program...especially someone familiar with CONCACAF (preferably Latin).

I agree with you, YNWA. The letter for me is not a call to hire Simoes specifically, but rather to voice frustrations over the dysfunctional handling of the men's national team as exemplified by not being able to hire a coach in nearly a year.

I for one will not be taking part in any anti-CSA protest on May 11th. I'll be there to watch the game & cheer on our boys, as I think will most people (except for Argentinian supporters who will be cheering on their boys).

Guest speedmonk42

Very early on I came out against RS, which I admitted was a gut reaction and not based on any information.

Over time though I came to like the idea, and now I am a little disappointed and feel it would have been a worthy experiment.

Mitchell isn't Yallop.

I don't think we will see a repeat of that scenario.

The only thing that sucks about Mitchell is the timing. How much attention can one give to two teams in May/June

Dale Mitchell is the best choice for the job, should have been given the job already and has my unreserved support.

Rene Simoes? Half a mil? in Canada? you're having a laugh!

Mister Mitchell and the Nats take the field in South Africa 2010:

------Lars------

--Edgar---McKenna--

Stalteri-------Klukowski

-------Nsaliwa----

-------Attiba------

JP----Hume---Simpson

-----Friend--------

Guest Jeffery S.

Mitchell has shown some problems in player selection with the kids, and will quite likely repeat those problems with the seniors. I don't think he has top technical qualities as a coach. Neither does he have the support of the CSA nor of all the players, some of whom came out and seemed to have supported a move like Simoes.

But the real issue is that he is not a really quality soccer mind, and his people handling is only average. I think he can work with the younger bunch, though this summer, playing at home, we are probably going to better than corresponds to our real quality. But I think he is only average for our national men, and I am convinced he is uncapable of building a group capable of qualifying for the World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I don't think it is so much a "malaise" over not having Rene Simoes chosen but a continued frustration of the lack of vision and not going forward that many of us who have been supporting Canadian soccer have witnessed for far too long. This is not a knee jerk response from some novice supporters. Dale Mitchell has a lot of support from the Voyageurs and many would love to see him manage the mens team some day. The fact is that the CSA has run the ship into the rocks. The repairs need to be made asap. I'd rather be a on the rough seas on a journey towards the paradise that is the world cup than stuck on the desolate shores without any kind of hope.

here here...rarely have I agreed more with a response

quote:Originally posted by canso

Dale Mitchell is the best choice for the job, should have been given the job already

But this is part of the frustration with what has happened. With all due respect to the U20 team, if we were going to go with Dale Mitchell all along we could have given Dale the job nearly a year ago & let him start his preparation then.

We've waisted a year of possible preparation with a new coach for nothing, & Dale will not have any competitive games under his belt by the time he starts World Cup Qualifying.

G-L, this last bit is bollocks:

August 22: Match vs ICELAND in Reykjavik, Iceland

September 8: No match scheduled

September 12: Match vs COSTA RICA in Toronto

October 13: No match scheduled

October 17: No match scheduled

November 17: No match scheduled

November 21: No match scheduled

He could have as many as 7 matches before year-end. And he'll have 6 months in 2008. He's overseen 48 U-20 matches in under 5 years as gaffer. That's almost 10 per year. Not too shabby.

quote:

He could have as many as 7 matches before year-end. And he'll have 6 months in 2008. He's overseen 48 U-20 matches in under 5 years as gaffer. That's almost 10 per year. Not too shabby.

Yes, we could have as many as 7, but knowing the CSA, it will probably end up being 3 or 4.

I think a requisite for anyone taking the job should be to demand a minimum of games leading up to the world cup. I would, or else it would just invite failure and criticism.

On a side note: it would be good to get some team Canada usage out of the new Toronto stadium. If only those fans would show up for the national team (they did a great job today - nice to see the disparate elements in TO unite). They could even wear the TFC jerseys as they look like Canadian ones. It looked like a great venue, too. Hope Vancouver follows suit.

I am disappointed with the incompetence of the CSA, however, if Dale Mitchell is the coach that we end up with, then I think that we as fans can count ourselves lucky. Here is a loyal, hard-working coach who is almost finished paying his dues - a fine performance at the U-20s will fill all of us with confidence - and there has not (to my knowledge) been one peep of dissent from Mitchell about the adventures of the CSA. What this says to me is that Mr. Mitchell knows how to handle difficult situations with forbearance and intelligence.

If he's the man, then I believe he can lead our men to success.

The key to Mitchell's success--or any National coach for Canada--will depend fully on the support he receives from the CSA, and I am not talking about Linford's preferring to hire Simoes here. I am talking about a commitment to getting our guys together for many prepatory games, for loads of practice time etc. I think Mitchell is tactically a stronger coach than Yallop, is better suited for the challenges of international play than Yallop, who we all know prefers to be a day-to-day manager with a club than a national team coach who sees his players very infrequently. Mitchell knows CONCACAF, had tonnes of international experience, and though he might not have that extra je ne sais quoi that a Simoes might bring, he ain't half bad. If he and the team do not, however, get the full support they need, it won't matter a jot who he is and what he can bring to the challenge of qualifying.

I never thought that Mitchell would be a bad choice. I saw very little from his work as an under 20 coach to give me any concerns about his ability and the direction that he would take the senior side. The only quibble that I might have is that I see his teams ( eg>: U20) playing a game that is too linear for my liking. The linear and game of high pace that I tend to associate Mitchell with is not that dissimilar to what we saw from some of his predecessors.

He knows the program and he wont make outrageously rediculous demands on the program like Simoes did in demanding to bring his own strenght and conditioning coach as well as a goalkeeping coach. WTF do Canadians need to learn from brazilians in the area of strenght and conditioning. Similarly, from what I have seen in int'l soccer, Brazilian keepers are hardly torch bearers or pillars of execllence when it comes to this aspect of the game. Yes, I know, technical skills and individual skills are another story.

Someone mentioned some concerns about poor players selections. This is total nonsence. I'd be curious to know on what valid premise or know how does anyone on this board possess to critique the player selection of U20 team other going by what is written in a players bio. We have all read the player bios and I completely I fail to see what there is to question about the player that he has chosen in. Any players who plays at a level of any note has been called by Mitchell. Unless, of course they failed to show the right level of committment to the program.

Another plus for Mitchell is the current state of the Mens National Team. At this time, I fail to see how a coach like Simoes could have made a huge difference going into 2010 given the quality and depth of the talent pool. Of course, I hope that I am wrong and we know that things can change very quickly. But, the greatest coaches in any sport need the horses. One could objectively conclude that 2014 is a more realistic target. With that in mind, what good is Simoes? and, wouldn't a caretaker type coach be the best option? I cant think of anyone else who fits teh caretaker discription better than Dale Mitchell.

Guest speedmonk42

The success of ANY Canadian coach can be summed up by...

1. Directly Proportional to the number of Quality Prep Games.

2. The number of quality prep games is directly proportional the number of players released by their pro teams.

3. The number of players released by their pro teams is directly proportional to who asks, the opposition, their status and the number of hours they have to fly to the game.

4. Uh oh.

Archived