Coaching Situation: An Official Voyageur Protest

Grizzly

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

WHO ARE THE PRESS CONTACTS ?

We have some for the Voyageurs Cup. I am slowly putting together more. We could use anything you have from Nova Scotia or the Maritimes in general. Send them to me by e-mail.

Guest Jeffery S.

WHO ARE THE PRESS CONTACTS ?

We have some for the Voyageurs Cup. I am slowly putting together more. We could use anything you have from Nova Scotia or the Maritimes in general. Send them to me by e-mail.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I do not know any journalists, but their e-mail addresses are easy to find.

Guest Jeffery S.

To update: I have sent the letter out to a few dozen contacts and have gotten a few very kind replies. I have maybe half of it still to go, it is slow as it was recommended that I send it personally to each contact.

Perhaps I should not reveal the source, but one person has sent it on to the CSA and the provincial associations, which I was going to get to on Monday (will still do so). And it seems that folks are talking about it and it has caused considerable comment.

Remember the AGM of the CSA is on Wednesday.

To update: I have sent the letter out to a few dozen contacts and have gotten a few very kind replies. I have maybe half of it still to go, it is slow as it was recommended that I send it personally to each contact.

Perhaps I should not reveal the source, but one person has sent it on to the CSA and the provincial associations, which I was going to get to on Monday (will still do so). And it seems that folks are talking about it and it has caused considerable comment.

Remember the AGM of the CSA is on Wednesday.

Who has the letter been sent to ?

Guest Jeffery S.

Who has the letter been sent to ?

In the Maritimes I sent, so far, to the first 7 on your list above, plus all the provincial soccer associations, when possible president, vp, and executive director. Not all e-mails are working for me off their respective websites.

In total I have sent out to some 60 press people plus the CSA and provincial associations.

Guest Jeffery S.

wow!

If you want to send to the last four, and any more (eg, tv sports desks) go ahead, I won't do more until tomorrow.

I sent them individually, and put the letter as plain text, and the subject has been:

Soccer: The Voyageurs Protest

WHERE IS GOING TO TAKE PLACE THE AGM? SOMEBODY KNOWS?

WE SHOULD PROMOTE A VOYAGUERS STREET PROTEST OUTSIDE THE AGM!

WE CAN PROTEST AND MAKE THE TV AND PRINTING NEWS COVER. WE NEED THAT... SOMETHING CSA DOESNT WANT.

ANYBODY INTERESTED?

Gents, I suggest you send a copy of your protest to the Ottawa Citizen, attention Richard Starnes. He did an interview with Rene Simoes right after the stinking news came out of the CSA toilet bowl. Starnes may be interested to follow up on this. Since the CSA is HQ'd in Ottawa near their sugar daddies at Heritage Canada...the protest should start right there.

The idea of banners at all the U20 games would be great. CSA will fear Fifa's concern over this protest so expect a bit of security enforcement if you know what I mean. But protests across the street can be prevented I suppose, nor interviews on the radio/TV.

This situation is totally unacceptable and the protest letter is bang on. The inner circle of the select few seems to take the grants and nice salaries for granted as a lifetime entitlement. It is about time that the masses wake up to the illusions fed to all. The <system> is broken at its foundation. Linford said it right when claiming that the landscape has changed and the a serious wind of change coming from the south is timely. He should however resign from his position after such overt vote of non confidence by the BOD...and BOD members should now come under tight scrutiny as to who they owe their position to...

Perhaps cutting back on the overhead and reinvesting on those who can actually do something to improve the NT and the development philosophy would be...oh...such a fresh start.

Please do not let this issue die. Speak to friends, teams,clubs and associations. The CSA have our tax dollars AND are a good portion of our playing fees to fill their comfortable boots and expensive gatherings...so the shareholders need to rise up!!

Just to set the record straight, president of the CSA is a volunteer position, as are presidents of the provincial associations who make up the bulk of the CSA board of directors. There are no 'nice' salaries paid to these people.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by joga bonito

Gents, I suggest you send a copy of your protest to the Ottawa Citizen, attention Richard Starnes.

I have had problems finding contact info and e-mails for the papers in the canada.com network, including the Citizen. Does anyone have his email address or a way of getting our letter to him personally?

In fact I would like to find the way to get all the sports desk contacts for the canada.com papers and for Global.

CSA is a federally funded sports body through Sports Canada.

I know I haven't but has anyone written to Sports Canada pointing out that CSA is not carrying out it's mandate across Canada and is a shambles. Asking for funds to be frozen pending a Sports Canada investigation into use of federal funds given the CSA.

I've been a bit busy the last few days so haven't been able to comment but a fine job by Jeffrey in revising the text and sending out the letter. I think the titles for various sections is effective in setting out the main message of the letter. If it is true that the CSA will announce Mitchell as head coach in the next couple of days I think it is important to get this message out quickly before it is overshadowed. The idea is not to weaken Mitchell (for all we know and will know in a couple of years he may have been the best candidate) but the purpose of the letter is to show the CSA directors that they no longer operate in a vacuum and will be held accountable for their actions. Our purpose is to make sure the CSA operates in a professional manner in the future and gives the Men's National Team the attention it deserves.

I actually think if Mitchell is announced as head coach we should put out a second letter showing our support for him as long as his actions as head coach warrant this (ie. good results/tactics, players chosen on merit not personal relationships, etc.). Plus we should make it clear that since the CSA probably saved money by hiring him (we don't have to say this exactly) they should provide him with the necessary number of friendlies to prepare the team properly. Any national team coach should start with our full support and only lose it if they are not doing their job properly. Since the scarf issue has been somewhat divisive lately, hopefully the attempt to present a common voice in regards to what we expect from the CSA/head coach will at least unify the Voyageurs somewhat and raise our profile as a voice to be reckoned with in Canadian soccer.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I've been a bit busy the last few days so haven't been able to comment but a fine job by Jeffrey in revising the text and sending out the letter. I think the titles for various sections is effective in setting out the main message of the letter. If it is true that the CSA will announce Mitchell as head coach in the next couple of days I think it is important to get this message out quickly before it is overshadowed. The idea is not to weaken Mitchell (for all we know and will know in a couple of years he may have been the best candidate) but the purpose of the letter is to show the CSA directors that they no longer operate in a vacuum and will be held accountable for their actions. Our purpose is to make sure the CSA operates in a professional manner in the future and gives the Men's National Team the attention it deserves.

I actually think if Mitchell is announced as head coach we should put out a second letter showing our support for him as long as his actions as head coach warrant this (ie. good results/tactics, players chosen on merit not personal relationships, etc.). Plus we should make it clear that since the CSA probably saved money by hiring him (we don't have to say this exactly) they should provide him with the necessary number of friendlies to prepare the team properly. Any national team coach should start with our full support and only lose it if they are not doing their job properly. Since the scarf issue has been somewhat divisive lately, hopefully the attempt to present a common voice in regards to what we expect from the CSA/head coach will at least unify the Voyageurs somewhat and raise our profile as a voice to be reckoned with in Canadian soccer.

Grizzly, since you started the thread, perhaps you could now change the title, eliminate the question mark.

Could we make this a sticky for a week or so? Suggesting it as I have heard from some press people suggesting they will mention it in columns this week (one was Pat Hickey at the Mtl Gazette), which we will likely be linking to here.

Grizzly, since you started the thread, perhaps you could now change the title, eliminate the question mark.

Could we make this a sticky for a week or so? Suggesting it as I have heard from some press people suggesting they will mention it in columns this week (one was Pat Hickey at the Mtl Gazette), which we will likely be linking to here.

How about a new thread, with the first post being the finalized letter, and make that sticky? Then we can add links to articles where it is mentioned, etc. to that thread instead of mixing it with the development of the letter in this thread. If you like that idea, go ahead and start it, then I or one of the mods will sticky it later.

Let's not forget this opportunity was not only to select a head coach for the NT...but also to effect some serious changes on how players are developed (if one reads the 'plan' that Simoes offered to Linford and co. and that Linford was so excited about). There lies the real problem at this point in time. Mitchell and anyone else from within, and for that matter anyone 'just hired to head the NT' will have little impact on the establishment below...where the fat salaries/little ouput remain. And that establishment certainly has influenced on the groupthink that ails the canadian system. And when I referred to salaries - I certainly aimed at those in the system that benefit from being part of that influencial inner network of benefactors.

I suppose the imperialism still prevails in Canadian Soccer circles.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

How about a new thread, with the first post being the finalized letter, and make that sticky? Then we can add links to articles where it is mentioned, etc. to that thread instead of mixing it with the development of the letter in this thread. If you like that idea, go ahead and start it, then I or one of the mods will sticky it later.

Hi. I'm fine with that, don't have time now, will do it in a few hours. So far we have links on the BC and Ontario soccer webs, plus mention on radio. I also posted it on Big Soccer.

Archived