Coaching Situation: An Official Voyageur Protest

Grizzly

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

respect, man... i really appreciate the way you are thinking on this...you and me are going to end up drinking buddies by the end of all of this at the rate we are going ;>

Would suggest changing the headline to something like "Canadian Supporters Protest the Hiring Process for the Coach of the Canadian Men's National Soccer Team"..it's still wordy as hell but it stops people from asking who the heck the voyageurs are, and sounds a bit more official. Let's face it. We ARE the (only) Canadian supporters. One and the same.

I saw a minor typo in your hockey reference, "Canadian" spelled wrong, I think. I would probably scrap the whole hockey reference as it puts us in the position of looking a bit amateurish; an unnecessary and desperate-looking comparison to a more major reference point. Imagine German Ice Hockey supporters trying to compare themselves to the money and the support and the professionalism of German soccer organizations. No need for it here, in my opinion at least, as our argument is strong enough without having to try and hit these guys over the head with it.

An idea - why don't we try and get this news release out to some of the players too? We know through our own contacts and the widespread use of player's personal websites that we can get it out to many if not most of the main first team guys.

Again I applaud you, Grizz. These people here are like a family in the truest sense - we don't always agree but most of us damn well agree when it comes down to important things, like the preservation of the things that matter most.

I agree with Nolando, you can remove the 2 references/comparisons to Hockey Canada. The release should be about the CSA and soccer in Canada only.

Otherwise that's a well written statement!

Note: Anyone else notice that the Exec. Committee has numerous Italian-Canadians on it? And the main board of Prov. reps. has caker names...just sayin'

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I agree with Nolando, you can remove the 2 references/comparisons to Hockey Canada. The release should be about the CSA and soccer in Canada only.

Otherwise that's a well written statement!

Note: Anyone else notice that the Exec. Committee has numerous Italian-Canadians on it? And the main board of Prov. reps. has caker names...just sayin'

Yes, I noticed that about the italians in the Board. It's funny because we often see posters accusing the CSA to be a bunch of British ex-pats.

Might be good to give some facts about the Voyageurs (e.g. a supporter organization representing x number of soccer fans from Halifax to Vancouver, etc...) so people who don't know much about the V's can get a picture of how much clout they have.

I took a run at Grizzly's release. I tried to make it a little bit shorter, but I don't know if I succeeded. Also, cleaned up some typos/grammar things.

Edit: Suggested changes are in red. Significant changes that I made are in blue.

The Voyageurs Protest the Hiring Procedure for the Canadian National Soccer Coach

The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has been without a head coach for the Men's National Soccer Team since the resignation of Frank Yallop in June 2006. For a similar amount of time the CSA has also been without a Technical Director. In order to fill these positions, the CSA established a search committee, consisting of the CSA executive committee, and consulted with members of the Canadian National Team. The candidate selected by the committee as the top choice to fill both positions was Rene Simoes. After months of delays in making a decision, the Board of Directors did not approve the hiring of Mr. Simoes despite the recommendation of the search committee. Recent media reports have stated the reasons for this decision were not the financial demands of Mr. Simoes but rather the political motives of CSA board members which are entirely unrelated to soccer. Based on these reports, the Voyageurs have banded together to condemn the CSA's actions as thoroughly unacceptable.

The Voyageurs are a national group of Canadian soccer fans. Our mandate is to promote Canadian soccer in our country and be a visible presence at every national team game, both at home and abroad. Our numbers have risen consistently since our formation in 1996 and consist of membership from Victoria to St. John's and all around the world. We travel great distances to watch our national teams play and to support those players who are proud to wear the red and white.

While we understand that it is not our place to determine who is the best candidate for the head coach position, we find it completely unacceptable that the search committee's recommendation was seemingly ignored for political reasons. We are currently at a point where team preparedness is of the utmost importance as the Gold Cup (North America's soccer championship) and the qualification stage of the World Cup are both rapidly approaching. The fact that a coach has not been hired at this point is completely unacceptable. The selection process has taken far too long and has not proceeded in a professional manner befitting of a national governing body of a major sport.

In 1986, Canada made its only appearance in the World Cup. Since then we have failed to qualify for 5 consecutive World Cups. Qualification for the World Cup provides exposure for our program which could only result in increased funding for the CSA itself and Canadian soccer nationwide. It only makes sense to give the program priority when qualification happens every four years.

The poor performance of the CSA and its affiliated provincial associations over the last 20 years is due in large part to its directors not being held accountable for their unsuccessful policies. Despite soccer's popularity across the country, the low profile of the sport has allowed the CSA and the provincial associations to be operated free from proper scrutiny. Technically, members of the board of directors are responsible to the clubs and amateur soccer players in their provinces yet very few of these players and organizations are aware of the role that their provincial representatives have in the running of our national teams. The fact that a majority of Canadians are unaware that Canada even has a Men's National Soccer Team is a sign of the failure of the CSA to promote the team properly. Yet it is this anonymity that allows the same group of directors to function in secret and not be held accountable for their failed policies.

As long time fans of the Canadian national teams and promoters of soccer in Canada, the Voyageurs want to change how the governing body of our sport is operated. We have suffered through two decades of incompetence at the CSA and it is time for a positive change in an organization we have lost all confidence in. The CSA`s operating budget consists of a significant amount of tax money, as well as a portion of the fees that every registered soccer player pays, and it is time to analyze how this money is spent. Transparency and availability of audited financial reports is necessary. It is time to scrutinize how the various members of the board, including the respective presidents of the provincial associations, have acquired their positions, what their qualifications are and above all to hold them individually responsible for the decisions they are making.

Canadian soccer is thriving despite the poor treatment of the Men's National Team by the CSA and the provincial associations. Canada now has professional soccer players playing in most of the major soccer leagues in Europe including the English Premiership, the German Bundesliga and Spain`s La Liga. We have the talent to qualify for the next World Cup if the team has a good coach and is given the proper preparation. Our players come from all over the globe to play for their country and it is about time that we give them the support they deserve. The Voyageurs demand that the recommendation of the hiring committee be honoured by the Board of Directors. The Voyageurs demand that the Canadian Soccer Association and its individual members operate in a more professional manner and be held accountable for their actions and we will do everything in our power to ensure that this is the case in the future.

Guest Jeffery S.

Grizzly, I too think this is excellent, and as I think that it is as important for us to say something as it is to get all the little details perfect, I would not want to quibble with too many details.

I agree with other posters here that the hockey references perhaps open a debate that could complicate our position, instead of simplifying it.

I would not use the term "bureaucrats" to refer to the CSA members as it is not technically correct.

Given the apparent cause of the failure to hire Simoes, I think some mention could be made of the provincial associations and their responsibility to the national program, as otherwise the ones apparently boycotting will get off scott free. For example:

"...During this time the CSA and its affiliated provincial associations have not always operated in a professional and competent manner and the Men's National team has not been a priority for these organizations. In addition to the difficulties of qualifying for the World Cup, the national team has suffered the additional difficulties of inadequate funding and preparation for the tournament. The priorities of the CSA and the provincial associations have been focused on recreational soccer. While recreational soccer is indeed an important aspect of developing Canadian soccer, both provincial associations and the national sports body must also be committed to developing elite players and facilitating the success of the Canadian national team."

Later on an addition could be made in the same line of thinking: "...It is time to scrutinize how the various members of the board, including the respective presidents of the provincial associations, have acquired their positions, what their qualifications are and above all to hold them individually responsible for the decisions they are making."

Final suggestion: a blurb like those at the end of Voyageur Cup press releases saying who we are, and contact information (I would agree if Grizzly and others who have dealt with the press before for us, such as Matthew or DJT, were contact people).

Anyways, just suggestions. My reason for suggesting them is simply that it appears that the CSA could be facing a de facto institutional boycott of its policies from the provinces, and if this is the case it would not be right to put all the focus on the CSA. A bit of pressure on the provincial presidents would also be appropriate at this time.

But all in all excellent Grizzly. I would agree to it being a Voyageurs press release.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to sign it, but if the majority agree to the contents we could pass that up and make it a statement from all of us. We have certainly done this before in the past, so this could be another case.

It should go to the press, to the board members of the CSA including provincial reps, to MPs, and even to the major clubs and leagues in the country.

I would stick to facts that are public. To suggest that a hire was not made for political reasons is pure conjecture. It may be correct, but you have now idea of knowing that.

The facts that are public are damning on their own. A simple compilation of Linfords public musings (juxtaposed vs. CSA press releases, timelines of inactivity, etc...) would be more than enough to make the case that the CSA is harming soccer in Canada and would not expose the overall argument to counter assertions regarding said conjecture.

Good on ya Grizzly for actually sitting down and typing that out.

I agree with the comments of the last few posters, and personally, I have one change that I think would be beneficial.

In the line, "Despite soccer's popularity as a recreational sport, the low profile of the sport has allowed the CSA to be operated by bureaucrats whose decisions are not put under very much scrutiny."

I was thinking changing it to one of the following,

a) "Despite soccer's popularity across the country, the low profile of the CSA has allowed a group of beaurocrats to make decisions which seem to reflect more of their personal agendas, than the agenda of the people and the country they are supposed to represent."

OR/ if that was perhaps a little too accusatory, this may be better:

B) "Despite soccer's popularity across the country, the low profile of the CSA has allowed it to be run by group of bureaucrats whose decisions do not recieve the scrutiny they so desperately require."

My reasoning for making this minor change is because I think you want to emphasize how widespread soccer is across the country, and yet at the same time how little is known about the CSA and its operations.

I think the more we can keep the spotlight on the CSA and make it look like they are acting in the shadows, when no one is looking, etc., the better our point will be driven home.

Obviously, these are simply my suggestions and do with them what you will.

Grizzly, however the final draft turns out, well done big man.

Grizz,you're definitely on the right track with this. Give it a couple of days and see what else might transpire and what other suggestions and ideas come forth. I really believe that this deserves the support of all Voyageurs and is as important as anything we've done in supporting the national team.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I took a run at Grizzly's release. I tried to make it a little bit shorter, but I don't know if I succeeded. Also, cleaned up some typos/grammar things.

I like the improved version except for this line:

quote:

It is time to take back our sport from the unqualified bureaucrats who have made Canadian soccer the laughing stock of the sports world, both nationally and internationally.

as I think it is over the top & would also not use the "unqualified bureaucrats" to describe the applicable members of the CSA (at least, not if this is going to be sent to the CSA).

Overall, I'm rather keen that we come across as reasonable, concerned supporters with a justifiable grief rather than raving fanatics who don't deserve to be taking seriously. For the most part the letter does the former, but this line suggets (IMO) a bit of the latter, hence my suggestion.

My two cents, anyway.

Canadian soccer is thriving despite the CSA and not because of it.

Also how about changing this line to "Canadian soccer is thriving despite the poor treatment of the Men's National Team by the CSA" or something of that ilk?

Great writing and great revisions. Here are my two cents. Proposed revision in italics:

The CSA`s operating budget consists of a significant amount of tax money, as well as a portion of the fees that every registered soccer player pays, and it is time to analyze how this money is spent. Transparency and availability of audited financial reports is necessary.

An idea on the updated letter could be in the line, "Recent media reports have stated the reasons for this decision were not the financial demands of Mr. Simoes but rather the political motives of board members unrelated to soccer and this is completely unacceptable to the Voyageurs," could be changed to,

"Recent media reports have stated the reasons for this decision were not the financial demands of Mr. Simoes but rather the political motives of CSA board members which are entirely unrelated to soccer. Based on these reports, the Voyageurs have banded together to condemn the CSA's actions as thoroughly unacceptable."

I agree with Jeffrey in that I think the Provincial Associations need to be shown to have played a part in this debacle as well.

Good job El hombre on the touch up.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Grizzly, I too think this is excellent, and as I think that it is as important for us to say something as it is to get all the little details perfect, I would not want to quibble with too many details.

Final suggestion: a blurb like those at the end of Voyageur Cup press releases saying who we are, and contact information (I would agree if Grizzly and others who have dealt with the press before for us, such as Matthew or DJT, were contact people).

But all in all excellent Grizzly. I would agree to it being a Voyageurs press release.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to sign it, but if the majority agree to the contents we could pass that up and make it a statement from all of us. We have certainly done this before in the past, so this could be another case.

It should go to the press, to the board members of the CSA including provincial reps, to MPs, and even to the major clubs and leagues in the country.

We can also photocopy this thread and include it as an attachment to show the statement has widespread support.

Good thing I'm not busy at work today. See the edited post.

I would not use the term "bureaucrats" to refer to the CSA members as it is not technically correct.

I think they've all been removed. let me know if they haven't.

Later on an addition could be made in the same line of thinking: "...It is time to scrutinize how the various members of the board, including the respective presidents of the provincial associations, have acquired their positions, what their qualifications are and above all to hold them individually responsible for the decisions they are making."

Done. Please re-read and let me know if I'm using "provincial associations" in the proper context.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

"Despite soccer's popularity across the country, the low profile of the CSA has allowed it to be run by group of bureaucrats whose decisions do not recieve the scrutiny they so desperately require."

Changed though not exactly as you have it due to other changes requested.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I like the improved version except for this line:

Line removed.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Also how about changing this line to "Canadian soccer is thriving despite the poor treatment of the Men's National Team by the CSA" or something of that ilk?

Nice. Changed.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

The CSA`s operating budget consists of a significant amount of tax money, as well as a portion of the fees that every registered soccer player pays, and it is time to analyze how this money is spent. Transparency and availability of audited financial reports is necessary.

Added.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Recent media reports have stated the reasons for this decision were not the financial demands of Mr. Simoes but rather the political motives of CSA board members which are entirely unrelated to soccer. Based on these reports, the Voyageurs have banded together to condemn the CSA's actions as thoroughly unacceptable."

Nice. Changed.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

There is one small typo on El Hombre's re-tweaked version: Third to last paragraph. "not be held accountable for theeir failed policies."

Caught it. Thanks.

Guest speedmonk42

I think at the very least we should demand a total account of the process, and do it in court if we have to.

Transparency.

It is ok if someone opposes RS, but we have a 'right' to know why.

We need to do two things before we do anything else.

1. We need to learn what those 'rights' might be. It is a public institution and we need to learn about the legal limits of transparency and accountability.

2. We need to find out what the opposition actually was and why. We can bitch all we want but if we don't understand what the problem actually is we are never going to change anything.

Guest speedmonk42

Technically I think there is a difference between them doing something wrong, and doing something we don't like.

That is why I think it has to center around information.

Whether they are doing something right or wrong, we still have some level (though I am not sure what) of access to that information.

There are two results to consider.

1. We get the information and proceed from there.

2. We don't get the information because it was not properly recorded, now we have leverage because they did something wrong, and not just something we don't like.

We should perhaps talk about approaching the Ontario Ombudsman and the Federal information officer.

But what we don't want to do is do it wrong right off the bat.

We need a people inventory.

Lawyers here or who knows a lawyer that could help with this?

I know a lawyer who is vastly experienced in soccer and is familiar with past dealings of the CSA. But before I even dare to ask him if he is interested, are we considering this to be pro-bono or are we going to be paying for his services. Without meaning to be critical, lawyers are expensive.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I know a lawyer who is vastly experienced in soccer and is familiar with past dealings of the CSA. But before I even dare to ask him if he is interested, are we considering this to be pro-bono or are we going to be paying for his services. Without meaning to be critical, lawyers are expensive.

There is no way we can afford a lawyer.

We would be looking for a couple of things.

1. Understanding how things like the freedom of information act work and what it applies to. Maybe it does not apply here, I don't know.

2. How does oversight work for public organizations.

3. Write the appropriate kind of letter/understand the process for requesting all information around the a particular decision ie the coaching selection process.

4. What benefits would we have if the V's were incorporated and a member organization of the CSA. Does it change any of the above.

That would be a start.

I am not interested in doing this on the basis of a 'vendetta' or to get people fired ect... I want this done so we can better understand how things work and how we as a group can bring change.

There are some good suggestions regarding the text of the statement. I have limited time for the next day or so so I don't know how much more I can contribute but El Hombre is doing a good job with the revision. I agree the provincial associations should be mentioned.

The one comment I do not agree with is SF's comments of singling out Linford's actions for criticism. The way I see the situation is that Linford was the one who was trying to change how the CSA operated just like any of us would have done. I think he realized from the beginning that he would face opposition to his proposals from people whose interests are not concerned with us qualifying for the World Cup. While some of his actions may have not been fully professional, for example, the leaks or involving players in the procedure, I think he saw this as the only chance he had of actually being able to hire a top coach by pressuring the recalcitrant board. In my opinion the villain in this situation is the board of directors. I think Linford's choice was between trying an unorthodox method to get the board to make a decision beneficial to the Men's team or just giving up and letting them hire the cheaper more convenient candidate. I applaud him for at least trying and he is the member of the board that I hope remains in his position though his continued presidency would seem to be doubtful given the situation.

Nolando, I imagine that most of us here who argue on the forum would probably get along pretty well drinking a few beers and watching some footy together. Well maybe not johntv and LMS :D.

Guest Jeffery S.

Good thing I'm not busy at work today. See the edited post.

I think they've all been removed. let me know if they haven't.

Done. Please re-read and let me know if I'm using "provincial associations" in the proper context.

Changed though not exactly as you have it due to other changes requested.

Line removed.

Nice. Changed.

Added.

Nice. Changed.

Caught it. Thanks.

Hi. Since I was not sure you had edited that or in what way, I passed it by. Perhaps you could just add a more specific note, like Version 1.3, additions up to such and such a time. Otherwise I and others will simply not go back and read the revisions.

Or else just clearly advise us here if it changes again.

One more change I would add: change Halifax to St. John's. As we indeed have had posters here from Newfoundland, there is nothing incorrect in saying so, and that makes it more sea to sea and includes all provinces. Don't want anyone upset on the Rock.

Oh, and another formality: put "(CSA)" right after the name appears in full for the first time in the first line.

Archived