U-17 WCQ, Group B schedule

loyola

Here's the schedule for the U-17 WCQ Group B. Canada will be playing 4 games in 7 days starting saturday against Jamaica. That's a ridiculous schedule BTW. No roster announces yet:

Group B – Kingston, JAMAICA; National Stadium

28.04.2007: COSTA RICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – CANADA (18:00)

30.04.2007: CANADA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – USA (18:00)

02.05.2007: USA – CANADA (16:00)

JAMAICA – COSTA RICA (18:00)

04.05.2007: CANADA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – USA (18:00)

06.05.2007: USA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

JAMAICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (18:00)

Ridiculous, yes, but no different than anyone else.

If Canada does not qualify for Korea, I wonder how this will affect Hart's value with the men's program, and more interestingly, his value to the youth development program.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here's the schedule for the U-17 WCQ Group B. Canada will be playing 4 games in 7 days starting saturday against Jamaica. That's a ridiculous schedule BTW. No roster announces yet:

Group B – Kingston, JAMAICA; National Stadium

28.04.2007: COSTA RICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – CANADA (18:00)

30.04.2007: CANADA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – USA (18:00)

02.05.2007: USA – CANADA (16:00)

JAMAICA – COSTA RICA (18:00)

04.05.2007: CANADA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (16:00)

JAMAICA – USA (18:00)

06.05.2007: USA – COSTA RICA (16:00)

JAMAICA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (18:00)

quote:Originally posted by Thistle

Ridiculous, yes, but no different than anyone else.

But it actually is different to the other teams.

Every country playing their first match on Game Day 1 has at least one game day off before they complete their scheduled 4 matches, aside from Canada.

Costa Rica - games on game day 1,2,3,5

T & T - games on game day 1,2,4,5

Jamaica - games on game day 1,3,4,5

Canada - games on game day 1,2,3,4

That means Canada only ever gets one days off between games, whereas all of the other countries get a 3 day break at one point during their schedule.

Brutal planning really. I don't know if any of you have ever played that many games in such a short space of time, but I have and my body suffered for it. And my experiences were not in an international stage, where the level is obviously higher and thus more taxing.

Admittedly, the US has the same problem Canada faces in that respect.

It is a bit of a crappy deal but I would assume it was simply (a lack of) luck of the draw to see who played those 4 consecutive game days.

You have to remember that these are 16 and 17 year old boys, they're not likely to tire that easily playing 4 games in a 1 week span. Anyone ever play 2 games in one day at any youth tournaments? I have, heck i'm sure some of you have played 4 games in 2 days and though you're bushed by the end of the first day you still have the energy to play your 3rd game the next morning.

I think the problem is the lack of practice days in the middle of the tourny. Everyone else gets a break to work on adjustments, whereas Hart will only have 1 day of light work to prepare his troops for the next game(s).

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

You have to remember that these are 16 and 17 year old boys, they're not likely to tire that easily playing 4 games in a 1 week span. Anyone ever play 2 games in one day at any youth tournaments? I have, heck i'm sure some of you have played 4 games in 2 days and though you're bushed by the end of the first day you still have the energy to play your 3rd game the next morning.

I think the problem is the lack of practice days in the middle of the tourny. Everyone else gets a break to work on adjustments, whereas Hart will only have 1 day of light work to prepare his troops for the next game(s).

I agree that the lack of practice days is a big problem as well. I remember playing in a tournament in Ohio when I was 18 where we played 5 full games in 3 days bc we made it to the final. We played, we even played quite well, but i think had we have had a day off between to properly recover (plus like u said work on some tactics) we would have been in a much better position.

Either way, I seriously hope our boys kick ass and make it to Korea. The tourney is during my summer break out here, so I will definitely be making the trip to watch them wherever the games are.

Jamaica to stage CONCACAF U-17 Final Round Group B

27.4.07 - Jamaica will host the 2007 CONCACAF Under-17 Final Round Qualification Group B from 28 April – 6 May at the National Stadium in Kingston.COMPLETE SCHEDULE

Jamaica, which is staging its second CONCACAF U-17 Final Round event, will play Canada, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and USA in Group B, from which three teams will progress to the FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea Republic 2007 from 18 August – 9 September.

Haiti and the hosts, Honduras were the first two CONCACAF representatives to qualify to the FIFA U-17 World Cup after finishing first and second, respectively, in Group A Qualification held at the Tiburcio Carias Andino Stadium in Tegucigalpa from 4-8 April.

SCOUTING THE TEAMS…

CANADA: One of the three North Zone teams that earned a bye into CONCACAF Final Round … Canada was the first CONCACAF nation to host a FIFA Under-16 World Championship in 1987 … The maple leafs would later progress to three more FIFA Tournaments (1989, 1993, 1995) but they have not qualified to an U-17 World Cup in more than a decade … Stephen Hart is in charge of the maple leafs.

COSTA RICA: Claimed one of the two Central American berths to the CONCACAF Final Round after winning the Union Centroamericana de Fútbol (UNCAF) Tournament held in El Salvador … Despite a loss to Panama, Costa Rica defeated Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador during the UNCAF event … The ticos became the first Central American team to compete at the 1985 FIFA U-16 World Championship in China … Since then Costa Rica has qualified for five more FIFA U-17 World Cups, the most by any Central American nation … Manuel Gerardo Ureña is the coach for the ticos.

JAMAICA: With David Hunt at the helm, Jamaica are hosting their second CONCACAF U-17 Final Round Group … The reggae boyz competed in the CFU Youth Cup last year in Trinidad & Tobago finishing fourth … The reggae boyz have played in nine previous CONCACAF Qualification Tournaments and progressed to their only FIFA U-17 World Cup in New Zealand 1999 … Jamaica was the second Caribbean nation to qualify to a FIFA U-17 World Cup.

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO: Coached by Anton Corneal, Trinidad & Tobago are making their first appearance at the CONCACAF Final Round since 1999 … The soca warriors are competing in their 11th CONCACAF Qualification, which is the most by any Caribbean team, after hosting and finishing third at the CFU Youth Cup last year … Trinidad & Tobago defeated Aruba, Grenada and Guyana in the first round … After tying Barbados and defeating Surinam, the soca warriors lost to the eventual tournament champions Haiti to end the second round … Trinidad & Tobago captured the third-place honour with a victory over Jamaica.

USA: One of the three North Zone teams that earned a bye into CONCACAF Final Round … Is the only CONCACAF team (and globally) to have qualified to all the FIFA U-16/U-17 World Cups (1985-2005) and will be looking to make it 12 consecutive berths in 2007 … The stars & stripes won the inaugural CONCACAF tournament in Trinidad & Tobago 1983 and nine years later, they claimed its second Confederation crown in Cuba … The USA currently have a 16-game unbeaten streak in CONCACAF U-17 Qualification … The stars & stripes are coached by John Hackworth.

CONCACAF All-Time U-16/17 Final Round Tournaments (1983-88 U-16; 1991-Present U-17)

Year – Venue (s) – Champion – (FIFA WC Qualifiers)

1983 – Trinidad & Tobago – USA

1985 – Mexico – Mexico – (Costa Rica, Mexico, USA *)

1987 – Honduras – Mexico – (Canada^, Mexico, USA)

1988 – Cuba – Cuba – (Cuba, Canada, USA)

1991 – Trinidad & Tobago – Mexico – (Cuba, Mexico, USA)

1992 – Cuba – USA – (Canada, Mexico, USA)

1994 – El Salvador – Costa Rica – (Costa Rica, Canada, USA)

1996 – Trinidad & Tobago – Mexico – (Costa Rica, Mexico, USA)

1999 – El Salvador, Jamaica – (Jamaica, Mexico, USA)

2001 – Honduras, USA – (Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago^, USA)

2003 – Canada, Guatemala – (Costa Rica, Mexico, USA)

2005 – Costa Rica, Mexico – (Costa Rica, Mexico, USA)

2007 – Honduras, Jamaica – (Haiti, Honduras, TBD-3)

From 1983-1996, CONCACAF staged eight Under-16/17 Tournaments with a winner being crowned in each. Seven of the CONCACAF tournaments (1985-1996) doubled as qualifiers to the FIFA U-17 World Cups. In 1999, the U-17 CONCACAF event became a Final Round Qualification consisting of two groups, each in a different venue.

* USA progressed to FIFA U-17 World Cup China 1985 as the first CONCACAF U-16 Tournament Champion in 1983

^ FIFA U-17 World Cup Host

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I agree with first paragraph entirely. As for the second, yes I can see where there MAY not be an opportunity(ies) for adjustments, but I like the fact that they have a full day's rest between matches. I would HOPE that there has been some scouting of the other squads in preparation as well as having played the core of these teams in previous tournaments over the last couple years.

Plus, they have been preparing in Florida for the past week. Perhaps the CSA will have a roster posted by the time the office re-opens after the weekend.

First match Saturday. Come on you red'n'whites!

Men’s U-17 Team

Friday, April 27, 2007

Canada opens CONCACAF U-17 Qualifications

Canada faces Jamaica on Saturday 28 April in their first of four CONCACAF Final Round Group B qualifications. The top-three teams in this five-country group will advance to the FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea Republic 2007.

Canada plays hosts Jamaica in Kingston at the (Jamaican) National Stadium at 19.00.

"Everyone is looking forward to this competition," says Canadian head coach Stephen Hart. "The players have worked hard in the last month and understand what we need to do. Hopefully, we can remain healthy over our tough playing schedule, accept the challenge of competing against the best in CONCACAF, and play to the best of our ability."

Canada's other competitors in Group B are Costa Rica (30 April), the United States (2 May) and Trinidad & Tobago (4 May). Haiti and Honduras (at the expense of Mexico and El Salvador) have already qualified through Group A.

Canada's last participation in a FIFA U-17 World Cup was Ecuador 1995, 12 years ago. The 2007 team has performed well in recent camps and in a March international friendly with Mexico.

Canada

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef :#8200;Stephen Hart

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint#8200;:#8200;Ray Clark

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint :#8200;Andrea Dipietrantonio

Goalkeeper Coach / Entraîneur des gardiens :#8200;Djamel Laarabi

Trainer / Entraîneur :#8200;Jared Postance

Coordinator / Coordonnateur :#8200;Daniel Michelucci

Drew Beckie

Cedric Carrié

Philippe Davies

Gagandeep Dosanjh

Randy Edwini-Bonsu