New Coach will be..........

knowitall

The new coach will be either Rene Simoes or Dale Mitchell.

The CSA Board authorized a set amount of dollars for Simoes;

If Simoes does not agree to that figure then Dale Mitchell who was in contract negotiations with the CSA on Sunday, will take the job.

Grizzly is correct about Colin Linford putting leaks to the press about Simoes arrival in Toronto.

Members of the CSA Board are concerned that Simoes will jump ship if Canada does not qualify for the World Cup and that if some other country who does qualify then makes him an offer, he will jump ship and take it. .

Dale Mitchell is seen as a loyal fellow and that goes a long way.

Watch this space;

quote:Originally posted by knowitall

Members of the CSA Board are concerned that Simoes will jump ship if Canada does not qualify for the World Cup

If Canada does not qualify for the World Cup, then he will have failed in his job and he might as well jump ship at that point.

The irony of this post is that if in fact this information is accurate, someone with information is providing leaked information about Linford.

It also assumes that the CSA would want to keep a coach that does not acheive the stated goal of getting to the 2010 WC. That suggests to me that there are problems at our national association that go beyond hiring a coach.

The primary objective in hiring a coach should be singularly to get us to the 2010 WC. The focus should be on hiring the one who will get us there and not what he does if he is not successful.

Sorry, but I'll wait before jumping all over one post (a first post at that) which might or might not be true.

That being said, it sounds credible.

Knowitall might help his reputation if he can tell us who the mysterious "fourth" candidate is.

There was no fourth candidate, Simoes was the only one Colin Linford has wanted all the time and the 2 Canadian candidates were already known.

Had their not been so much dissension to Linfords choice by members of the CSA Board, Linford would have indeed made the announcement in March.

His leak to the media re; Simoes, was a way of attempting to suade the media and thus the Board into going along.

I encourage the members of this board and the media to keep questioning Linford on his mysterious 4th candidate.

I am assuming that you are saying that there were only three finalists.

As well, I find this leak equally as damaging to the CSA as anything that came before because it shows just how disfunctional the organization is in that it can't respect the confidentiality of a negotiation. And that is coming from someone completely neutral to any of the three named finalists and is not associated to anyone on the Board.

I am saying that in Colin Linfords mind there was only ever one finalist and that was Simoes. Linford could not dismiss any Canadian candidates out of hand, especially ones that were already managing within the Canadian soccer program.

This process will turn out to be more damaging to Linford than to the C.S.A. when all of the facts become known.

So what is the intent then? Are you trying the derail the hiring of Simoes? Because clearly the Board produced a minute on the subject that was voted on and it seems clear that their was a concern about confidiality around the negotiation. This is coming across as disfunction and an attempt to block the possible hiring of Simoes even after the Board agreed on a process. After all, that is what a vote is.

If your concerns were about the actions of Linford, they could have been dealt with by the Board. After this process was complete.

The new coach will be either Rene Simoes or Dale Mitchell.

The CSA Board authorized a set amount of dollars for Simoes;

If Simoes does not agree to that figure then Dale Mitchell who was in contract negotiations with the CSA on Sunday, will take the job.

Grizzly is correct about Colin Linford putting leaks to the press about Simoes arrival in Toronto.

Members of the CSA Board are concerned that Simoes will jump ship if Canada does not qualify for the World Cup and that if some other country who does qualify then makes him an offer, he will jump ship and take it. .

Dale Mitchell is seen as a loyal fellow and that goes a long way.

Watch this space;

But Simoes must be worried also that if he doesn't get Canada to the World Cup he'll get the Holger treatment and sacked.

I encourage the members of this board and the media to keep questioning Linford on his mysterious 4th candidate.

I encourage members of this board to contact members of their provincial association to push for the hiring of Rene Simoes to go through. If we don't end up hiring Simoes, because of the incompetence of the rest of the CSA board, I will be deeply disappointed.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I encourage members of this board to contact members of their provincial association to push for the hiring of Rene Simoes to go through. If we don't end up hiring Simoes, because of the incompetence of the rest of the CSA board, I will be deeply disappointed.

I agree. Simoes MUST be the coach for the canadian mens team. This guy has at least some track record. And what is even better is he knows CONCACAF teams, namely the Central American & Caribbean teams inside out. If Simoes is not the coach, then I do not know what.

Concerns about Simoes jumping ship are unfounded. Anyone who did a little research would know that he went to the Jamaican FA offering to step aside after the failed 2000 Gold Cup. He told them before he made the decision that he had been offered the coaching position at Flamengo. From what I understand, he left with their blessing. In the case of the T&T and Honduras jobs, apparently there were promises made by the national associations for financial support of the program that were broken (sound familiar?). Also anyone who knows anything about Brazilian league soccer knows that every coaching position is short-term. Even World renoun coaches like Scolari never stayed more than a couple of years with any one Brazilian team.

Finally, I have received comments from two individuals in Brazil who both are in the business that say he is an excellent coach. More importantly, that he is honest and a genuine person. I don't know the man nor have I met the man but the people who told me this are people I trust.

I wish I could say that i was surprised. It has been clear for some time that this sort of nonsense was going on. I think that the Original Poster I somewhat mistaken to think that this will reflect poorly on Mr. Linford outside of the specific Board cabal's that oppose the hiring of Simoes, even if everything suggested is true.

One concern among the 'grassroots' community is that in order for the CSA to be able to afford Rene, they'll have to give him the Technical Director position as well.

In the long term, that isn't good for soccer in this country, as the Men's Head Coach and TD should normally have very different mandates (win now vs win later)...

A good point Lenarduzzi made at the Canada Club Soccer Symposium was that even if Rene (or whomever they choose) is qualified for both roles and has good ideas to implement as a Technical Director, confidence in him and his vision would be undermined if he was achieving poor results with the senior team.

The TD should always be 'undefeated' and his authority and support should not be tied to (immediate) results on the field.

quote:Originally posted by SF

Simoes or not, this whole manner of getting things done speaks volumes about how the CSA operates.

It is simply embarassing and unprofessional.

I agree wholeheartedly. It has become a farce. If Simoes is the person the CSA has been pursuing, one would imagine that, at some point, he would tell the CSA to screw themselves.

If Mitchell were to get the job and no disrespect intended, I don't think he will get us qualified for the next W.C. Then we will be in the same boat again looking for another coach. The difference will be that after the current fiasco nobody will then take the CSA serious, if at all anybody takes them seriously even now.

Why did the Board members agreed to fired Pipe if it was to come to so much dissension at this crucial point??? I feel like we are at the same point that we were when Pipe was there and that only Linford and a few others are trying to push the program in the right direction.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Why did the Board members agreed to fired Pipe if it was to come to so much dissension at this crucial point??? I feel like we are at the same point that we were when Pipe was there and that only Linford and a few others are trying to push the program in the right direction.

Good point. I don't recall the reasons for firing Pipe were ever made public. It seems the Board is quick to agree on firings but recalcitrant on hirings.

Oddly enough, I swear I saw Mitchell driving by as I walked to work today. I took a second look--he was stopped at a light as I was crossing--and he sort of looked away, as if he could tell I recognized him. (Though I can't see why my recognizing him would make him look away. Maybe he could tell I was one of them stinking Voyageurs, or something. Well, Dale, if you are reading this, I think you'll make an excellent head coach for Canada. I feel Simoes has more to offer, but I think you'd do an excellent job. With that said, next time you see me walking to work, would you please offer me a ride? It was raining today and I hate getting wet.)

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

I agree wholeheartedly. It has become a farce. If Simoes is the person the CSA has been pursuing, one would imagine that, at some point, he would tell the CSA to screw themselves.

Depends what other job options he has.

I respect Dale Mitchell alot for what he has done with the u20's. However at this point I believe we need to look outside the country. I would also hope for Simoes to be appointed.

If he fails to steer us to the World Cup, then I am all in favour of dumping him anyway. That would go for any coach. Thats why Im not worried about all this "ship jumping" as others have said. This concern of the board is troubling. Why cant the CSA realize that most serious football countries are on a 4 year world cup cycle? If one coach doesnt work, another serious one must be in place to build a new team in time for qualification and so on.

Thats why the real concern is the CSA board in all this, Colin Linford included.

If Linford got us a good coach and then was dumped as anyway, I would'nt be all that heart broken. It would be worth it if we can find even better leadership.

Archived