Nationalities of our Teams

RJB

There's been a lot of criticism, particularly of the Whitecaps, for being too American, so I thought I'd add up the nationalities on Canada's pro clubs so we could see the figures for ourselves. All Nationalities are from the respective teams websites, and only players listed on the roster pages of the website are included.

WHITECAPS</u>

Canada</u>: 10

Srdjan Djekanovic

Adrian Cann

Diaz Kambere

Stefan Leslie

Steve Kindel

Alfredo Valente

Dave Morris

Jeff Clarke

MartinNash

Jason Jordan

USA</u>: 8

Jared Montz

Lyle Martin

Steve Klein

David Testo

Jay Alberts

Tony Donatelli

Jason McLaughlin

Joey Gjertsen

England</u>: 1

Tony Caig

Trinidad & Tobago</u>: 1

Joel Bailey

Cuba</u>: 1

Eduardo Sebrango

IMPACT</u>

Canada</u>: 14

Hicham Aaboubou

Andres Arango

Mauro Biello

Massimo Di Ioia

Jason DiTullio

David Fronimadis

Simon Gatti

Charles Gbeke

Gabriel Gervais

Patrick Leduc

Sita-Taty Matondo

Matthew Palleschi

Nevio Pizzolito

Antonio Ribeiro

USA</u>: 4

Matt Jordan

Seth Tremblay

Shaun Tsakiris

Andrew Weber

Jamaica</u>: 1

Fabian Dawkins

Argentina</u>: 3

Leonardo Di Lorenzo

Martin Fabro

Mauricio Vincello

Brazil</u>: 2

Frederico Moojen

Ze Roberto

TORONTO FC</u>

Canada</u>: 14

Rich Asante

Adam Braz

Jim Brennan

Miguel Canizalez

Tomer Chencinski

AJ Gray

David Guzman

Tyler Hemming

Andrew Lombardo

Steven Lumley

Joey Melo

Chris Pozniak

Marco Reda

Greg Sutton

USA</u>: 4

Edson Buddle

Alecko Eskandarian

Marvel Wynne

Maurice Edu

New Zealand</u>: 1

Andrew Boyens

England</u>: 2

Daniel Dichio

Andy Welsh

Togo</u>: 1

Abbe Ibrahim

Brazil</u>: 1

Paulo Nagamura

Ireland</u>: 1

Ronnie O'Brien

Wales</u>: 1

Carl Robinson

So, as far as percentages of Canadians listed on the senior roster,

Whitecaps: 10 Canadians of 21 Players

- 47%

Impact: 14 Canadians of 24 Players

- 58%

TFC: 14 Canadians of 25 Players

- 56%

Guest Jeffery S.

Here's the breakdown at Barça, including third keeper who is Spanish.

Spain 8

Brazil 5

Argentina 2

France 2

Portugal 1

Mexico 1

Holland 1

Cameroon 1

Iceland 1

Italy 1

That is only 37% Spanish, but in contrast nine players came through the youth system, from their teen years. I would imagine that the big clubs in Europe are close to this, though in England you might find the numbers only get up there if you take British players as a block.

Thanks for that info RJB. I had been curious about this for some time but didnt have the time to look it up. Though the number does look favourable for Toronto FC, it should be noted that its the Cnd players on the reserve/youth teams thats skews it in their favour.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Thanks for that info RJB. I had been curious about this for some time but didnt have the time to look it up. Though the number does look favourable for Toronto FC, it should be noted that its the Cnd players on the reserve/youth teams thats skews it in their favour.

The reserve/youth team players do skew the results but no more for TFC than for the other teams. A large percentage of the Canadians on the Caps and Impact are also not seeing much first team action. If one looks at those Canadians actually getting first team game time the percentages for all three teams are much lower.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The reserve/youth team players do skew the results but no more for TFC than for the other teams. A large percentage of the Canadians on the Caps and Impact are also not seeing much first team action. If one looks at those Canadians actually getting first team game time the percentages for all three teams are much lower.

Also, it should be mentioned there are a number of other U20 Canadians who are playing for the TFC reserves who are not officially on the U20 roster (and not listed here), including Christian Nunez & Gabe Gala. As Massive Attack mentioned on another thread in response to a factually incorrect statement from B&W Army, the TFC reserves are a de facto Canadian U20 team. In fact I am wondering what is going to happen on the weekend on the 12th to the TFC reserve team when most of them will be playing Argentina the night before.

To be fair to the USL teams though, we'll probably have to see how much some of their "reserve"/youth players play before we can conclude that the actual playing percentages are the same. I know there have been pre-season friendlies for each team, but they aren't always indicative of what will happen when the season starts - case in point Richard Asante for TFC who started a lot of pre-season games but hasn't seen the field yet for the senior team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Here's the breakdown at Barça, including third keeper who is Spanish.

Spain 8

Brazil 5

Argentina 2

France 2

Portugal 1

Mexico 1

Holland 1

Cameroon 1

Iceland 1

Italy 1

That is only 37% Spanish, but in contrast nine players came through the youth system, from their teen years. I would imagine that the big clubs in Europe are close to this, though in England you might find the numbers only get up there if you take British players as a block.

Did Deco count as Brazilan or Portuguese?

On the USL side, we have Sebrango listed as Cuban. Though he has canadian citizenship and will not be returning to Cuba. We have Ze Roberto as Brazilian yet, I think that I read somewhere that he considerers himself American. What about Vincello, How argentinian is he?

Thanks for that list - I don't remember seeing anything like that before. Wouldn't it be absolutely dreamlike to have an American (or other) club team field something like 40% Canadians as the Whitecaps have done with Americans. Imagine all the spaces available to developing Canadian players. Ahhh...a guy can dream

Now here's another question - which team in the world outside of Canada has the highest percentage of Canadians in their make-up? Charleston, I wonder?

Remember, I just took the names off the websites, so if I missed a few players, keep that in mind. I made the change, subtracting Conor Casey, and adding Maurice Edu - I just must have missed him.

Once we see the starting rosters for the 'Caps and Impact, we'll be able to have a better idea of the role the Canadians play.

The correct and current breakdown for the Whitecaps is:

CANADA 13

Tyler Baldock

Adrian Cann

Jeff Clarke

Serge Djekanovic

Jason Jordan

Steve Kindel

Stefan Leslie

Nigel Marples

Dave Morris

Martin Nash

Eduardo Sebrango

Graham Smith

Alfredo Valente

USA 9

Jay Alberts

Tony Donatelli

Joey Gjertsen

Marty Johnston

Steve Klein

Jason McLaughlin

Lyle Martin

Jared Montz

David Testo

CAMEROON 1

Narcisse Tchoumi

ENGLAND 1

Tony Caig

T&T 1

Joel Bailey

Here is how it breaks down in terms of minutes of playing time in the games so far:

Whitecaps

CANADA: 544'

USA: 203'

OTHER: 243'

Which is 55% Canadian.

Impact

CANADA: 484'

USA: 111'

OTHER: 395'

Which is 49% Canadian.

FC

CANADA: 687'

USA: 595'

OTHER: 698'

Which is 35% Canadian.

Early days yet, but interesting nonetheless.

I don't know if Sebrango has or is applying for Canadian citizenship but he has been capped by Cuba so there is no way from a soccer perspective that he can be counted as Canadian. Remove his 82 minutes and Vancouver falls below the Impact to 47% assuming your other calculations are correct.

Sebrango IS a Canadian citizen. And considering he is 34 years old now I think it rather silly to be arguing about which national team he can play for. Or perhaps you expect Mauro Biello will be getting called-up for World Cup qualifying soon.

If you want to restrict the focus to Canadians who might realistically have a chance to play for Canada, say the 28 and under set plus perhaps the under-32s who have played for Canada in the last few years, then that is another question, and we need to draw up new lists and run the numbers again.

But if our focus is on potential Canadian National Team players, then shouldn't we also consider the possibility of some young import player falling in love with their adopted city or one of its residents, and eventually becoming a Canadian citizen and playing for Canada. That's happened twice with the Whitecaps: Carl Valentine from England and Martina Franko from the US.

I don't think foreign players brought in to clubs who later apply for Canadian citizenship should be counted as Canadians (in soccer terms) but if they are going to be counted they should at least be eligible to play for us. I think a reasonable definition in soccer terms for a Canadian player is someone who has Canadian citizenship and is eligible to play for Canada. Sebrango is not eligible to play for Canada. I certainly hope Biello will not get called up for this WCQ like he was to the last one but he is at least a Canadian who is eligible to play for Canada.

Because the numbers were not quite what some expected the criteria must be changed!

Who cares about nationality, this is the professional sports entertainment business folks. What's the proportion of British players in the EPL and how many of them would be selectable to play for their respective national teams?

This discussion is becoming silly and nugatory.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I don't know if Sebrango has or is applying for Canadian citizenship but he has been capped by Cuba so there is no way from a soccer perspective that he can be counted as Canadian. Remove his 82 minutes and Vancouver falls below the Impact to 47% assuming your other calculations are correct.

Sebrango is a Canadian citizen and is married to a staffer at the CSA. The national team had made prior attempts through FIFA to cap him but were unsuccessfull since Canada would have needed some cooperation from Cuba to do so. Cuba refused to cooperate.

Too bad actually, because I really liked his play and we definitely could have used him in the past. He was a very productive fwd with good pace and skills on the ball. This is something we have lacked in a little from the FWD position.

Sebrango didn't play for Canada not because of Cuban objections. He would've certainly won approval from FIFA for the nationality change.

It failed because Sebrango's original attempt to get citizenship failed when he got the fast track. That loss meant having to wait in line to get his case heard again.

Archived