MoJo: A good manager, BUT NOT a good coach

Canadiense

It has been 2 games that I have seen from TFC, given them my full support and taking embarrassment from friends and family that Canadian soccer mounts to nothing.

The events occurring with the CSA and TFC's dismal display against New England, makes me to think that they are right.

BUT, I do understand that for TFC this is their 1st season, and in fact they have done a great job in marketing the sport not just in Toronto but in Canada in general. In that case I can say that Mo has managed his financial resources quite well so far.

He's coaching skills is something else though.

The team looked with no motivation, NOT HEART!!!, this weekend. The tactics are all wrong, and the wrong players are on the field. He is not a good coach. I realized when I was told that he was actually fired by New York Red Bulls, before he was chosen as TFC's coach.

I am going to give him 1 more game, to change his tactics and show a DECENT display. If not I will start to send my suggestions to TFC that they need a better man to guide the resources on the pitch.

Commentators such as Paul James, clearly said that the tactics need to change. Mo might be low right now on personnel since he has some injuries, but he HAS TO SHOW more leadership to the rest of the squad, since they played with NO heart last weekend.

It is frustrating for the fans and people who has support for a team that plays with little motivation, no tactics and a coach that simply is not a good coach.

I know its early but I sense a disaster here too.. Mo has made some decent signings but also some that must have been taken purely on scouting reports. Andy Welsh is a huge mistake he has always been a "soft" winger ever since he was with Stockport in the 2nd division, he has no heart for the battle. Braz must be played at right back and Mo must switch to a 4-4-2 system. A left back must be found and Brennan has to be moved up to his best position of left midfield, he has a great left foot and also has attacking instincts. If tactical changes are not made quickly things could snowball and confidence levels will drop like a stone.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Canadiense

It has been 2 games that I have seen from TFC, given them my full support and taking embarrassment from friends and family that Canadian soccer mounts to nothing.

I think it is clear who should be embarrassed here.

Anyone who would discount an expansion franchise after two games and worse yet connect to the broader assertion that Canadian soccer amounts to nothing has the rational thought capacity of a reactionary five year old.

expansion or not and injuries or not, there is no excuse to play so poorly. its not about losing its about looking like you have no business being on the field. saddens me.

i have had daydreams about Mo being fired, and replaced be Stephen Hart who drops the TFC dead British/American weight and brings in the likes of Grande, Gervais at a low cost, and maybe Hainault, Bernier, Occean at a higher cost. DeRosario would be nice too. But no, instead we have a team of rejects and thus we will lose.

Hopefully the backline will improve once Pozzy Osbourne comes back.

The nationalist approach is not going to make the TFC or any professional sports team any better. Nor it it going to help the national programs if you promote mediocrity by givening special consideration (beyond what is in the rules) to Canucks. I too would like to see more Canadians on the team but not for the mere sake of adding Canadians. I'd like to see more Canadians earn their spots. So far, in two games, as a whole, the canadian contingent has not performed any better than the other nationalities on the squad.

Gotta say I'm with Bingham on this one. It's obvious Moe is trying to play a deceptive speed game, by having his two right and left centre halfs move wide and having the two centre mids slot in, to provide five at the back. But it's just not working; to whit

* For all the knocks on Welsh so far, it's a problem of him being a one-dimensional offensive player. If he gets some space to work and some good service, he might well terrorize mls defenders. But he's absolutely crap at defending -- he was the reason for the first Chivas goal, as he came back too far and ruined an otherwise perfect offside trap.

* We have enough wide players at the back to play four back there, but we don't have enough wingers to play as such in the mid some of the time; common sense suggests we play a 4-3-3 or a 4-121-2 or a 4-22. If welsh were playing as an attacking winger upfield in an offensive 4-3-3- for example, he might work. But he's going to look like crap playing this system. So will Canizales and Mulrooney, who don't have the speed to trackback as wingbacks.

* The system we're playing, a 3-5-2, relies absolutely on short midfield buildup...in a league where constant man-on-man pressure routinely means playing to your opponents mistakes instead; additionally, with two centre mids having to drop back as warranted to defend, we're left without the two key setup guys to help the wingers break. On top of that, most of our CMs aren't dedicated defensive holders.

* Asking this many players who are accustomed to four-at-the-back football to learn a new way -- and if you're going to keep shape, which is essential at this level it IS a new way -- while they're also learning new teammates, a new game and a new city is ridiculous.

The problem here isn't he players, although we seem to be missing a keano/Dennis Wise type to kick some ass; Brennan's too much the nice guy one of the boys' type. It's the woefully inadequate tactics, which attempt to play to the ball handling strength of the English players but underestimate the speed of the American game.

I think as a player's guy, Mo would probably make a great technical ability coach; but as a manager, so far he's not got my vote.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The nationalist approach is not going to make the TFC or any professional sports team any better. Nor it it going to help the national programs if you promote mediocrity by givening special consideration (beyond what is in the rules) to Canucks. I too would like to see more Canadians on the team but not for the mere sake of adding Canadians. I'd like to see more Canadians earn their spots. So far, in two games, as a whole, the canadian contingent has not performed any better than the other nationalities on the squad.

I'd agree to a certain extent. Where I disagree is that certain non-Canadians on TFC have not yet shown themselves to be better than Canadian options that are already available. It's only in a couple of cases - I am thinking primarily of Welsh (in both games) and Boyens (mainly in the last game - would have gone with Braz by half time after it was apparent Boyens was out of his depth in that game). In the case of Welsh, once Pozniak is healthy I would sit him, putting Pozniak in the back three with Reda & Braz and move Brennan up to the left flank. I would also sit Canizalez in favour of O'Brien once he's back, but make him the first sub for either flank if needed.

I wonder what the top management of TFC are thinking reading this stuff.

Would they be paying attention,learn something and react accordingly or just don't bother.I certainly is a new field for everybody.Another part of the learning process and all these advisers free of charge,good deal he.

I wonder what the top management of TFC are thinking reading this stuff.

Would they be paying attention,learn something and react accordingly or just don't bother.I certainly is a new field for everybody.Another part of the learning process and all these advisers free of charge,good deal he.

yes, pushing Brennan into the midfield is a great idea. I'd also yank Buddle--useless so far, and his effor is pathetic--and start Esky with O'Connor up front. We still need a midfield general. (Yes, I said "we" even though I live on the west coast. TFC is my team in the MLS; the Whitecaps are my REAL team, and as soon as they join MLS I'll start slagging TFC with full force.)

Boyens was weak, Welsh predictable etc.

Archived