JUNE 2. VENEZUELA- CANADA ?

jagum

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Canada announces international friendly with Venezuela

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s National Men’s team will play Venezuela in an international friendly match on 1 June, less than one week before the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup. The match, to be played at the Estadio José Pachencho Romero in Maracaibo, Venezuela, will be the first international friendly between the two countries.

Canada will use the match as a tune-up for the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States. Canada plays Costa Rica on 6 June, Guadeloupe on 9 June, and Haiti on 11 June. All three games will be played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, FL. From the tournament's 16-year history (eight finals), Canada were Gold Cup champions in 2000.

Venezuela is the host of this year’s Copa América 2007, which runs 26 June to 15 July. Maracaibo is one of the nine host cities for the tournament. In the May FIFA World Rankings, Venezuela was the eighth-ranked country in CONMEBOL (70th overall). Canada, meanwhile, was the 11th-ranked country in CONCACAF (94th overall).

Glad to finally see a confirmation from the CSA, I was worried. It will be a good opponent for us, exactly the kind of opponents we should play before WCQ in central america.

This should have been announced a long, long time ago. I know it may be silly to think that Canadian fans may want to travel to Venezuela, but the CSA should not make that assumption. Anybody who would have like to go can't now, because there is not enough time.

Is it silly of me to be wondering exactly what the roster for this friendly will be.

While I realise it is an ideal way for us to gear up for the Gold Cup, is it too much to wonder if we could call a few players who will not be participating in the Gold Cup bc this match is on an official FIFA date?

Some of our scandinavian boys, and even maybe someone like Radz (tho obviously very unlikely), could suit up for us for a one off game, no?

I have to admit I am taking this game as more than just a prep match bc i have a few Venezuelan buddies who I know will not let me forget this game if we do not put in good performance.

Archived