What's the purpose of an U-21 league?

Eric

Going through some soccer websites I came across the OSL League (Ontario Soccer League if you're not from ontario), I see they run an U-21 mens league, so I ask my self.....shouldn't they be playing in an open age competitive mens league? how are they going to advance to the next level if they continue to play boys for ever!! I might be wrong but in most countries at that age players are exposed to the highest level of competition in the country.

http://www.ontariosl.com/ViewArticle.aspx?NewsID=73

The Pacific Coast Soccer League recently introduced U-21 men's and women's divisions at the request of member clubs, responding to market demand as it were. Motivation is player development. Making the cut-off at age 21 is fairly arbitrary but one has to draw the line somewhere. There was some debate within the PCSL about whether to make this an unrestricted Reserve or an Under 21 division and the clubs came down in favour of U-21. Up to three overage players may be dressed for any one game including players from the club's senior team but generally the players are 17 or 18 years old, some younger, some older. There are many young players who are ready for more than the youth system can offer but need a transition to the senior game. Of course there are still the outstanding youths who can hold their own at the senior level right away and they generally make it onto senior teams anyway. I will be interested in reading other views on this subject.

One could also ask, why does FIFA hold a U-20 World Cup?

If the players are any good they should be on the senior national team, right? ;)

Richard in regards to your question why does FIFA hold a U-20 World Cup? I think the answer is "because that is the best international showcase for soccer players" we all know that most of the superstars in the world today did play The U-20 World Cup, it's just business!! but here in Canada where soccer players transfers for big bucks are non-existant, then becomes a waist of valuable soccer life time for these players. They need to grow fast and they need to learn from the more experience players. One more thing about U-20 WC players, 98% of them already play for first division teams in their respective countries.......which means they are professional players already ;)

The PCSL could just as easily have called it a Reserve, Graduate or Second Division. It likely would have attracted much the same players. As for my comment about the U-20 World Cup, you did realise it was flippant right? But nevertheless, having a U-20 national team gives several of the up-and-coming players for whom there is not yet space on the senior national team an opportunity to gain high level international experience. Rather like an apprenticeship. I think that alone is justification for U-21 leagues. Ask any of the clubs/coaches who clamoured for a U-21 division in the PCSL whether they think it is worthwhile and see what answers you get.

The main reason for the U-21 league in Ontario is to accomodate all the kids who play in the US on scholarships. THe majority of U-21 teams are full have numerous kids on scholarships who leave for school in August. They play a quick season here in the summer and return to the US. Many of the serious men's leagues go into september and october!

• 2 weeks later...

You can't compare Brazil with Canada!!! in Brazil the amount of talanted players requires an additional solution like this U-20 league but in Canada where the number of young talanted players is scarse (pro-level scarse ofcourse) although some people will probably disagree with me, I'm convince that we need to make these young players mature faster because we need a higher number of professional minded players ASAP.

Archived