Forrest Eyeing Toronto FC?

CanadasBest

Forrest eyeing Toronto FC?

April 10, 2007

Sportsnet.ca

Sportsnet.ca -- A familiar face raised a few Canadian soccer eyebrows by trotting out on to the Toronto FC practice field.

Soccercentral analyst Craig Forrest laced up the boots on Tuesday to take part in some drills, kick-starting the rumours of a possible comeback. Forrest retired from competitive soccer in 2002.

Tune in to Sportsnet Connected Tuesday evening for full video and comments from Forrest regarding the workout, and the possibility of a comeback.

I watched sportsworld, and they interviewed Craig...

Craig said its an experiment, he would love to play for toronto fc but he still needs to know where his fitness and skill levels are before he can comit to anything. It doesnt seem like a joke at all.. @ 39 years old a backup role for TFC would be awesome for craig... heck if he can get his fitness back, hed be one of the best keepers in theleague.. but that is a LOBNG shot

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Did anyone see Connected last night? Is this some kind of publicity stunt or joke or what?

I saw sportsworld but I didn't see connected. I tried to watch the late showing last night but they didn't show anything on Forrest in the pacific region. What did they do?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by nolando

was trying to find a video link for this but found this instead (the posting of which may actually be enough to have me banned from the voyageurs site all together)...it is is damn funny in parts, though

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aL4YvxM_03Q

What a goof. I could see taking the team apart for the loss, but not the goalie.

Re: Commenting on Forrest's frame as "Gumby-like"? I sure hope Davidson doesn't mean the Eddie Murphy version: "I'm Gumby, dammit!"

Personally, I would love to see Forrest provide support to Toronto FC in any way he can, whether it be in a back-up position to Sutton, GK coach... or build toward a coaching career alongside Mo. He's the type of ex-nat player who should be considering a coaching career. A first-class ambassador of this country, soccer or otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I would take Forrest over Pat Onstad, anyday. And Pat's still

Houston's keeper ...

It's a long shot, but a fit Craig Forrest would be a great addition

as backup for TFC. (Despite the YouTube "highlight" reel.)

Let's be fair to Pat Onstad, even at 39 he's still an excellent keeper for the MLS level. I saw some highlights of a recent Houston game and he's very good. I think he's better than Sutton at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Let's be fair to Pat Onstad, even at 39 he's still an excellent keeper for the MLS level. I saw some highlights of a recent Houston game and he's very good. I think he's better than Sutton at the moment.

Agreed, somewhat.

Don't get me wrong; I don't dislike Pat Onstad, I just prefer

a fit Forrest, based on their international performances and

level of attained league play. Onstad is indeed capable, even at

39. Imagine having a Craig Forrest, circa 2000 Gold Cup, as your

back-up ... Onstad (like Sutton) will provide steady performance,

while Forrest can bring something else.

Bah.

It's been what? Four years since our Mr. Forrest has played anything resembling competative football. At his age, barring disaster within TFC's ranks it's done and over. He's having a bit of fun and TFC is playing along. He's just getting caught up in the excitement of it all and why not?

But this whole exercise highlights, unintentionaly I'm sure, just how "shallow" TFC's roster is. This summer's Gold Cup tourny may put a disasterous strain on the the club.

Who's going to replace any of the Canadian's who may be called up? Because like it or not Mo will still have to field X Canadians each and every match. So who?

And it's not like they've got a lot of players who're 1st team quality anyway. Sutton and JB (both of whom migh be only NT bench quality anyway). And maybe Reda. But that's the backbone of their Canadian content.

Archived