Ticket Exchange Program

KAS

I propose that a ticket exchange program for TFC tickets be established here. I know there are plans to create one on U-Sector, and perhaps RPB, but I have not seen one yet. Furthermore, this is the website where I frequent, and I am sure there are others from the GTA area (and visiting from elsewhere) who only post here and could therefore open up the market more for unused tickets.

I know that most here have been following TFC from its' earliest embrionic stages, but that is clearly not the case with many casual soccer fans. In addition to having family members in the North Bay and Ottawa areas who have kids that play and may like to see a game, I now have old friends asking me about tickets. One buddy from my Queens' Grad school days who is now completing his PhD just e-mailed me a couple of days ago asking about going to a game. Naturally, I replied that it would have been easier had he asked me before the best games had sold out and there was just scraps for the lesser games. As the saying goes, you can tell a PhD, but you can't tell him much!

I have had other requests for tickets which I could have easily handled had they told me last fall when I was looking at season tickets and everything was still available, but not now. I am sure there are others here who now find themselves in similar circumstances and would be looking for good tickets that season tickets holders can't use. If not, then I apologise for creating a self-serving thread, but I would be curious to find out if there are others on this board who are not members of the U-Sector/RPB who either are season ticket holders, or who now unexpectantly find themselves in need for a few tickets.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by KAS

I propose that a ticket exchange program for TFC tickets be established here. I know there are plans to create one on U-Sector, and perhaps RPB, but I have not seen one yet. Furthermore, this is the website where I frequent, and I am sure there are others from the GTA area (and visiting from elsewhere) who only post here and could therefore open up the market more for unused tickets.

I know that most here have been following TFC from its' earliest embrionic stages, but that is clearly not the case with many casual soccer fans. In addition to having family members in the North Bay and Ottawa areas who have kids that play and may like to see a game, I now have old friends asking me about tickets. One buddy from my Queens' Grad school days who is now completing his PhD just e-mailed me a couple of days ago asking about going to a game. Naturally, I replied that it would have been easier had he asked me before the best games had sold out and there was just scraps for the lesser games. As the saying goes, you can tell a PhD, but you can't tell him much!

I have had other requests for tickets which I could have easily handled had they told me last fall when I was looking at season tickets and everything was still available, but not now. I am sure there are others here who now find themselves in similar circumstances and would be looking for good tickets that season tickets holders can't use. If not, then I apologise for creating a self-serving thread, but I would be curious to find out if there are others on this board who are not members of the U-Sector/RPB who either are season ticket holders, or who now unexpectantly find themselves in need for a few tickets.

I suggest you take a look at the independent Liverpool supporters site R&W Kop, as their ticket exchange is very serious and has the right kind of controls to avoid abuse and keep everyone on the same side:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/ticketexchange.php

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I suggest you take a look at the independent Liverpool supporters site R&W Kop, as their ticket exchange is very serious and has the right kind of controls to avoid abuse and keep everyone on the same side:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/ticketexchange.php

That system has been mentioned before, and I would agree that it should be considered. I'm sure that regardless of what system is used, and whether it be more or less formal in nature, a few simple rules (ex max price: face value - no scalping) would keep things in order. Whether a "transportation/ticket exchange fee" could be charged (since this might be at a pub, perhaps 1 Pint?) would be an interesting debate.

BUMP!

Ok guys, seriously, is there any interest among the people on this forum for a ticket exchange forum? This thread has already had over two hundred looks, but only two others have added comments to the idea. Why the 99% silence? Whether in favour or not, you should add your view. I know that most of you are rarely shy about voicing an opinion!

I know that fans supporters groups like U-Sector are planning to do their own ticket exchange program, but they are not up yet and not everyone here is a member of any of those groups. Generally speaking, expanding to a wider market would make it easier for both those who are looking to buy tickets, and those who are looking to sell. So, the questions that remain are:

Is there anybody here who is interesting in purchasing TFC tickets from season ticket holders who can't use them?

Are there any TFC season ticket holders here who have tickets that they can't use and would like to sell?

Personaly, I think that a ticket exchange program is a good if not excellent idea but for TFC this web-site may be the wrong vessel for it.

If TFC has an exchange program in place they're rightly filling a need which every sports fan knows already exists. Another feather in their cap. Hopefully the TFC supporter sites will get something going on this as well in the near future as it can't be anything but helpfull.

Off the record? Shhhhhh!! Ticket exchange programs have already been/are being discussed by the Mods and Administrators. But our focus is more directed at the U20s, not TFC. As I understand it, nothings been finalised, but we're leaning towards allowing for it. Mirroring some similiar protocals and curtosys as have already mentions.

The principle idea being to use such a program as a means for accomodating contact between footballs fans who have/need tickets to specific matches. Post a personal. Allow for contact info and after that you're on your own to sort it all out. But again, conduct your business according to the previously mentioned curtosys. Spammers and scalpers can stay home.

Still, this is all off the record and a work in progress so keep it to yourself...

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Off the record? Shhhhhh!! Ticket exchange programs have already been/are being discussed by the Mods and Administrators. But our focus is more directed at the U20s, not TFC. As I understand it, nothings been finalised, but we're leaning towards allowing for it. Mirroring some similiar protocals and curtosys as have already mentions.

Still, this is all off the record and a work in progress so keep it to yourself...

Cheeta,

thanks for all that information that you did not OFFICIALLY post. ;)

Just to update this thread, the U-Sector have now launched a ticket exchange program on their website, although it is still quite small, with what appears to be more would be buyers than sellers, and they are only doing the first few home games to start. It looks good so far, but I do not think that this should preclude the creation of a similar service on this website.

I still feel that the bigger the market - the better the service, so having a service on more than one website to catch more eyeballs and bring in more buyers and sellers would be beneficial for all. As an example, I would point out that most, though certainly not all, of the U-Sector season ticket holders have their seats in section 113. It seems likely, therefore, that most of the tickets that will be made available on their exchange program will be from that section. Likewise, RPB is mostly in 112, with a spillover into 111. In terms of view, price, and atmosphere, these seats are essentially the same.

Among the people I have talked to who have expressed an interest in catching a TFC game this year, but do not yet have tickets, there are a few who would love to stand for 90 minutes and yell/sing/drink with the guys in the supporters' groups, and their are others who would not be able to stand it and would want/need the better views and quieter atmosphere of the main grandstands. My little soccer-playing cousins, who are probably too short to see over standing adults even when standing on their chairs, and who would immediately repeat to their mother any interesting new words they picked up while under my supervision, come to mind. Although unproven, I suspect that a Voyageurs exchange program might offer a wider selection of seat options that the mostly 112/113 seats that the majority of RPB/U-Sector members could provide. The relatively few grandstand seats that are made available on those websites would probably not last very long. In a way, I wish there really was a Prawn Sandwich Brigade! It would make it easier to obtain good seats.

With BMO Field also serving as the "National Soccer Stadium", tickets for the May 11 U-20 friendly against Argentina being included in season tickets and the "International Game Pack", and TFC season ticket holders likely getting first crack at other Canadian national team games in Toronto, it is clear that any system this website establishes for the exchange of international game tickets should also be used for TFC tickets. I don't think this would necessarily mean more work, as the rules and format would be the same, and it would involve the same sellers (season ticket buyers) and in many cases, probably the same buyers as well. The partnership between the CSA and MLSE in creating a NSS and giving TFC season ticket holders first crack at tickets for national games, makes any attempt to create an exchange that only trades tickets for national games and not TFC, pointless and counterproductive.

/lengthy rant off

Archived