Canucks in Germany - April 2007

Grizzly

Nightmare start for Simpson in Kaiserslautern today. He got the start to replace another player who was sitting out his 5th yellow card suspension. After 14 minutes Simpson stopped a corner with his hand and was red carded. Duisburg scored on the subsequent penalty and won the game 3-0. Duisburg and FCK are direct competitors for the final promotion spot. The win moved Duisburg into the 3rd and final promotion place while FCK is in 6th 3 points away. The red card decision was correct according to the reports I have read.

I was in the stadium. I would also agree the the red card was correct. He prevented a 100% chance for Duisburg. He had a good start into the game, a good move on the left side hit a good cross, but then came minute 14 and it was over, for Josh and the team. But I need to admit, once again in an important game, against a competitor for a promotion spot, the FCK showed that they don´t have the talent for the Bundesliga. They do not deserve the promotion after this dissapointing season. But now they know that they can plan another year of second league. Which is for the fans and the entire region a disaster.

yesterday they already passed the sentence, he received a penalty of only one game suspension, but will so miss the next game at Burghausen. So no Canadian derby agains Niklas Ledgerwood.

Unsporting conduct...Fortunatelly neither, nor the team, nor the coach blamed him and so I´m confident of his return the next game at home.

There is an interesting interview with Daniel Imhof...

http://www.vfl-bochum.de/vfl2006/home/index.htm

He had his first 90 minutes appereance this season as his Bochum won 1:4 at Leverkusen.

He was asked how he feels, not only because of the game, on March 31st his daughter was born. He also talked about his first Bundesligayear. He had a lot of problems with injuries and so he lost a little bit the connection to the team, after he was a regular last season. He needed to ply with that new situation, but he learned a lot, he feels mentally stronger with this experieneces.

Unfortunatelly he wasn´t asked about the canadian national team and his chances to play at the gold cup

my opinion is, that it was already to late. They had the chance to promote, but with more then bad games at Freiburg and Duisburg and the blamable draw against 9 at Burghausen, something might happen. So fire him was the last thing to sustain the last hope.

They don´t have it in their own hand, they are depending on other teams and that´s why most of the fans don not believe in the team and the goal anymore

Riley O'Neil started for Wilhelmshaven today and scored his first goal in Germany in a 1-0 win over 1st place Osnabruck. According to the ticker O'Neill seems to have had a very strong game and was involved in a lot of the action. He also received a yellow card and then was subbed out in minute 89 due to what the ticker called a serious injury (hopefully they mean serious enough to have to be replaced in the game and not one which will put him out of action). Wilhelmshaven is in 17th place still 7 points out of a non-relegation spot with only 7 games left to play.

As Frank mentioned Josh scored his first goal and played 90 for FCK. They are 5 points from a promotion spot. Ledgerwood also started and played 90 today for Burghausen but they lost 2-1 to Offenbach and remain 2 points out of a non-relegation spot. Seems like Ledgerwood played as an offensive midfielder right behind the lone striker on the right. Simpson played the same position on the left though behind two strikers.

Josh was voted to the eleven of the day in germany´s most popular sports magazine, Kicker...

http://www.kicker.de/games/kicker2blma0607/startseite/artikel/364359/

Good news on him, hopefully he can repeat his effort from sunday on friday´s homegame vs Offenbach. I guess in oversea you will read this with big attention as he could be one of your trump for the gold cup...

Simpson plays 90 and scores again for FCK as they beat Kickers Offenbach 4-0 to keep their promotion dreams alive. The goal was apparently a great solo effort in which he dribbled around several defenders before beating the keeper. Kicker called the effort the highlight of the game and their game summary is titled, Simpson Dances and Scores.

With the new Coach we do not recognize Josh anymore. It looks like a burden fall down from him. In the first half he had another solo, as only one of Offenbach defensemen could stop him with a foul. He is the prime example for the new FCK.

In deed his 3:0 was the highlight of the game. Nevertheless, the pairings of the last game days in the 2. League don´t give to much hope for their promotion dreams. But the team finally plays soccer again. Confirmed my opinion that it was to late fireing coach Wolf.

Let´s see what Kev is doing this afternoon at Schalke. Nik with Burghausen plays Augsburg tomorrow in a bavarian derby.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Jonathan Borgault subs on in minute 77 for St. Pauli with the score 4-1. St. Pauli go on to win 5-1 over Gladbach II. The Albanian Rrustemi was subbed off in minute 71.

Video highlights of the game can be seen at: http://www1.ndr.de/ndr_page_video/0,,OID3929266_VID3936362_TYPreallow_LOCint,00.html

Since Rrustemi has been the subject of recent debate to his quality this may be the first look most of us have of him though this game does not make him look very good. The resolution is not high enough that you can make out the individual players but Rrustemi according to game reports is the defender who makes the big screwup on the Pauli 3rd goal (right after the Moenchengladbach goal from a penalty-those counting the goals but not understanding Germany may miss that Pauli also had a goal disallowed before this one). The central defence looks pretty poor on several of the Pauli goals even though it is hard to tell which one Rrustemi is. It seems like he was substituted for poor performance. I couldn't see Borgault on the video.

I try to find a link, because it´s really worth it. Hopefully I can find one, it´s not that easy, as all sources I searched did not offer it.

Josh is on everyones lips, with the change of headcoach Wolf he finally showed why he got a 3 year contract. After the results of the weekend Kaiserslautern in back in the race of the promotion, just 3 points behind 3 place. The hope returns and Josh is one the reasons.

Some sources where you could search

www.kicker.de

www.sport1.de

http://www.swr.de/flutlicht/index.html

www.dsf.de

I have searched myself for the goal but Germany is possibly the worst country for finding free tv coverage and video of games. All the 1st and 2nd division games are shown on expensive pay-tv channels and the enforcement of copyright is quite extreme. It is actually much easier and cheaper to watch German soccer on tv in Canada than in Germany. In my opinion just like boxing, this move has created immediate revenues at the expense of the general popularity of the sport.

Frank, I have heard that Klaus Toppmöller is a candidate for the coaching position next year. Let's hope this is not true because if it is FCK fans could be begging for Wolf's return. If Funkel does well hopefully he will be retained for next year.

There is a statement that says that Wolfgang Funkel will stay headcoach untill the end of the season.

At the moment there are a lot of rumors spooking around the Betzenberg. One of the names also was/is Klaus Toppmöller, but I can not imagine that he will be the next one. He had an offer some years ago, but he prefered not to come. Now more or less he brought his name into the game. But with statements regarding all the trades Wolfgang Wolf made he disqualified himselfe for it.

I guess the most possible names are

Ciriaco Sforza, Franco Foda, Swiss Coach Christian Gross and the latest Friedhelm Funkel (still head coach of Frankfurt, but also a former FCK-Player). Although Eintracht Managers backed him up, he only needs to loose next game at Dortmund, and then he would face the axe. So we could have a Funkel Duo...

You´re very well informed, I always look forward when I see that Canadians know a lot of German Soccer and the FCK

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have searched myself for the goal but Germany is possibly the worst country for finding free tv coverage and video of games. All the 1st and 2nd division games are shown on expensive pay-tv channels and the enforcement of copyright is quite extreme. It is actually much easier and cheaper to watch German soccer on tv in Canada than in Germany. In my opinion just like boxing, this move has created immediate revenues at the expense of the general popularity of the sport.

Judging by the attendance figures in Germany, it looks like Germans are making full use of their alternatives to watching the games on TV ;)

It´s really a expensive pleasure watching interesting sport in Germany.

1. and 2. Bundesliga, Pay TV

Champions League, Pay TV

English, Spanish, Italian League, Pay TV

NHL, Pay TV

NBA, Pay TV

To follow the Bundesliga, there is only good old Sportschau, which brings a 2 hour coverage of the actual game day and later on Sportstudio. And sunday morning some warmed up cuttings, with to much publicity between.

Let me know where I can follow german soccer on candadian tv and I will watch there...:);)

Thanks for the video FCH. Nice moves by Josh (or Yosh as the German announcers call him). Not the type of moves we are used to seeing from Canadian players. Would be nice if he could do a bit of this in WCQ.

Frank, I lived in Germany for 10 years. To be fair, although the German tv situation is pretty bad, the prices to attend games are quite reasonable compared to other countries which contributes to the decent attendance. The result of the cheap ticket prices but expensive tv prices is that there are quite a few hardcore fans who attend games but the amount of casual fans is much lower than in other countries.

Yes it was a good goal from Josh but I think he just took advantage of the weak attempt of those three defenders as they watched him move rather than close him down. Certainly the commentator went a bit overboard with his remark that a touch of Messi has been witnessed at the Betzenberg.Nevertheless I always want the canadian players to do well wherever they play in Deutschland as I think that germany is an excellent developmental playground for them.

Regarding the coverage of fussball in germany it is somewhat true that most top league tv coverage is pay per view but for the fan there are always alternatives.You can get together to watch the games at a pub or buy the pay tv package and share the cost between a bunch of friends.Most fans follow their team at home or away live inside the stadium anaway and last but not least their is the live radio conference which is quite popular.

As far as attendence is concerned the 1. Bundesliga enjoys the highest numbers in europe for the last few years thanks to upgrade of almost all the stadiums and the increase of the so called casual

fans or eventpublikum and the crackdown on those freunde der dritten halbzeit prior to the world cup.

Archived