Canadians abroad: March 30 - April 5, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete (in particular, American college matches, which are broadcast by FSWC, are not included) or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC and GolTV Canada repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, March 31

10:00 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski) vs. Portsmouth

Sunday, April 1

11:00 AM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Reading

5:00 PM (25-hour delay) on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Barcelona vs. Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman)

Thursday, April 5

9:30 PM on FSWC — CONCACAF Champions Cup: Semifinal, Second Leg

Pachuca (Mexico) vs. Houston (United States) (Dwayne De Rosario, Pat Onstad)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 30 - April 5, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

No games in for Nsaliwa at Panionios and anywhere in Greece this weekend for any team sport, as a brawl led to a death after a women's volleyball match, a knifing of a fan. Think it was two Athens teams involved, Panathinaikos and one of the others.

The Greek government has decided that no team sports will be played for two weeks, meaning essentially just today is postponed, as with the Greek orthodox holidays (starting Palm Sunday tomorrow, to Easter Sunday), no pro sport is usually played anyways.

Greek clubs, like Benfica and Oporto, like Barça, and like teams in Turkey and Israel, have many pro sports they support, often with incredible fan presence. Not sure about volleyball (though women's is really on the rise in southern Europe), but basketball can be very intense. Worst places to play basketball away in Europe are in Athens and Istanbul.

Tomasz Radzinski set to start against Portsmouth for Fulham.

Paul Peschisolido is on the bench for Derby as they take on Barnsley.

Jason De Vos to start for Ipswich while Peters is on the bench. Town is playing Plymouth.

Iain Hume has started for Leicester City.

Radz was subbed out in the 60th for Montella. FFC come back to draw 1-1.

Rayner gets the shutout in a 1-0 Torquay home victory.

De Vos goes 90 and Peters stays on the bench in a 3-0 Ipswich win.

Hume goes 90 as Leicester fall 4-2.

Inverness come back and steal a 1-1 draw at Ibrox, the second result they've nicked from Rangers this year.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman started in Camp Nou for Depor, subbed out middle of the second half. First half was an interesting set-up from a tactical point of view: he went way out to follow Xavi on the Depor right midfield, as Juan Rodriguez did on the other side following Iniesta, who were the Barça double pivot behind the strikers. Only that sometimes, as Xavi goes way back to the defensive line to pick up the ball, Julian was there with him. So he found himself well forwards on some of Depor's attacking transitions, and finds himself in the attacking plays, even once combined well deep left.

Second half this came apart a bit, and he was most active as Ronaldinho got wound up and started really playing, burned Julian once on a move, another time Julian stayed with him.

I think Julian did a fine job first half, but Depor has weak attacking options, Barça played its usual 80% speed and effort we've seen this season, no real killer drive from the start. Late 1st half a few reffing decisions pissed off Barça players and fans, which is great: we got hot and picked up the pace, and the goal cam at the end of the 1st half, 1-0.

With Depor having to come out and attack more 2nd half, the second one came fairly easily as well, and we continued to attack and control the play. But as soon as we started to rest on our laurels, Depor got a few good plays out of a young player named Adrian, on one made a great control after a bad clearance, from chest to foot to stepping on it while running, to the chip past Valdes, real class. But even with the 2-1 I still thought that Barça was way superior against a side that really needs to sort out its attacking options. Remember this is the team that once had Roy Mackaay or Tristan scoring 15-20 a year, while now the leading scorer has five.

Ajax 3 - 0 Heracles Almelo

Friend starts the match for HA, and is subbed out at 68 minutes.

Will Johnson on the bench for Heerenveen as they are currently blowing a 2-0 lead, and are now tied 2-2. T&T international Darryl Roberts scored on his debut for Sparta Rotterdam to lead the comeback.

Johnson enters the match at the 86th minute.

Guest Jeffery S.

No Klukowski today for Bruges as they fell to Mouscron 2-1, still fifth in the league.

Since he did play a few weeks ago, think it was a Cup game, wonder if he has fallen out of the rotation, or if he still has health problems. In any case as the team is doing poorly, not so bad to be outside of the mess. Only would like to see him playing a bit before calling him to the Canada mix.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar scored to get the home draw for Gondomar, 1-1 vs. promotion rivals Santa Clara. Santa Clara went ahead at the end of the first half, when Aguiar also was carded (not sure if related). Aguiar's strike came in m. 61.

Gondomar stays 5th, 5 points off a promotion spot with 7 games to go.

Guest Jeffery S.

Anyone see if Stalteri has a chance of playing in Seville this Thursday in UEFA? Sevilla is actually very dynamic down the wings and I don't think Spurs will be taking any risks, so would Paul fit into that picture?

Spurs better get a hotel out of town as with the Holy Week processions there is constant drumming, Sevilla is so lovely this time of year, and the Semana Santa is so intense. So good to stay away from town.

Hoping that Sevilla gets well worn out by Spurs and it continues to take its toll on their league performance. In fact want Spurs to go through as I think it is better for them to receive a psychological blow, speaking from the egotistical terms of a culé of course.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Anyone see if Stalteri has a chance of playing in Seville this Thursday in UEFA? Sevilla is actually very dynamic down the wings and I don't think Spurs will be taking any risks, so would Paul fit into that picture?

Spurs better get a hotel out of town as with the Holy Week processions there is constant drumming, Sevilla is so lovely this time of year, and the Semana Santa is so intense. So good to stay away from town.

Hoping that Sevilla gets well worn out by Spurs and it continues to take its toll on their league performance. In fact want Spurs to go through as I think it is better for them to receive a psychological blow, speaking from the egotistical terms of a culé of course.

I think Stalteri will start as Tottenham are short of defenders (Rocha is cup-tied, King & Gardner are out). Chimbonda will probably move to centreback, making room for Stalteri.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I think Stalteri will start as Tottenham are short of defenders (Rocha is cup-tied, King & Gardner are out). Chimbonda will probably move to centreback, making room for Stalteri.

Oh goody, only he is going to have a lot of work I think. Not to mention the added Kanoute vs his ex team factor, he has performed like a world class striker since in Sevilla, is still leading the league.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Atiba scored FCK third goal in their 3-1 win over Silkeborg.

Vejle tied AC Horsens 0-0. Not sure if Gerba and Issey played.

Issey did not play and was not on the bench. I see Gerba got an early yellow, so he must have at least started.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

Stalteri starts and Spurs are a goal up away to Seville in the 2nd minute thanks to Robbie Keane.

Game on!

Sevilla comes back with a very dubious penalty and a goal by Kerchakov in a goalmouth scramble.

So exciting this game that I fell asleep in front of the tube with 15 mintues left. Stalteri was good, holding his side well vs. Adriano and going forwards with good sense to back up Lennon. Has to be said that the other side of the Sevilla attack with Alves and Navas was quite a bit more dangerous. IN any case, for me a good showing by Spurs, making Sevilla look only average, more or less how the visitors looked as well.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Stalteri was good, holding his side well vs. Adriano and going forwards with good sense to back up Lennon.

I hope that is true for his performance throughout the game because, although I have only seen the highlights, it looks like Stalteri was partially to blame for both of Seville's goals. His hesistation and poor header back to Robinson led to play that resulted in the penalty. As for the second the goal, you can see him try and cover the Sevilla player at the last minute, but no luck. I am not here to harp on Stalteri, I want to see him do well and get more playing time, but I just don't know how much of these goals were partially his fault or just poor defending by Tottenham altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwP4-RC8MZ4

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sloth8

I hope that is true for his performance throughout the game because, although I have only seen the highlights, it looks like Stalteri was partially to blame for both of Seville's goals. His hesistation and poor header back to Robinson led to play that resulted in the penalty. As for the second the goal, you can see him try and cover the Sevilla player at the last minute, but no luck. I am not here to harp on Stalteri, I want to see him do well and get more playing time, but I just don't know how much of these goals were partially his fault or just poor defending by Tottenham altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwP4-RC8MZ4

I did not see it that way, as the first play is not a penalty, and the second there are three defenders in the area near the striker. In any case, he was the outside defender, so the real ones responsible smack in the middle are those whose position it is, in the middle, centre backs.

Anyways, I was watching critically and did not have that sense of any direct fault.

Archived