Marketing TFC

Gian-Luca

There are a whole bunch of key points made and it sounds like they are all quoting me one way or another.

Almost no advertising,yet so successful

public relations and media interest very important

many are new Canadians or children from emigrants

coverage in the mainstream media is key to gaining credibility

new stories every two weeks

try outs got lots of media attention.

and.....

some strong reservations by the non soccer media marketing guys.

(they will get another marketing lesson)

Anyway I am so happy to see the Star getting the message and finally surrendering to the obvious,

``welcome aboard the soccer train guys and have fun``

It is going to be a blast!

Hey GL you got me out of my retirement,just could not resist to reply

justice!

Hey I am having a ball at my very old age,woopie no one reacting,come on guys let's have fun it keeps you young and vibrant.

Is this old bastard teaching you p... a little lesson, or maybe I got Lucky. Just learned my company again was chosen as the best one in it's category in Metro Toronto. This is nine years in a row.I ain't that stupid.

Some points.

I would bet that families with at least one parent being foreign-born would be the majority of families in the GTA (but I don't know where you would find definitive stats). When greater than 40% of residents in the GTA are foreign-born, it becomes highly probable. It would also mean that most or almost all kids in school are likely to have at least one friend who is foreign-born. One thing is for certain. That is the middle-aged WASP without foreign family connections is a minority in the GTA.

Second, with young people, it seems that they are looking for a good team to support. That does not mean necessarily a club team from the home country of one of your parents. It is why my son has an Arsenal shirt and why some young people run around wearing Brazil shirts (and are not Brazilian). It is not a phenomenon limited to Canada. You can see foreign club soccer shirts in many countries including countries like Brazil. Credibility of the team and league is the key.

Third, I have a slightly different perspective on the Beckham effect because I was in Brazil at the time of the announcement. The common view is that casual soccer fans suddenly wanted to be sure to have a ticket when LA comes and have bought season tickets as a result. I believe a second and more important effect is also at play. That is that people suddenly took notice of MLS (and its credibility was raised)when Beckham signed with LA. That includes GTA and Ontario residents looking for a team to support. I think it is less likely to be new families to Canada. For a new Canadian family of four, a season ticket price of $200 still totals $800 plus food plus parking etc. That is a lot of money for a new family that is still trying to establish itself.

The increased credibility of MLS also comes from foreign player agents, professional players and fans around the world. For players and player agents, the $250,000,000 number got their attention. I was in Brazil at the time of the announcement and can verify that the people I know in the business were curious. I was surprised by how little they knew about MLS. I think the comments made by Carl Robinson about British players being interested (mentioned in press reports posted by others here) also speaks to this effect. Again the challenge for TFC is to maintain that credibility.

Fourth, it is common for many in soccer countries to have more than one team that you support. Many will support their local club, which might be a little club, and then support one of the big-brand clubs in the country or elsewhere. I think TFC has it right in this case.

Finally, the biggest mistake made by many casual observers of the soccer market is assuming that the average soccer fan in Toronto is not knowledgeable. Yes there are some that are not that knowledgeable; but, there are many others that are very knowledgeable and you cannot fool them into supporting a poor product. Again, TFC must put a high quality product on the field.

And a niggly editorial comment. "Bearish" in financial circles typically means negative. "Bullish" is the term normally used for positive. I suspect the author means positive.

Hey Oranje how about the Brazilian girls.Yes when it has the U it is up and that e whatever.

It is all about life that soccer and that feeling goes deeper than anyone can describe.You love it or fear it.Our mission is to convert all those media influenced soccer haters to see soccer for what it is,as the whole effen world does.I don't know who these people are or were that managed to divert this special feelings to these N.A sports but I guess in the long run soccer will prevail. It is a sport that represents a he,,,l of a lot more than just sports. So back to these sexy Brazilian girls,they are the only ones that may make me watch them instead of that silly game!

With a bit of luck Toronto FC could play future pre seasons games in the UK,Europe,SA, just to help market the team and players more.

soccer haters in the TO media...who would they be....Bob McCowan,

the future so bright i must wear shades on TV? Or that anti soccer

clown at the star who was against the stadium deal at the start,

can rememeber his it's but is doesn't matter...he's a wanker !!!!

Go Toronto FC.....6 days til victory!!!

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

And a niggly editorial comment. "Bearish" in financial circles typically means negative. "Bullish" is the term normally used for positive. I suspect the author means positive.

Yep I noticed that too. Bullish good, bearish bad.

(Unless you're a value investor.)

Guest speedmonk42

I think the talk of 'product' is a very bad sign.

I too believe there are a large number of knowledgeable fans out there in TO.

The focus should be on support and building something for the future, and that is something knowledgeable soccer fans should know something about.

TFC, and soccer in Canada in general, needs supporters, not consumers.

Guest speedmonk42

I think the talk of 'product' is a very bad sign.

I too believe there are a large number of knowledgeable fans out there in TO.

The focus should be on support and building something for the future, and that is something knowledgeable soccer fans should know something about.

TFC, and soccer in Canada in general, needs supporters, not consumers.

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

With a bit of luck Toronto FC could play future pre seasons games in the UK,Europe,SA, just to help market the team and players more.

*confused* How would that market the team?

If they wanna market the team, they should play UK and European clubs IN Toronto (or in other Canadian cities). They are not gonna gain any new fans by having a UK pre-season tour.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

*confused* How would that market the team?

If they wanna market the team, they should play UK and European clubs IN Toronto (or in other Canadian cities). They are not gonna gain any new fans by having a UK pre-season tour.

I agree.

The fact is that MLS teams already do play such games, with hardly any interest at all from fans. I recognize that they are usually in the MLS pre-season. That means they are against either teams in mid-season looking for a bit of practice, or against those on a winter break working to get back in form or those playing similar seasons as MLS, ie Norway and Sweden. Most of these matches are not played in the stadiums of the Scandinavian teams, but in the south of Europe (La Manga for example).

Now if you were to play a pre-season game vs. Rosenborg or Gothenburg ten days before their season starts (like in late March), when conditions could still be a bit rough up there, maybe you would get a bit of a crowd, as the fans are warming up for things. But that is virtually the only reasonable option, apart from travelling to Europe in July or even August to play a promotional game. Not feasible for a ton of reasons, mostly because you are in mid-season, you are not a big draw though, and the costs are prohibitive for a team that does not draw anyways.

Archived