Whitecaps sign Valente and free agent Lyle Martin

Richard

I don't think dropping Franks had anything to do with how well he played, but because he didn't want to train with the team in the off season over working a more lucrative construction job (which is sad in itself).

I think Serge is a good Canadian Goalkeeper though, and I hope he backs up Caig.

Having seen Dustin Bixler twice over the weekend, I have to agree with K-head that indeed, USL2 signings need to be better than Bixler and Said Ali, when there are more capable players in these parts.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Franks was not dropped by the Whitecaps, they wanted him back but he chose not to re-sign in favour of pursuing other long term career options.

This is a classic example of what I have repeatedly said, that there are plenty of Canadian players good enough to play at the USL D1 level but they choose not to. This forces the Whitecaps to look further afield including the USA.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Mike Franks was not dropped by the Whitecaps, they wanted him back but he chose not to re-sign in favour of pursuing other long term career options.

BS. He wanted to return but Calgary Boomer is correct in his summary that Franks did not want to train with the Whitecaps in the off season when he wasn't being paid. The Whitecaps made it impossible for him to return. In turn they signed an American who really is quite rubbish, I'm glad he has signed with Portland. In fact Portland fans were questioning the signing after watching him play for the Whitecaps the last couple of seasons.

Do the Whitecaps expect their American players to stay in town and train during the off season?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

BS. He wanted to return but Calgary Boomer is correct in his summary that Franks did not want to train with the Whitecaps in the off season when he wasn't being paid. The Whitecaps made it impossible for him to return. In turn they signed an American who really is quite rubbish, I'm glad he has signed with Portland. In fact Portland fans were questioning the signing after watching him play for the Whitecaps the last couple of seasons.

Do the Whitecaps expect their American players to stay in town and train during the off season?

That is almost right, just have to clarify that Wicks had already played a year with Caps, indeed played the whole end of the season and beginning of the playoffs. He was competent but most felt Franks was quite superior.

So it is not like Caps signed Wicks to replace Franks, he was signed to be 2nd keeper.

As you correctly state Franks could not combine winter work obligations with training with the Caps.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

That is almost right, just have to clarify that Wicks had already played a year with Caps, indeed played the whole end of the season and beginning of the playoffs. He was competent but most felt Franks was quite superior.

So it is not like Caps signed Wicks to replace Franks, he was signed to be 2nd keeper.

As you correctly state Franks could not combine winter work obligations with training with the Caps.

You are correct. Franks suffered an injury and was replaced by Wicks mid-season. When Franks recovered Lilley kept him in net when his performance didn't deserve it. After that season Franks was let go because of the reasons stated and Wicks took his spot. Was Wicks required to stay in Vancouver over the winter or was he allowed to go back home or is that only a requirement they have for the Canadian players?

Guest Jeffery S.

It is possible that the Caps can partially justify this by having players do youth coaching. I know they do this in season, especially with the subs in summer, as some coached my kid in the summer of 2005. So maybe if they do it in winter it is work enough to justify staying on and training.

I also seem to recall that some of the players coming in from outside are put up in homes with families or other people, perhaps paying rent, not sure. But as home stays, perhaps a way to solve the housing problem and help the players settle, ensure a bit of home stability. Indeed I think Wicks told me he was living with some lady who had a deal with the Whitecaps.

Archived