TFC Broadcasts...

Calgary Boomer

No TV deal yet. The Globe and Mail has reported that CBC and The Score have been in talks with TFC. I emailed both networks about this last week and CBC wrote back to me saying that I should "stay tuned" for an announcement.

I believe the first match is on FSWC - at least it is on the Fox Soccer Channel in the US so I am assuming that its Canadian counterpart will get that one, if all else fails with The Score & CBC (who are going to be broadcasting Hockey that night in any event). But I am a bit surprised that it is taking this long to announce a broadcast schedule for the rest of the season.

I believe the first match is on FSWC - at least it is on the Fox Soccer Channel in the US so I am assuming that its Canadian counterpart will get that one, if all else fails with The Score & CBC (who are going to be broadcasting Hockey that night in any event). But I am a bit surprised that it is taking this long to announce a broadcast schedule for the rest of the season.

The star is reporting in this mornings paper that the first game against Chivas will be carried on Sportsnet. They are also reporting that CBC and Sportsnet have agreed to carry 20 of teh 30 matches. the remaining 10 are with an undisclosed provider that was rumoured ( by the star) to be Goltv

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The star is reporting in this mornings paper that the first game against Chivas will be carried on Sportsnet. They are also reporting that CBC and Sportsnet have agreed to carry 20 of teh 30 matches. the remaining 10 are with an undisclosed provider that was rumoured ( by the star) to be Goltv

That would be nice.

I would be able to watch all TFC games with those broadcasters.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Unfortunately they are also reporting that Dobson is expected to do the play by play for the Sportsnet broadcasts. That is disappointing news for me.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Unfortunately they are also reporting that Dobson is expected to do the play by play for the Sportsnet broadcasts. That is disappointing news for me.

Well maybe he will have figurered out how to distinguish between Marco Reda and Elvis Thomas. :D

Actually I should clarify that I personally dont mind Gerry's work. But what i was alluding to above goes back to a Gold Cup match in 2000 when Gerry was starting off as a soccer broadcaster. He had announced ( just as the cameras were focusing in on Elvis Thomas getting ready to come on) that Marco Reda is preparing to enter the pitch. Well Reda and Thomas are pretty easy to tell appart since one player is black and the other is white.

Dobson's mess up created some good fodder for laughs at Lynx games.

Here's the article - nothing's confirmed but it looks good. I think national TV exposure will be good for the game in Canada and could pave the way to eventual expansion elsewhere in Canada. (And, on a selfish note, I want to watch all the games!)

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/196706

Top TV exposure for FC

TheStar.com - Sports - Top TV exposure for FC

March 28, 2007

The CBC and Rogers Sportsnet will televise the bulk of Toronto FC's games in the team's inaugural season.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chief operating officer Tom Anselmi confirmed yesterday that CBC and Sportsnet will probably carry 20 of the team's 30 games between them.

``Nothing is finalized but we are expecting to have all of our games on television and we're expecting to announce a couple of significant deals soon," Anselmi said. ``But Sportsnet and CBC will be our main carriers, with a third network likely to get involved. Details are still being worked out."

Sources say the third network will likely be GOLTV, which has connections to MLSE.

MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum is a principal owner of Insight Sports Ltd., which owns the digital soccer channel.

Sportsnet will carry the team's Major League Soccer opener against Chivas USA on April 7. Gerry Dobson is expected to do the play-by-play.

CBC's interest in the team is twofold. It sees Toronto FC as a perfect adjunct to its FIFA deal that has given it rights to the world under-20 championship tournament and the next World Cup.

CHRIS ZELKOVICH

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As long as Steve Armitage does not do the games for CBC, I would take

Dobson as an announcer over him any day. I just hope dont ruin soccer

like they did HNIC with the ron & Don puppet show!!

Another article on TV coverage of of TFC in today's Globe. The only new facts are that Sportsnet will cover the season opener and that a decision has not been made on who will do play-by-play.

In the "rumours" category, this article says that Telelatino will likely be the third network (as opposed to GolTV) and that, all together, about 23 of the 30 TFC matches will be televised.

Link

No royal treatment for Toronto FC opener

WILLIAM HOUSTON

The debut of a new sports franchise usually encourages special television coverage. Toronto FC, for its inaugural Major League Soccer game next week, may not get much more than a generic U.S. telecast.

Rogers Sportsnet will carry FC's season opener against Chivas USA on April 7, but the network will use a Fox feed and perhaps also its play-by-play broadcast.

The right move would be to send Rogers announcer Gerry Dobson and analyst Craig Forrest to Carson, Calif., to call the game. A final decision has yet to be made, apparently, and David Akande, the head of production for Sportsnet, couldn't be reached for comment.

Sportsnet, the CBC and likely Telelatino will air about 23 of FC's 30 regular-season games. The CBC, with a preference of producing its own telecasts, is likely to get the majority of the home telecasts. In MLS, the home team's broadcaster provides a feed to the visitor's network.

There's no word on who will call the games for the CBC.

[snip]

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Rogers Sportsnet will carry FC's season opener against Chivas USA on April 7, but the network will use a Fox feed and perhaps also its play-by-play broadcast.

The right move would be to send Rogers announcer Gerry Dobson and analyst Craig Forrest to Carson, Calif., to call the game. A final decision has yet to be made, apparently, and David Akande, the head of production for Sportsnet, couldn't be reached for comment.

Sounds like the author would rather have Dobson and Forrest call the match from a studio 2000 miles away than use Fox commentators who are actually in the stadium.

That's remarkable!

Sounds like the author would rather have Dobson and Forrest call the match from a studio 2000 miles away than use Fox commentators who are actually in the stadium.

That's remarkable!

I'm going to guess the writer ment "send" Dobson & Forrest to California, not SportsNet's Toronto studio.

I read the complaint being that SportsNet is trying to do this TFC broadcasting thing on the cheap. Not a new complaint about SportsNet in these parts.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

That's remarkable!

Huh? The author wrote "the right move would be to send Rogers announcer Gerry Dobson and analyst Craig Forrest to Carson, Calif., to call the game."

That doesn't sound like he wants them 2000 miles away at all.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Huh? The author wrote "the right move would be to send Rogers announcer Gerry Dobson and analyst Craig Forrest to Carson, Calif., to call the game."

That doesn't sound like he wants them 2000 miles away at all.

Ahh yes. At first read the previous paragraph ("but the network will use a Fox feed and perhaps also its play-by-play broadcast") seemed to imply that Dobson and Forrest in studio is the second-best choice, with Fox commentators the third and worst possible choice.

But perhaps not.

Another article on TV coverage of of TFC in today's Globe. The only new facts are that Sportsnet will cover the season opener and that a decision has not been made on who will do play-by-play.

In the "rumours" category, this article says that Telelatino will likely be the third network (as opposed to GolTV) and that, all together, about 23 of the 30 TFC matches will be televised.

Link

No royal treatment for Toronto FC opener

WILLIAM HOUSTON

The debut of a new sports franchise usually encourages special television coverage. Toronto FC, for its inaugural Major League Soccer game next week, may not get much more than a generic U.S. telecast.

Sportsnet, the CBC and likely Telelatino will air about 23 of FC's 30 regular-season games. The CBC, with a preference of producing its own telecasts, is likely to get the majority of the home telecasts. In MLS, the home team's broadcaster provides a feed to the visitor's network.

There's no word on who will call the games for the CBC.

[snip]

Telelatino, would that be an english broadcast, italian etc?

If sportsnet is doing this on the cheap then maybe next season,

more soccer friendly like a fox sports world canada will step in,

but right now, we viewers can't do much?

quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Telelatino, would that be an english broadcast, italian etc?

If sportsnet is doing this on the cheap then maybe next season,

more soccer friendly like a fox sports world canada will step in,

but right now, we viewers can't do much?

Fox Sports World Canada has even less money than Sportsnet to send announcers to away matches, not to mention that putting too many TFC matches on a strictly digital channel would severely restrict the number of possible viewers that could be exposed to the product.

Archived