TFC Broadcasts...

Calgary Boomer

quote:FC's opener

Sportsnet president Doug Beeforth says the network will use its own play-by-play team to call Toronto FC's inaugural game next weekend against Chivas USA.

In Major League Soccer, the home team provides a host broadcast. Sportsnet will pick up the host feed, but will send announcer Gerry Dobson and analyst Craig Forrest to California to call the game, as well as two additional camera technicians and a producer.

Beeforth said the option of using the host play-by-play team was available, but rejected.

"At the end of the day, it wasn't the right thing to do," he said.

Sportsnet will air eight FC games, two at home and six on the road, all of which will be called by Dobson and Forrest.

Link

quote:Originally posted by crashvegas

Did you just say that Vic Rauter knows the game better than Dobson? Dobson may not be a soccer genius, but I'm surprised that when Vic commentates on a game he doesn't ask 'when do they get into a scrum?'

I have to agree.

Saying Rauter knows more about the game than Dobson may have been true back in 1999 (when Dobson first started as a soccer commentator/host), but to his credit Dobson has taken it upon himself to learn a lot about soccer since then.

He may not be the best play-by-play man around, but as a host he knows his stuff.

I guess I was maybe the guilty one that got Gerry into soccer.First of all as a sport editor at CFTO he was a great supporter of the Robbie,subsequently I invited him to play in a celebrity game at the Toronto Blizzard and he played quite well,he knows how to play soccer. I saw him at a penalty fund raising event and he took penalties with both feet and scored as well.His enthusiasm is second to none among all broadcasters and one of the nicest and most sincere guys you will ever meet.He has been the master of ceremonies at the Soccer Hall Of Fame banquet since it start,doing one amazing job.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I guess I was maybe the guilty one that got Gerry into soccer.First of all as a sport editor at CFTO he was a great supporter of the Robbie,subsequently I invited him to play in a celebrity game at the Toronto Blizzard and he played quite well,he knows how to play soccer. I saw him at a penalty fund raising event and he took penalties with both feet and scored as well.His enthusiasm is second to none among all broadcasters and one of the nicest and most sincere guys you will ever meet.He has been the master of ceremonies at the Soccer Hall Of Fame banquet since it start,doing one amazing job.

It always comes back to John TV...;)

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

To his credit Gerry only referred to TFC as "Canada" once.

Actually, I counted twice, plus once referring to Sutton as the "Canadian keeper". (While yes, Sutton is Canadian, I'm guessing this was really a Canada/TFC slip on Dobson's part; eg, it seems unlikely he'd refer to Eskandarian as "the American forward" instead of "the Toronto forward" while in the middle of the play-by-play. But that's debateable, I know...)

Archived