Canada vs Costa Rica - September 12

Winnipeg Fury

Canada announces international friendly with Costa Rica

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) –The Canadian Soccer Association announced today their men’s national team has scheduled an international friendly with CONCACAF rival Costa Rica. The two teams will play in Toronto at the National Soccer Stadium on 12 September 2007.

Canada has faced Costa Rica 15 times at the men’s senior team level, including four matches in past Gold Cup competitions. Costa Rica won the last match 1:0 on a Jafet Soto penalty kick in the 2005 Gold Cup (7 July in Seattle, WA). Canada won their previous Gold Cup match in 2003 (1:0 after a Paul Stalteri strike) while both teams earned draws in 2000 (2:2) and 1993 (1:1). In 11 other match-ups (World Cup qualifying or international friendly matches), Canada has recorded two wins, six losses and three draws. In all, Canada has faced Costa Rica 39 times at all levels (Canada has 14 wins, 15 losses and 10 draws).

Canada and Costa Rica will also face each other in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup this summer. Canada and Costa Rica were drawn into the same group with Guadeloupe and Haiti. The tournament will feature its biggest prize pool ever after CONCACAF announced that prizes more than doubled for all winners and qualifiers in the 12-team tournament. From the tournament’s 16-year history (eight finals), Canada were Gold Cup champions in 2000.

Le Canada annonce un match international amical contre le Costa Rica

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – L’Association canadienne de soccer a annoncé aujourd’hui que son équipe nationale masculine senior disputera un match international amical contre son rival de la CONCACAF, le Costa Rica. Le match aura lieu le 12 septembre 2007 au stade national de soccer à Toronto.

L’équipe masculine senior du Canada a affronté le Costa Rica à 15 reprises, dont quatre matchs dans le cadre de la Gold Cup. C’est le Costa Rica qui, au cours de l’édition 2005 de la Gold Cup (le 7 juillet à Seattle, dans le Washington), a remporté le dernier match par un score de 1 à 0 sur un penalty signé Jafet Soto. Le Canada avait toutefois remporté le match précédant de la Gold Cup, en 2003 (1 à 0 grâce à un but de Paul Stalteri). Les deux autres matchs se sont soldés par un score nul, à savoir 2 à 2 en 2000 et 1 à 1 en 1993. Au cours des 11 autres matchs (des matchs de qualification pour la Coupe du Monde ou des matchs internationaux amicaux), le Canada a enregistré deux victoires, six défaites et trois matchs nul. Dans l’ensemble, le Canada a affronté le Costa Rica à 39 reprises, tous niveaux confondus, pour une fiche cumulative de 14 victoires, 15 défaites et dix matchs nuls.

Le Canada et le Costa Rica s’affronteront également dans le cadre de l’édition 2007 de la Gold Cup de la CONCACAF, qui aura lieu cet été. Les deux équipes se retrouvent dans le même groupe aux côtés de la Guadeloupe et de Haïti. L’ensemble des prix sera le plus important jamais vu depuis leur introduction par la CONCACAF; en effet, ils ont plus que doublé pour le vainqueur et les équipes qualifiées pour le tournoi à 12 équipes. Le Canada a remporté la Gold Cup en 2000.

Good stuff. I'm still waiting for another pre-Gold Cup friendly to be announced, as we can hardly go into the Gold Cup without at least one friendly under our new coach (and Bermuda doesn't appear to be it) & expect to do really well. However this was one team that we were never likely to play prior to the Gold Cup once the draw was announced, so setting this up for a post-Gold Cup match & building some momentum & continuity heading into World Cup Qualifying in 2008 is a good move.

Excellent news and an excellent choice of opponent, we need these kind of games.

If we could play one pre-GC game and get to the second round of this tournament it will mean 7-8 games in the span of 3 months, that would be awesome for this team.

I don't know what your guys are thinking, but it looks to me that Linford is respecting what he said back in November talking about our MNT playing more games. Of course he benefits from the GC but still I'm happy with those games.

Like everyone else, I am happy with Canada's opponent. It is also nice to see that the game will be played at home so that some of us can actual see our players in person. Was looking into traveling to Iceland but I may just wait two weeks instead. Can't wait to get my tickets.

quote:Originally posted by sloth8

Like everyone else, I am happy with Canada's opponent. It is also nice to see that the game will be played at home so that some of us can actual see our players in person. Was looking into traveling to Iceland but I may just wait two weeks instead. Can't wait to get my tickets.

I always marvel at the locations of our many Voyageurs across Canada and abroad.

You get my nod for most obscure location (I wasn't even sure if that was in Canada).

Welcome aboard !

For purely sentimental reasons, I would love to see Canada play a friendly at BMO closer to its grand opening.

It seems odd to not have a game at the new national football stadium until 5 months after its opened.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

For purely sentimental reasons, I would love to see Canada play a friendly at BMO closer to its grand opening.

It seems odd to not have a game at the new national football stadium until 5 months after its opened.

Sadly TFC is playing on June 2 which the only FIFA date remaining on the calendar. We have the GC after that and then the stadium is booked for the U-20 until the end of July. So I guess that september 12 is the closest date we could have or maybe august 22 and september 8 but for 3 weeks or 4 days it doesn't really matter.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The U-20 team is playing a match on the "Official Grand Opening Weekend" (May 11th). Opponents are believed to be Portugal, but it has yet to be announced.

It sounds like it will be Argentina U-20's on May 11 at BMO field. Excellent stuff, the world champs will be there.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11599

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The U-20 team is playing a match on the "Official Grand Opening Weekend" (May 11th). Opponents are believed to be Portugal, but it has yet to be announced.

It sounds like it will be Argentina U-20's on May 11 at BMO field. Excellent stuff, the world champs will be there.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11599

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Never stopped the other MLS clubs from having doubleheader days. Is this against any FIFA laws to host on the same day? The women do it fine..

You're right, forgot about the possibility of playing a double header but I'm not sure FIFA laws allow this.

On the other hand I would think the CSA wants the team to be in Florida at that time (our first game is June 6), so if we play a friendly I guess it will be in the US or in Central America.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I always marvel at the locations of our many Voyageurs across Canada and abroad.

You get my nod for most obscure location (I wasn't even sure if that was in Canada).

Welcome aboard !

Quispamsis? easy! It's just outside of Saint John, NB!!! Near Rothesay! :)

Archived