Luis Antonio Podilla Maples Juventus

Damian Rocke Lucania

Steve Sawatzky Sons of Italy

Jeff Seney Lucania

Ryan da Silva ** Phoenix SC

Jordan Smith ** Phoenix SC

Astrit Troni Lucania

** - Youth Player

In addition to this roster, the Winnipeg Alliance FC will be announcing the signing of two import players soon.

Coaches

Chic Devenney

Devenney is a longtime local coach who led the Sons of Italy senior men's side to a national championship in 2002.

Walt McKee

McKee is the University of Manitoba women's soccer team head coach and was director of player personnel for the Winnipeg Fury, an outdoor professional team that competed in the Canadian Soccer League until its 1993 demise.

Here is hoping the game gets a good reception. Untill last week, I saw no posters anywhere. Then last week, around the MTS Centre, I saw two posters, one near City Place/MTS Centre Concourse, and the other at the MTS Centre entrance. I hope it gets a good crowd, but I am not pinning my hopes on it. Although, Edmonton got somewhat of a decent crowd. If the game in Winnipeg gets more then 2000, then I will be pleasently surprised.

Saw this in the Winnipeg Sun this morning. I've heard rumours that one of the pros they're bringing in used to play for the MNT.

Alliance heavy on locals

By SUN MEDIA

The Winnipeg Alliance indoor soccer team announced its roster yesterday, and it's chock full of local talent.

Aside from a pair of imports, the rest of the 20-member squad is comprised of Manitoba players.

The Alliance, which is a member of the fledgling, four-team Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League, will play its inaugural game on Friday in Saskatoon against the Accelerators.

The Alliance will then complete its "showcase season" with a pair of exhibition contests against the Edmonton Drillers at MTS Centre on April 1.

Five Alliance players come from the Winnipeg's Lucania squad, including midfielder-defender Damian Rocke, midfielder Astrit Troni, midfielder Rob Gale, goalkeeper Jeff Seney and midfielder-forward Tom Foderaro.

Goalkeeper Steve Sawatsky, midfielder Frank Buoncore and defender Andrew Aiken come from the Sons of Italy squad, while defender Dimitri Ifantis, midfielder Vinny Ferlaino and Tony Lupinetti hail from Hellas SC.

Forward Tom Findlay (Ital Inter), defender Paul Galante (Croatia), Jordan Goetting (Ital Inter) and forward Luis Antonio Podilla (Maples Juventus) also cracked the roster.

Goalkeeper Dylan O'Conner (BoniVital Flames), defender Jordan Smith (Phoenix Soccer Club) and midfielder Ryan da Silva (Phoenix) are the youth players who round out the local segment of the Alliance roster.

The team will introduce one of its imports today. Team officials are calling him a "major player."

Looking at the range of participation from the clubs I have to say I'm impressed. Got some good coverage there (Yeah Phoenix!) but some others are very noticably absent.

Still, from the players I recognize, to be honest the only one I can see being a strong indoor player is Sawatsky and he's a goalkeeper.

Got a hard time visualising Aitkens and Damion Rocke as standout field players in the indoor game. But I throw out the disclaimer that I've never seen them play indoor so I'll just have to go have a look see.

#1 Nephew has been dropping hints about the game so I guess I'm commited now. His club team (Valley Gardens) lost two players to Phoenix this winter and might loose more yet. Should mention that his VG club team last year was actualy pretty damn good. Didn't loose a game until the city finals. (But I should mention they accomplished that in-spite of their coaching, not because of it. The Phoenix programs are generaly held in high regard in Winnipeg, including by myself, so I'll guess it's better for some of the lads in the long run to move on).

Haven't seen any adverts yet for the game anywhere but people keep mentioning it to me so word must be getting out.

I am glad to hear that this game is getting good word of mouth. I have watched more of the outdoor game then indoor so, I am not totally familiar with the indoor game in some aspects. I really look forward to this game though. However that damn turf looks so ugly that has been used. And as well, what about those goals, they look so short and stubby. It will be hard to tell if a goal goes in because their is hardly any distance from the crease to the back of the net.

I have bought my ticket and will be at the phone booth on April 1st.

MTS Centre is pretty versatile so maybe the goals will be more traditional. Allow for the "austhetic drama" of bulging the ol' twine when a goal is scored.

Funny, but just picked the Wee Elf up from work and heard for the 1st time the match advertised on 92.9 Kick FM, the local Red River College radio station.

I just read in today's Winnipeg Free Press that the Winnipeg Alliance FC just signed Wolde Harris, the ex New England Revolution, Colorado Rapids striker to play for them for the two showcase games. Good stuff. I have heard of the guy. Pretty decent player from what I saw from him when he played in MLS a few years back.

Free Press article on Harris:

Local soccer luminary arrives

Club's star striker eager to get kicking

Wed Mar 21 2007

By Allan Besson

THE Winnipeg Alliance FC's marquee player arrived in town Tuesday ready to do business.

Wolde Harris, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound striker, is the guy head coaches Chic Devenney and Walt McKee are hanging their hopes for success on as the newly formed Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League team kicks off the first of its showcase games Friday in Saskatoon against the Excelerators.

"We want goals from him," said Devenney over lunch. "We want some leadership on the field and we expect him to set up opportunities."

Harris, who has graced the lineups of MLS teams such as the Colorado Rapids and New England Revolution, as well as Stokes City in the English First Division, Bodens SK of the Swedish League and Club Deportivo FAS in the Salvadoran League, embraces his role here.

"I don't have a problem being a leader," said the 33-year-old native of Kingston, Jamaica. "To be a leader, it takes a little experience, a person who cares about the sport, cares about what they are doing and cares about people all at the same time."

Harris gets his first look at his teammates (all local players) selected from the MCA Premiere leagues, at a full workout Wednesday, but he admits he really can't comment on how he will have to adjust his game.

"I will just go in with an open mind and share the experiences I have playing the game and pass on the knowledge I have where need be to be successful and win."

Admittedly, he has only played pickup indoor soccer, but while in Colorado, the team trained indoors during the winter months.

"The CMISL is obviously very new to me but the ball is still round and there's still goals to score," he said. "I'm looking forward to the new dynamics of the game and representing both the league and the club well, putting on good showing and having some fun."

Local fans won't see Harris and the Alliance live until April 1 when Edmonton comes here to play their final showcase game, 2 p.m. at the MTS Centre.

ALLIANCE FC ACQUIRE VETERAN INDOOR PLAYER

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 21, 2007

Winnipeg, MB – The Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League’s Winnipeg Alliance FC is pleased to announce the acquisition of former National Professional Soccer League and Major Indoor Soccer League stalwart and Canadian national teamer Sipho Sibiya.

The five-foot-10, 175-pound midfielder is a veteran of 11 indoor seasons and brings a combined 13 years of professional experience to the Alliance FC lineup.

“I’m excited for the opportunity to help launch the team in Winnipeg and I’m looking forward to meeting the fans,” Sibiya said. “I’m equally thrilled for the city of Winnipeg and the province of Manitoba.

“As a soccer player, I have a deep appreciation for the CMISL owners. Without them opportunities likes this would not exist in Canada. They are very committed to growing the game of soccer in Canada.”

The 36-year-old was both a player and assistant coach of Canada’s national team which competed at the 2006 FIFA Beach World Cup. Sibiya also played on and served as an assistant coach with Canada’s national futsal side in 2005.

Sibiya’s professional career began outdoors with the A-League Vancouver 86ers in 1994. At the conclusion of the ‘94 season Sibiya was voted the side’s top rookie. His decade-long A-League career would later include stints with clubs in Montreal, Milwaukee and Edmonton.

In 1996 Sibiya signed with the NPSL Edmonton Drillers. Sibiya joined the Milwaukee Wave in 2000 where he played two seasons before wrapping up his indoor career with stops in St. Louis, Cleveland and Baltimore.

Sibiya assumed his current role as technical coach of the Prince George (B.C.) Youth Soccer Association in November of 2006.

Alliance FC co-coach Chic Devenney maintains Sibiya’s wealth of indoor experience at the professional level coupled with his coaching background will benefit the Winnipeg side immeasurably.

“Sipho brings a wide array of talents and abilities to the team,” Devenney said. “He has played professionally for as long as some of our young players have been walking. His experience with the Vancouver 86ers, Montreal Impact, Milwaukee Wave and St. Louis Steamers demonstrates the wide breadth of his existence inside the game.

“His leadership qualities and calming influence on the players around him make him an ideal fit for our young group. Inside the dressing room, the calmness and insight that he brings qualify him as being influential on and off the field.

“The knowledge that he unselfishly shares with others will be invaluable as we try to remove the nervous energy and apprehension from the young players about playing in front of thousands of fans, family and the media.”

Additional Information

J. William (Bill) Hogan

Marketing, Communication and Media

Winnipeg Alliance

Archived