Jump to content

DeRo in Interview Process


Recommended Posts

Did anyone see Extra Time on GOLTV Friday? They had a phone interview with DeRo and the CSA actually had him in the interview process?? Is that right?? Should he be sitting in giving the players opinion? He said he felt awkward sitting there with Simoes, Mitchell and Hart. They mentioned maybe a past player should have been there to give a players perspective, but not a current one.

Thoughts????

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canadian Soccer Association asked Dwayne to sit in the interview process in their current search for men's national team head coach....Dwyane openly talked about Simoes. I would say it's a pretty big conflict of interest. They talked about Holger and what happened there with the players, but in the end Paul James said players should take care of their own knitting and not have an open say on who their coach is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

The Canadian Soccer Association asked Dwayne to sit in the interview process in their current search for men's national team head coach....Dwyane openly talked about Simoes. I would say it's a pretty big conflict of interest. They talked about Holger and what happened there with the players, but in the end Paul James said players should take care of their own knitting and not have an open say on who their coach is.

Yeah, I caught Paul James saying that yesterday but I didn't know why he talking about Holger...Now I know and he's totally right about it. I've never heard of a player interviewing a coach before, that's just unbelievable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with Dwayne (any player) being there, even if they are asking questions. He would not have a vote in the selection, but even if he had, is ok. Management (the board) is more interested in observing the interaction between player and coach rather than a technical discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, saw the interview with Dwayne and also found it strange that the CSA has

a player as part of the decision-making process.

But maybe it can be a refreshing change for the CSA. By doing so, the CSA cannot be

blamed about the final selection, especially if such successfully translates itself on the field.

Who knows, it may be exactly what everyone is clamoring for:

a foreign coach, with a track record and pedigree, gets respect from all players,

and plays no favourites currently. And since we're at #103, well hopefully this

approach helps us move up quickly in the rankings, onto our WCQ goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Except that you're putting a player, choosen by God knows who, in a possition of influence (if not authority) during the selection process.

A player (not picking on DDR, I'm saying any player) who may or may not cut the mustard in the new managers program.

Not fair to the candidate, although he may read a lot about how his future job is going to be with the CSA from it, and certainly not fair to DDR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with Dwayne (any player) being there, even if they are asking questions. He would not have a vote in the selection, but even if he had, is ok. Management (the board) is more interested in observing the interaction between player and coach rather than a technical discussion.

We are not talking about a fraternity or a country club here. This is an organization with objectives and goals. For it to work, you need acountabilities. Players are responsible for playing the game, coaches are responsible for coaching the players, administrators are responsible for administering and appointing coaches who will coach the players.

Its one thing to ask a players their opinion on someone, but its whole other matter to encorporate them in the selection process. that's backwards & disfunctional if you ask me. Have you ever heard students being included in the hiring process for teachers? Have you ever been called into an interview to question someone who will be your boss. Great! Hire the boss who will let me come in late all the time and allow me to slack off.

This along with Linfords comments in the media ( ottawa paper) on fifa a few weeks back, gives me greater concern than ever about the recent direction of the CSA. Proof that, sometimes, change for teh sake of change doesn't mean that things will get better. They could get worst. Once again, I am at odds with the people who usually always bash the CSA. Trust me its not intentional nor personal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Except that you're putting a player, choosen by God knows who, in a possition of influence (if not authority) during the selection process.

A player (not picking on DDR, I'm saying any player) who may or may not cut the mustard in the new managers program.

Not fair to the candidate, although he may read a lot about how his future job is going to be with the CSA from it, and certainly not fair to DDR.

Exactly!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely an unorthodox for the CSA to have a player involved in the hiring of the new coach but it's not like the old way of choosing a head coach has been all that successful in the past for the CSA.

In the business world, it's not as uncommon as you might think for "employees" to be involved in the hiring of a new boss, especially in environments where the coroporate culture is unique/strong. The hiring of the right coach for the MNT is an absolute must this time. We can't afford another Yallop debacle.

In this case, the decision to involve DeRo might have something to do with the CSA believing that they must make every effort to qualify for the next world cup with the group of players they have now and want to choose a coach that they can be sure will be acceptable to the current core group of players. If they were looking to rebuild, they might not care what DeRo and the other vets on the team think about the new man in charge.

One question...if DeRo was uncomfortable with being involved, why did he agree to it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

It's definitely an unorthodox for the CSA to have a player involved in the hiring of the new coach but it's not like the old way of choosing a head coach has been all that successful in the past for the CSA.

In the business world, it's not as uncommon as you might think for "employees" to be involved in the hiring of a new boss, especially in environments where the coroporate culture is unique/strong. The hiring of the right coach for the MNT is an absolute must this time. We can't afford another Yallop debacle.

In this case, the decision to involve DeRo might have something to do with the CSA believing that they must make every effort to qualify for the next world cup with the group of players they have now and want to choose a coach that they can be sure will be acceptable to the current core group of players. If they were looking to rebuild, they might not care what DeRo and the other vets on the team think about the new man in charge.

One question...if DeRo was uncomfortable with being involved, why did he agree to it?

two words Keenan & Bowman. There aren't too many players who would like to have Scotty Bowman or Mike keenan as their coach. Except, as Steve Schutt once said, on the day when they collect their championship rings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

two words Keenan & Bowman. There aren't too many players who would like to have Scotty Bowman or Mike keenan as their coach. Except, as Steve Schutt once said, on the day when they collect their championship rings.

Keenan's record of 1 Stanley Cup in over 20 years of coaching is nothing to get excited about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Didn't he win one in Pit and Det. Aside from his stint in Buf, I think that he has won a cup or reached the finals with every team he has coached.

Stl: Finals in 69-70

Mon: 4 cups

Buf: No finals and no cups

Pit: 1 cup

Det: 1 cup at least.

Those are Bowman's stats. Keenan won one cup, with the Rangers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Keenan).

Your point is well made, that a player in the interview process might discourage the hiring of a hard-nose type coach. Still, we had our hard-ass (Holger) and while he was more successful than his predecessor and his successor, he didn't take us where we needed to go, and alienated some players in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But Bowman ran out of fingers to wear them on. (Don't like comparing club coaches to NT coaches. Apples and oranges as far as I'm concearned but I get the idea being driven at).

We're sort of flying blind here a little. If DDR or any "player rep" was present during a candidates initial in-person presentation, I'm actually okay with that. If however he was present during a more involved follow up interview I can't accept that as being a wise practive. Not by a long shot.

And last time I checked, Big Kev McKenna was the NT captain, not DDR. Although he may have been the practicle choice not being in mid season and overseas and all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a huge conflict of interest. How would the coaches feel going through the interview process with a current player sitting there. Player, "What are you going to do as coach for Canada???" Coach.."None of your f'in business...if you work a little harder I might select you to MY team." The last time I checked a coach never had to answer to a player...a player is just a player......get technical, qualified people to ask those questions or if not, a retired Canadian International that at least understands the landscape and what the current players deal with day in and day out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't have a problem with a player sitting in on the interview as long as it is in a passive role, ie. he is not asking questions and other than giving some player perspective is not involved in the decision (he does not have a vote in the decision). For one thing we have criticized the secrecy and backroom style of the CSA for so long so this opens a lot more transparency into the decision. I don't see what sense the suggestion makes of having a former player involved, if you decide to have player influence then take a prominent current player. DeRo wouldn't have been my first choice but the Europe-based players were probably unavailable.

What disturbs me more is the short list of Simoes, Mitchell and Hart is extremely weak (what happened to the fourth guy?). It seems like they did not have many interesting candidates apply. Even though it is hopefully a purely political gesture I don't like the fact that Hart is still in the running. With his lack of qualifications/experience and less than impressive interim tenure I would think he would be an easy and obvious cut in the first elimination round. The CSA should have enough balls to tell candidates they are currently not qualified to take such a high-level position. I would favour Simoes as the best candidate but he is not that far above Mitchell. Too bad there isn't more choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I also don't have a problem with a player sitting in on the interview as long as it is in a passive role, ie. he is not asking questions and other than giving some player perspective is not involved in the decision (he does not have a vote in the decision). I don't see what sense the suggestion makes of having a former player involved, if you decide to have player influence then take a prominent current player. DeRo wouldn't have been my first choice but the Europe-based players were probably unavailable.

Let's not forget how critical DeRo was in his opinion of Stephen Hart. I have no problem with the fact he was critical in his statements when he was named interim Manager, but it does cause concerns when DeRo or any current player for that matter is playing a role in hiring a manager. A recent former player (if that makes sense) at least has a very clear picture of the Canadian soccer landscape and will be looking out for Canada's best interests as a soccer nation....not looking out for his or her best interests. One might hope that would not be the case, but you never know how someone is going to react when in that position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Those are Bowman's stats. Keenan won one cup, with the Rangers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Keenan).

Your point is well made, that a player in the interview process might discourage the hiring of a hard-nose type coach. Still, we had our hard-ass (Holger) and while he was more successful than his predecessor and his successor, he didn't take us where we needed to go, and alienated some players in the process.

I only realized later that you were referred to Keenan. I deleted my post. But unfortunately you responded b4 I deleted it .

Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of having a current player is to give the players some insight into the hiring process and make them feel that management respects their opinion. Using a former player does not do this at all. If there are former players that would be good at determining the new coach then the CSA should hire them by all means but this makes them part of management not one of the players.

I remember DeRo saying that his preferrence would be if an established European coach was hired but I can't recall him saying anything negative about Hart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Let's not forget how critical DeRo was in his opinion of Stephen Hart. I have no problem with the fact he was critical in his statements when he was named interim Manager, but it does cause concerns when DeRo or any current player for that matter is playing a role in hiring a manager. A recent former player (if that makes sense) at least has a very clear picture of the Canadian soccer landscape and will be looking out for Canada's best interests as a soccer nation....not looking out for his or her best interests. One might hope that would not be the case, but you never know how someone is going to react when in that position.

Further to what Grizzly said, imagine if the former player they chose was someone like Mark Watson or Carlo Corrazin. Would there not be cries of the Old-Boys Network all over again? Wouldn't that entirely defeat the purpose?

Also, if you check out the Grassrootsnorth.ca interview with DDR, he doesn't seem to be as critical of Hart as you make out:

quote:While this is De Rosario's first time playing under Stephen Hart, he says that the players enjoy playing under the interim coach because he has a plan and wants to teach and develop players.

"I think [stephen Hart] learned from Frank and vice versa, and I think Stephen wants to carry on that same thing that Frank tried to do and I think the players are responding to him quite well."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...