GC: Haiti, Guadeloupe, Costa Rica

Instead of posting under 'Gold Cup Draw', I figured it's now time to focus on our group oppostion.

Here is the upcoming exhibition matches for our competition:

Haiti vs Panama March 24

Costa Rica vs New Zealand March 24

Guadeloupe vs T&T March 24

Chile vs Costa Rica March 28

Costa Rica vs Chile June 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Costa Rica has done some work to get three quality friendlies. I like our preparation at this point. We've got Barbados, a rumour of Argentina, and then maybe two pre-tournament exhibition matches, and I think we'll do ok.

As long as we can have a coach in place. I'll be very disappointed if that coach is not permanent, but at least it will give the players some peace of mind knowing that Hart is carrying through the tournament, rather than waiting and waiting for a replacement. That being said, I will lose a lot of faith in the CSA(have I even got any faith to lose?) after they said a new coach by the end of the year, and then by the end of March......... still waiting.

First we're playing Bermuda not Barbados.

Second, when the CSA said we would have a coach by the end of 2006 that was prior to Pipe firing. Since then Linford has always said that it would be by the month of March.

Third, I also like the fact that we're trying to get a game against Argentina, it gives you an idea that the CSA is trying to get our MNT more games. Maybe it will not work in the end but at least we can see that they are doing what they said they would do.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

The team has had only 3 games in the last year, with a 4th at last coming up, which is kind of a joke.

Yes it's embarassing, at all levels. But that's not surprising considering the budget was directed to the U20s' prep, as well as

not having a true (rather than interim) coach for the MNT.

Let's choose a coach, and direct our efforts to preparing for the

WCQ, if not becoming successful at the Gold Cup. The CSA is out of excuses.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Yes it's embarassing, at all levels. But that's not surprising considering the budget was directed to the U20s' prep, as well as

not having a true (rather than interim) coach for the MNT.

Let's choose a coach, and direct our efforts to preparing for the

WCQ, if not becoming successful at the Gold Cup. The CSA is out of excuses.

Definitely hope they decide on a secure coach soon, once they do that things should start falling into place.

Posted by Haitian fan Toussiant at the Soca site. This is probably the best report we will ever get on the Haitians:

Haiti looking like a threat for the Gold Cup.

Our current team is stronger than the one that was in TnT. Two new Haitian-Dutch players Tim Velten and Lesly Fellinga have joined the team and we expect still U-20 Sony Norde from Argentina to become our Robinho in the next GC. The competition for a spot in the national team is becoming very tight. Former Canadian international Belotte has unsuccesfully tried to get in the team. Even Eliphene Cadet who scored again today may not be able to secure his ticket for the GC if Peguero returns to the NT. Haiti's version of Latapy, Tiga, did come in today. But, he will have to work harder to secure a permanent spot in the team.

Posted by Haitian fan Toussiant at the Soca site. This is probably the best report we will ever get on the Haitians:

Haiti looking like a threat for the Gold Cup.

Our current team is stronger than the one that was in TnT. Two new Haitian-Dutch players Tim Velten and Lesly Fellinga have joined the team and we expect still U-20 Sony Norde from Argentina to become our Robinho in the next GC. The competition for a spot in the national team is becoming very tight. Former Canadian international Belotte has unsuccesfully tried to get in the team. Even Eliphene Cadet who scored again today may not be able to secure his ticket for the GC if Peguero returns to the NT. Haiti's version of Latapy, Tiga, did come in today. But, he will have to work harder to secure a permanent spot in the team.

Guest Can. in UK

Does the CSA scout these games or do they watch videos after the fact?

I think these results prove it isn't going to be easy for Canada at the GC.

March 29

Chile 1- 1 Costa Rica

USA U-20 2-1 Haiti

Haiti's team was largely made of U-23 and a few senior reserve players.

The Haitian senior team is in a dispute with it's federation over money, so the senior team did not dress. Rumour has it that the senior team may boycott the next game as well.

There are no easy teams in the Gold Cup. On any day, a talented team can lose.

For instance in 2003, Canada beat Costa Rica 1-0 but lost to Cuba 0-2. In the

latter game, Hume just couldn't convert. In 2005, a phantom call led to a Tico PK

with us on the losing end again, 0-1. And that squad was pretty our "B-" team, yet

I found the Ticos to be very poor that day, and fortunate to get the win. And I won't

even mention how we almost upset the U.S., until we were down to 10 men and Donovan

got away with a red card foul on Gervais.

Excuses aside, for us to be taken seriously, we need better preparation in quantity

and quality. I'm sure we can take Haiti, but on any day you just never know.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

You mean that slap on the face of Braz?

Yep that was the one. (Sorry, picked the wrong Impact.)

Donovan should have gotten a red, had our player learned how to

dive, err, "exaggerate" the foul. The result could have been

different if they were down to 10 men.

Oh well ... coulda, shoulda, woulda. Don't forget Hume got injured

before the match as well as McKenna on the bench due to red card

in the previous game.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

17/04/07

El Salvador 0 - 1 Haiti

Haiti is on a roll. 6 wins in 7 matches.

"French-born Haitian scored the winning goal in his first international match with the Haitian national team. "

Haiti are taking their football very serious these days and looking to Europe for anyone with Haitian connections. They are beggining to establish some real depth.

Man!!!

Haiti really is on a roll...

I am praying for devine help, that Canada beings their Gold Cup preparation ASAP.

Given the cirumcustances, Haiti right now is better than Canada, and they way that they are preparing, they will beat Canada at the GC and it will be humiliation for Canadian soccer.

According to new FIFA Rankings: Haiti (86), Canada (94)

The way things are going I am almost willing to predict:

CAN vs Guadalupe (WIN/TIE)

CAN vs Haiti (LOSS)

CAN vs Costa Rrica (LOSS)

CAN eliminated in 1st round...

What can we expect from Canadian soccer at this point?