Canada vs. Argentina friendly in the works?

Gian-Luca

hmmm, interesting. But I would be very surprise if this happen.

BTW, Argentina next friendly is june 2 in Switzerland, so it's possible and maybe they're thinking that a friendly against us would prepare them for their Copa America first game against the USA....

There is also a reference in the article to playing between 16 & 20th of April, which would be more realistic. My guess is that Argentina may be trying to see if Canada can fly their players down from Bermuda to Argentina after the game on the 25th, & if not try for April.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If I'm reading this right, it refers to the 28th of March. If there were a friendly set up for that date, would we have not known about it by now?

That's the way I read it too with my nonexistant spanish. I was looking at the CSA and the newpaper announcements about the Bermuda camp. They say the camp starts this weekend, they mention the game against Bermuda on the 25th, but they don't say when the camp ends. I can't see Canada playing Argentina in Bermuda, it's still too cold at home (except B.C. which is too far away). If they get this it will likely be in London or somewhere else in europe. On the other hand this could be the Argentine sporting equivilant of the National Enquirer. One would hope that this was the selling point to get these players (the strong squad) to show up, a big name match.

You would think that the CSA would want to have the new coach in place before setting up any high profile matches. It seems odd to have a match against the number one ranked club in the world and have an inteim head coach. Either the CSA is more screwed up than we thought or the match isn't going to take place.

quote:Originally posted by ken

You would think that the CSA would want to have the new coach in place before setting up any high profile matches.

Yeah....but if Argentina comes calling for a match to be played in Argentina, are we really going to say no?

This article also seems to be about the fact that the Argentine coach called 21 players to a camp and only 11 showed up, and 2 were injured. All the players were domestic players and many did not show due to Copa Libertadores commitments. I also get the impression that these might be all young players vying for a spot on the (all domestic) national team they will use for the Copa America.

The AFA website also has a similar article, with no mention of a friendly versus Canada. If they did want to play on the 28th, it would likely be in Argentina and be super last minute. I don't think it's gonna happen.

AFA artilce (spanish)

Canada v. Argentina was set and ready to go. The problem was that the date conflicted with the Argentinean Cup, so only 14 of 21 players are available on that date. The Arg coach refuses to call up new players to their team. SO... The Arg coach has asked to back out of the March 28 match with Canada.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/03/14/deportes/d-05703.htm

"El rival será Canadá, que se encuentra 87º del ranking de la FIFA (14 puestos por delante de Bolivia, el peor de la Conmebol). Los Canucks, que participaron del Mundial de México en 1986, disputaron cinco partidos en 2006: dos victorias (2-0 a Austria, en Viena; y 1-0 a Jamaica, en Montreal), un empate (0-0 contra Estados Unidos, en San Diego) y dos derrotas (1-2 frente a Jamaica, en Kingston; y 0-1 ante Hungría, en Szekesfehervar). En 2001, tras ganar la Copa de Oro de la Concacaf el año anterior, participaron de la Copa de Confederaciones e igualaron con Brasil (0-0, en Ibaraki)."

Amazing, simply AMAZING news. Canada WILL be playing Argentina in Argentina on Apr 18 if the March 28 game is postponed.

UBELIEVABLE. The CSA actually did something good.

And by the way, this would be a team made up of Agentinean domestic players. Many up and comers looking for spots on the the Copa America Team. A couple vets like Veron and Palermo will also be there.

First of all a game against Argentina would be great for Canada.

Just speculating here... If there are any truths to this rumour then it could be possible that this game is influenced and timed for the introduction of the new coach. South American... Rene Simoes perhaps??

I just finished talking to a member of the CSA and he assured me that a friendly on March 28 against anybody is 99.9% unlikely to happen. And he also informed me that he is unaware of any other friendlies taking place besides the ones against Bermuda and Iceland and that a more realistic date for a new friendly would be in September. Though he added that it's not out of the realm of possibility to schedule a friendly before then.

Guest Jeffery S.

There is no Fifa date in April or May. The advantage though, is that Argentina would pay our expenses, a real plus. The other thing the article says is that they would play in the interior, meaning not in the capital. That would mean a bit more travel for us, while they would be drawing from those playing in Argentina mostly.

Obviously Canada would want it's best team for this match. Considering the Euro season is coming to a close, I believe we could put together a solid squad for this match, even without a couple of key players (ie, those fighting for promotion or demotion).

Would Canada have it's new coach in place for this match ? It would be unbelievable to play such a high profile match without our new coach, especially considering the looming Gold Cup.

It would be nice to get a high profile game like this, but are these the opponents we should be playing? If you ask me, we are setting ourselves up for a thrashing.

Then again, that's what we said vs Spain too. I can't decide.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

It would be nice to get a high profile game like this, but are these the opponents we should be playing? If you ask me, we are setting ourselves up for a thrashing.

Then again, that's what we said vs Spain too. I can't decide.

If the Argentina Federation is inviting us for a game, we can't refuse, we need games. Of course, it's not the kind of game we really need but look at our opponents since 2006: Austria, Jamaica (2), Hungary, Bermuda, Guadeloupe, CR, Haiti, Iceland and Argentina.

The only world power is Argentina, so nothing wrong with playing a big team once in a while, it's always a nice experience for our players.

I don't know why but a blast of optimism just hit me there.

Thinking that the CSA may actually be trying to fill some more of the international friendly dates with games is mind blowing.

Are they actually of the belief that more games played can actually help the MNT to play better together and improve performances?

Such a novel idea. It may just be crazy enough to work.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

I don't know why but a blast of optimism just hit me there.

Thinking that the CSA may actually be trying to fill some more of the international friendly dates with games is mind blowing.

Are they actually of the belief that more games played can actually help the MNT to play better together and improve performances?

Such a novel idea. It may just be crazy enough to work.

I think we shouldn't be surprise to see the CSA trying to get us more games since Linford said it on the day he fired Kevan Pipe. The mistake a lot of Voyageurs made is to assume that would see an instant change. Now, knowing that the CSA is trying to get us another game and are talking with Rene Simoes I think I can see some positive and a certain change in the culture of the CSA.

Archived