Gold Cup now purely Concacaf

The Ref

It has been reported that there will be no more invited countries from outside the Concacaf to participate in the Gold Cup. Bold move since invited teams had been coming since 1993. I hope the competition can stand in its own feet and draw respectable crowds. It is good development for the region. Perhaps we will see somebody else winning besides Mexico the U.S. and us.

Eliminating the guest teams would make the event appear more legitimate to some hard core soccer fans. But will it make it a more popular event amongst the others? thats the big question. In other words is it more important to gain fans or become more legitamate? What about quality of play, is the quality of play better with St Vincent and barbadoes or with Brazil or S Korea, or Columbia?

I dont know. But I can make arguments on either side of argument for and against the guest teams. Maybe the best compromise might be to keep it as only Concacaf but with only 10 teams in the final phase ( ie.: two groups of 5 in a round robin)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Eliminating the guest teams would make the event appear more legitimate to some hard core soccer fans. But will it make it a more popular event amongst the others? thats the big question. In other words is it more important to gain fans or become more legitamate? What about quality of play, is the quality of play better with St Vincent and barbadoes or with Brazil or S Korea, or Columbia?

I dont know. But I can make arguments on either side of argument for and against the guest teams. Maybe the best compromise might be to keep it as only Concacaf but with only 10 teams in the final phase ( ie.: two groups of 5 in a round robin)

Well, if they stop hosting the tournament in the USA and give a chance to other CONCACAF countries I think an only CONCACAF teams tournament would draw well in Central America or the Caribbean. Of course we would need 2 or 3 countries hosting it, but that would be nice for CONCACAF soccer.

I've always thought that this tournament should be held elsewhere. I'd like to see Canada host it. I think Mexico could easily host it. And I'm sure there are many of the Carribean countries that have facilities that are capable of hosting. What IS the benefit of having in the USA every year?

I think rotating the hosting is the next logical step in trying to improve the tourney. Us or Mexico is more than capable of hosting. I dont even see why countries in the Carribean or Central America could'nt host either. Some of these boys would probably have to co-host, but thats no problem really.

Ex. A joint Jamaican/ T and T event..

Guest speedmonk42

How does guest teams make hurt the tournament?

After all we were invited to the SA Cup, and both Mexico and the US are in it this year.

If it provides more exposure and a different angle to the cup, why not.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

How does guest teams make hurt the tournament?

After all we were invited to the SA Cup, and both Mexico and the US are in it this year.

If it provides more exposure and a different angle to the cup, why not.

i agree....guest teams add some spice to the tournament. As long as the number of guest teams doesn't exceed 2, I am ok with it.

Archived