Jump to content

"Extra Time" on GOLTV reports Simoes MNT coach


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a South American like Simoes (although I chose Lavolpe). The selection of Simoes worries me though. Does he not have a reputation for being somewhat eccentric? I worry that our players would not take him seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a South American like Simoes (although I chose Lavolpe). The selection of Simoes worries me though. Does he not have a reputation for being somewhat eccentric? I worry that our players would not take him seriously.

He did get Jamaica into the 1998 World Cup, though that was more due to him discovering a whole bunch of English players that had not been capped by England who had Jamaican parents or grand-parents, rather than brilliant coaching, IMO.

Canada with a South American coach would be interesting.......definitely a first. With most of the players we use not having a South (or Latin) American background it would likely be quite an adjustment for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Renê Simões

Personal information

Full name Renê Rodrigues Simões

Date of birth December 17, 1952 (age 54)

Place of birth Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Playing position Manager

Club information

Brazil U20

Al-Rayyan SC

Jamaica

Trinidad and Tobago

Honduras

Brazil Women

Vitória F.C.

Iran U23

* Appearances (Goals)

Renê Rodrigues Simões (born on December 17, 1952 in Rio de Janeiro) is a Brazilian football coach and manager, and former footballer. He lead Jamaica national football team for the first and only to date time, to 1998 FIFA World Cup in France. This accomplishment made Jamaica the first English speaking Caribbean country to qualify for the World Cup. In 2004 Summer Olympics, he got the Gold Medal with the Brazil women's national football team.He has also previously coached the Trinidad and Tobago football team. In 2006 he was the Head Coach and manager of Iran national under-23 football team.

Honours

1988 South American Youth Championship with Brazil national under-20 football team

1990 Qatari League with Al-Rayyan Sports Club

1990 Sheikh Jasim Cup with Al-Rayyan Sports Club

2004 Athens Olympics Gold Medal with Brazil women's national football team

2004/5 Cup of Portugal with Vitória F.C.

2006 Asian Games Bronze medal with Iran national under-23 football team

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to get GolTV.

Wow. A coach with WC experience. Not sure I know quite what to make of this. That is to say if it's true.

In the other MNT coach topic Gordon raised a suspision I've been nursing for quite a while (ie Hart carrying on until after the WYC then being replaced with Mitchel) but hadn't totaly bought into yet.

Well, now this stirs things up a wee bit doesn't it? At the very least it'll get some press coverage outside of the usual footie suspects.

Hope Simoes has an idea of what he's getting into otherwise this could be a real short tenure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet...i was half joking, if we pull this off we get a fantastic Technical Director as well. It'll have to be a Holger type agreement, money and control wise. If i remember correctly he spearheaded a number of changes in the Jamaican infrastructure including solidifying a pro/semi-pro league, placing more emphasis on youth development, coaching development etc. He's also a pretty good coach. He did make a statement as coach of Jamaice that soccer was heading towards black dominance because they were better athletes.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11428

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

He did get Jamaica into the 1998 World Cup, though that was more due to him discovering a whole bunch of English players that had not been capped by England who had Jamaican parents or grand-parents, rather than brilliant coaching, IMO.

Canada with a South American coach would be interesting.......definitely a first. With most of the players we use not having a South (or Latin) American background it would likely be quite an adjustment for them.

I could make a whole slew of points here as to why I think this statement is ridiculous, instead I will just ask your reasoning behind this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Rumour. I don't know if Simoes applied but if he did, there were at least two high profile Brazilian Coaches who applied.

Below is an exerpt of an interview that Simoes gave in January from Goal.com:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=216534

Are you in the market to find a new coaching assignment in Brazil or elsewhere?

No. My time is for my family. I spend it with my daughter. FIFA has invited me to attend a panel on women’s football in Zurich on February 3rd. It is a three-day event. (Note: Simoes led Brazil women’s football team to the second place finish of the 2004 Olympics.)

I was invited by a team in Greece to coach for them but I gave the same answer as I have to the Iranian federation.

Are you still pursued by the Iranian football authorities?

Very much so. My contract expired on 31st December 2006. I spoke to Mr. Kafashian (the head of Iranian Olympics committee) just recently. Even the Iranian Football Federation (IFF) has contacted me.

Just this past week, a member of the “Committee of Six” that was appointed by FIFA to monitor changes to IFF process and its constitution called me. They want me to go back and lead the team for the Olympic qualifier campaign. I simply can’t go back. I am honoured that Iran’s Olympic Committee and IFF would want me to return.

A coach has to have 100% commitment with his time and leadership. Until my daughter’s condition improves, I can’t provide such commitment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by villus

I could make a whole slew of points here as to why I think this statement is ridiculous, instead I will just ask your reasoning behind this?

My reasoning is what it says - generally our players aren't used to playing for South American coaches & the playing style that typically goes with it - they tend to be familiar with various European playing styles & coaches, or North American. Just look at where our players play & who they play for. I suppose it is possible that Simoes doesn't bring any sort of South American coaching style with him & there won't be any sort of adjustment at all for the players, but that's why I used the word "likely", rather than "certainly".

Now perhaps I can put the shoe on the other foot & ask you why you feel the suggestion that most of our players will have to get used to playing not just for a new coach but seemingly a different type of coach then they have ever played for is a "ridiculous statement"?

I'm all ears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My reasoning is what it says - generally our players aren't used to playing for South American coaches & the playing style that typically goes with it - they tend to be familiar with various European playing styles & coaches, or North American. Just look at where our players play & who they play for. I suppose it is possible that Simoes doesn't bring any sort of South American coaching style with him & there won't be any sort of adjustment at all for the players, but that's why I used the word "likely", rather than "certainly".

Now perhaps I can put the shoe on the other foot & ask you why you feel the suggestion that most of our players will have to get used to playing not just for a new coach but seemingly a different type of coach then they have ever played for is a "ridiculous statement"?

I'm all ears.

This guy has coached numerous teams in concacaf and our players are concacaf players, so I dont see the big stretch in styles. Most coaches play to the strength of their teams, I don't think this guy is going to think he will be coaching the Brazilian national team. Do you think there is some huge difference between a South American coach and a european one?

In your original post you did not even mention playing style once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Can. in UK

I just heard from a source close to the CSA (sorry!) that Dale Mitchell, Stephen Hart and one Brazilian (I would assume Simoes) coach had definitely applied for the job but no decision had been made yet.

It was his opinion that they would not choose "the Brazilian" as he was "nuts". Essentially he thinks the MNT is "screwed".

Does anyone know how Simoes previous roles came to an end? Is he the type of coach to alienate players? Is he "nuts"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If only one Brazilian coach applied, it was not Simoes.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I just heard from a source close to the CSA (sorry!) that Dale Mitchell, Stephen Hart and one Brazilian (I would assume Simoes) coach had definitely applied for the job but no decision had been made yet.

It was his opinion that they would not choose "the Brazilian" as he was "nuts". Essentially he thinks the MNT is "screwed".

Does anyone know how Simoes previous roles came to an end? Is he the type of coach to alienate players? Is he "nuts"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If only one Brazilian coach applied, it was not Simoes.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

I just heard from a source close to the CSA (sorry!) that Dale Mitchell, Stephen Hart and one Brazilian (I would assume Simoes) coach had definitely applied for the job but no decision had been made yet.

It was his opinion that they would not choose "the Brazilian" as he was "nuts". Essentially he thinks the MNT is "screwed".

Does anyone know how Simoes previous roles came to an end? Is he the type of coach to alienate players? Is he "nuts"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

If only one Brazilian coach applied, it was not Simoes.

Sorry - I should clarify... Currently, the candidates were down to Hart, Mitchell & a Brazilian... I didn't mean that they were the only to apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

If only one Brazilian coach applied, it was not Simoes.

Sorry - I should clarify... Currently, the candidates were down to Hart, Mitchell & a Brazilian... I didn't mean that they were the only to apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by villus

This guy has coached numerous teams in concacaf and our players are concacaf players, so I dont see the big stretch in styles.

There I disagree - I see a big difference between the way we have played & the way the likes of Jamaica & T&T (the teams he has coached) & the way we have played (theirs approximating a Brazilian style much more than ours IMO). That's why I see a period of adjustment. I do agree that coaches play to the strengths of the players they have available, although in the case of national teams when there isn't a fixed roster but a pool of players to choose from, coaches often go for what they are most comfortable with, choosing players which better fit the playing style they like to see. We'll have to see what Simoes does.

quote:

In your original post you did not even mention playing style once.

Fair enough, in retrospect I see that I didn't. I had thought it was fairly obvious that I was referring to that when I mentioned the that he was the first South American coach most of these players would play for, but apparently it wasn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Simoes is a huge jesus lover...and as i mentioned above he made the black is better statement. so he might be nuts for all i know...

Yes, my "contact" mentioned something about pre-game prayer sessions.

With Jesus on our side, nothing can stop us! Perhaps the CSA know what they are doing after all!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If thinking that the CSA is messed up means that you are "nuts", I suspect that many on this board would be judged as being "nuts" too. I would be equally concerned about hiring someone who thought everything was wonderful with the CSA because then nothing would change. I hope criteria for selection goes beyond how many nice things are said about the CSA.

As for coaching style, I don't think there is a uniform coaching style in South America as is the case in Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...