New Coach Prediction Thread

Grizzly

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I boldly predict they will end up keeping Hart. That is still not their intention at this point, but I predict the team will gell enough with him, and the suitable replacement will get harder and harder to find, and they will just stick with him throught the World Cup qualifiers anyway, and if Canada qualifies, through the 2010 World Cup as well.

If they in fact have not chosen a coach yet, and that interviews are ongoing then I find that very disappointing. If this is true, then the CSA is failing in terms of doing what it set out to do, namely making hiring a new coach a priority.

Yeah, I don't know about that articule. Thought it was just good politic. Weak cover to respond to the GolTV bit. I don't know about these things but I'd guess that if we are to get a final name and face by the end of the month that the CSA's choice would have had to have been made by now and all the usual back and forthing between the parties would be in full swing. Especially if the selected candidate lives overseas.

If Linford isn't just blowing a smoke screen and the issue isn't decided it doesn't realy leave a lot of time for negotiations, get-to-know-you tours of Canada and so on.

And you want to have all the issues settled don't you? Wouldn't want to loose your 1st choice a couple of weeks after introducing him to the country because you couldn't come to certain terms. Looks bad and leaves the replacement (2nd choice) in a bit of uncomfortable possition.

The longer this is undecided the more likely the evolving status quo (ie Hart with Mitchel lurking in the shadows) seems likely.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070313.soccer14/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Simoes deal close?

PETER MALLETT

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Brazilian soccer coach Rene Simoes appears to be in the final stages of negotiations to become coach of Canada's senior men's team. However, officials of the Canadian Soccer Association would not acknowledge a deal is pending.

Simoes, 54, became known in 1998 for guiding Jamaica's Reggae Boyz to their first and only appearance in a World Cup tournament.

Three sources with close ties to the CSA said Simoes arrived in Toronto Tuesday and will meet with CSA president Colin Linford today to discuss details of his contract.

Linford denied the CSA has reached a final decision on a senior men's coach.

"We are still going through the interview process, Linford said yesterday. "We don't have an announcement to make yet."

Simoes last coached Iran's under-23 squad to a bronze medal at the 2006 Asian Games, but resigned from the post in December. He also had coaching spells in Trinidad and Tobago, Qatar, and in 2004 coached the Brazilian women's Olympic team to a silver medal in Athens.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070313.soccer14/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Simoes deal close?

PETER MALLETT

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Brazilian soccer coach Rene Simoes appears to be in the final stages of negotiations to become coach of Canada's senior men's team. However, officials of the Canadian Soccer Association would not acknowledge a deal is pending.

Simoes, 54, became known in 1998 for guiding Jamaica's Reggae Boyz to their first and only appearance in a World Cup tournament.

Three sources with close ties to the CSA said Simoes arrived in Toronto Tuesday and will meet with CSA president Colin Linford today to discuss details of his contract.

Linford denied the CSA has reached a final decision on a senior men's coach.

"We are still going through the interview process, Linford said yesterday. "We don't have an announcement to make yet."

Simoes last coached Iran's under-23 squad to a bronze medal at the 2006 Asian Games, but resigned from the post in December. He also had coaching spells in Trinidad and Tobago, Qatar, and in 2004 coached the Brazilian women's Olympic team to a silver medal in Athens.

Sounds good ..but what will happen to people like Pederai Canaovan ?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

While Canada may not be attractive as a soccer nation there are many things that are attractive about the Canadian lifestyle and standard of living and this is an advantage in attracting a good coach.

good comment, exactly the positives the CSA president can use to his advantage when looking for an upper echelon coach.. Money wouldn't nessesarily be everything. If only Immigration Canada could assist with this too and hook up rapid permanent resident status for the coach and his family.

Search for Canadian men's soccer coach down to four candidates

OTTAWA (CP) - The search for Canada's next men's national team coach just got tighter Saturday as the list of candidates for the post has dwindled to four.

According to a Canadian Soccer Association spokesman, the list of candidates includes two Canadians and two non-Canadians. The CSA said it expects to announce its choice by the end of the month.

Last week, GolTV Canada reported that 54-year-old Brazilian Rene Simoes, former coach of Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago, had won the job.

"We're still going through the interview process," CSA president Colin Linford said March 13. "We don't have an announcement to make yet."

Asked if the CSA had chosen a coach, Linford said: "No, we're still looking."

The CSA is also looking for a chief executive officer and technical director.

Stephen Hart, the men's under-17 coach, has filled in on an interim basis, taking over from Frank Yallop, who resigned to become head coach of Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy.

In three games at the helm, Hart has gone 1-2. He will lead Canada, ranked no. 103, in its next match, a friendly against 116th-ranked Bermuda at Hamilton, Bermuda, on March 25.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

They are probably saying they have a short list of four just to give the impression of a fair process. I wonder how is the search for TD going. Have they got a short list for that job?

I am not sure when the application period ended, or if was strictly defined, but I wonder if someone came along late after the other three we assume to be candidates had already made their case. Someone realizes the process is still open or that the CSA is not convinced by any of the front-runners and that someone else might be able to slip in late and take the prize.

Otherwise I find it odd we are talking about three candidates possible and then there were four.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

OK...so who's the second foreigner? An American perhaps?? And was the CSA's list of candidates ever more than three or four to begin with? I mean, really??

With the strong rumours of a friendly with Argentina could an Argentinian coach be the second foreigner? If an Argentinian were the first choice candidate he might have some ability to arrange a friendly with Argentina through his connections and it would also be an attractive place to make his debut.

A possibility I have been considering is that they have made their choice and are in the process of back and forth negotiations. It would be unwise for them to declare who they have chosen or in fact that they have made a choice until all i's are dotted and all t's crossed.

TORONTO (CP) - The Canadian Soccer Association has found a new coach for the national men's team.

Now the association's board has to rubber-stamp the choice. They will get that opportunity late next week when a selection committee makes its coaching recommendation to the board. Association president Colin Linford says the choice came down to four candidates: two Canadians and two foreigners.

"We know who we want," Linford said.

Linford says his major concern is that the new coach has expertise in CONCACAF, the federation that covers North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

He wants the new coach in place by the end of the month.

TORONTO (CP) - The Canadian Soccer Association has found a new coach for the national men's team.

Now the association's board has to rubber-stamp the choice. They will get that opportunity late next week when a selection committee makes its coaching recommendation to the board. Association president Colin Linford says the choice came down to four candidates: two Canadians and two foreigners.

"We know who we want," Linford said.

Linford says his major concern is that the new coach has expertise in CONCACAF, the federation that covers North America, Central America and the Caribbean.

He wants the new coach in place by the end of the month.

Could Mo Johnson have applied looking to do a double job? My reasoning is Simoes is not exactly a superstar in the soccer world yet he was not able to slip in to Canada without attracting attention. What foreign coach with a name could come for the interview process without getting noticed? Johnson's appearance at CSA offices would not be unusual so it might not be noticed.

But I read somewhere that Linford was most concerned that the new Coach would have CONCACAF experience. I don't think Johnson would fit that criteria. Although, I suppose, he could have been the fourth. I don't see it.

Names are sometimes more familiar than faces. What about Beenhakker? He may be too expensive.

Could Mo Johnson have applied looking to do a double job? My reasoning is Simoes is not exactly a superstar in the soccer world yet he was not able to slip in to Canada without attracting attention. What foreign coach with a name could come for the interview process without getting noticed? Johnson's appearance at CSA offices would not be unusual so it might not be noticed.

The term "non-Canadian", which I think is how a couple of the official statements put it, makes me think the second guy was/is American. Maybe an MLS vet? DDR obviously has some pull around the CSA, so maybe he dropped a name or two himself, in between interviewing other potential managers.

Again, I point to Linford's statement that it was a key criteria that the Coach should have CONCACAF experience. That to me means national team experience in CONCACAF. Arena may be possible but you would think he would have been recognized. Also a non-American foreigner from a traditional soccer nation would probably have broader appeal in ethnic communities in Canada, if that matters.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

The term "non-Canadian", which I think is how a couple of the official statements put it, makes me think the second guy was/is American. Maybe an MLS vet? DDR obviously has some pull around the CSA, so maybe he dropped a name or two himself, in between interviewing other potential managers.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Is it possible that the mystery non-canadian/international coach is in fact Stephen Hart. After all, Hart is Trinidadian.

Wouldnt surprise me.

That is true and would also make sense as far as him not being noticed. That then leaves a mystery as to who the second Canadian is though I guess someone like Colin Miller could have applied.

That is true and would also make sense as far as him not being noticed. That then leaves a mystery as to who the second Canadian is though I guess someone like Colin Miller could have applied.

Maybe Craig Forrest? Or Gerry Dobson......

Archived