CP: Halifax Pulls out of Commowealth Games

So much for a new national soccer stadium:

Halifax, N.S. scrap support for Commonwealth Games

Updated Thu. Mar. 8 2007 10:55 AM ET

Canadian Press

HALIFAX, N.S. -- The Nova Scotia government and the city of Halifax are scrapping their bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

The province and the city pulled the plug on the project amid increasing criticism about the growing cost of the Games and the lack of transparency in the bid process.

Last month, some city councillors said they would withdraw their support if the final estimated price tag exceeded the initial estimate of $785 million.

In a release today, the two levels of government said the bid budget, with inflation factored in, was close to $1.7 billion.

Halifax beat Hamilton, Ottawa and suburban Toronto's York Region in December 2005 to become Canada's candidate to host the Games.

Secrecy surrounding the Halifax bid led to speculation that the final cost would be much higher than anticipated.

That prompted the head of the bid committee, CEO Scott Logan, to admit he had been too cautious about disclosing information.

Halifax was competing against Glasgow, Scotland, and Abuja, Nigeria, for the Olympic-style sports spectacle.

Final bids are supposed to be filed with the Commonwealth Games Federation in London, England, by May 9.

The winner will be announced in November.

Normally, I would wish the Federal government would bail an event like this out. But damn, for $1.7 billion, no way.

Maybe the lesson here is that these people bidding for these events need to start counting the real cost of these events. I can't wait to hear how much over budget the Vancouver olympics are going to be.

Probably a lot of the expense would be due to Halifax lacking facilities that other cities bidding already have such as a stadium. This should have been apparent to both the Halifax officials heading the bid and those in the selection committee. Since Halifax probably needs a stadium and other sporting facilities at least part of the expense would be well spent.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Probably a lot of the expense would be due to Halifax lacking facilities that other cities bidding already have such as a stadium. This should have been apparent to both the Halifax officials heading the bid and those in the selection committee. Since Halifax probably needs a stadium and other sporting facilities at least part of the expense would be well spent.

Thats the part that bugs me. We have seen this before in Canada when it comes selecting canadian venues for bidding. It always seems like logic and common sense gets thrown completely out the window in favour of pure politics or this mindless notion: " we have to be fair to all regions". Why can they just choose the site that has the best facilities, will require the lowest amount a investment, will be best supported...and other important objective criteria. Halifax hosted theb world juniors and did a great job. But the bidding for that event in canad came down to Ottawa versus Halifax. The Ottawa region has two very well supported junior teams with a long history. Hockey has still remained strong despite despite the fact that the NHL has arrived. Yet for some reason they concluded that Halifax would be the better choice.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Normally, I would wish the Federal government would bail an event like this out. But damn, for $1.7 billion, no way.

Maybe the lesson here is that these people bidding for these events need to start counting the real cost of these events. I can't wait to hear how much over budget the Vancouver olympics are going to be.

An Olympics generates revenue of all sorts, and can leave an impressive economic wake. So if you have to go overbudget you do so as otherwise the international press might notice you did something not up to par or on the cheap.

But if you do reach for maximum quality, it will get noticed and you are going to benefit even mid term from doing it right, however costly.

The Commonwealth Games does not represent anything of the sort, and even less so that most in Canada think, indeed Canada has a special love for the games than many Commonwealth nations do not have. Which is why being rigorous on you spending makes sense, there is no real benefit in overspending to be seen.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The Commonwealth Games does not represent anything of the sort, and even less so that most in Canada think, indeed Canada has a special love for the games than many Commonwealth nations do not have.

The goal of hosting such events is the legacy in facilities that are left behind after the games end. As was the case in Edmonton in 1978 and Victoria in 1994.

the real truth is that I'm surrounded by hillbillies and our elected officials are a reflection of the voting public. All I hear is everyone crying about the 1.7 billion price tag and that it took thirty years to pay back the 76 olympics. My calculations rounding our population to about 1 million is about $1700 per person or $85 per year for twenty years. Most of us never pay our mortgages in that time period and we never complain. That's because we own something when were done. I'll never see soccer, football or even a good concert at our new stadium because our mayor and premier are more concerned about staying elected than doing anything good for our city. I want to invite the rest of Canada out to Nova Scotia next election so the politicians can pour you a drink. I'm deeply embarrassed by my goverment and extend my apologies to all Canadians.

• 2 weeks later...

The centrepiece semi-open-air stadium with it’s sail-shaped roof would have been the showcase of Halifax’s Commonwealth Games bid.

“It would have been visible from the land, sea and the air,” Scott Logan, Halifax 2014 CEO said, saying the stadium would have been just as iconic as Sydney, Australia’s Opera House.

The stadium would have temporary seating for 50,000 scaled back to a permanent seating capacity of 25,000 after the games with the option to increase seating for certain events.

A roofed warm-up track beside the stadium was also proposed.

Total cost: $121.2 million.

A little too extravgant for Halifax. Especially given they don't have a permanent tennant to move in an occupy the stadium. A stadium of 15,000 permanent capacity with capability to double would've been more suitable.

Commonwealth Park Multi-Sport Facility

Would include diving, swimming, badminton courts, basketball courts. After the games, the basketball courts would be available for public rentals.

The aquatic centre would be the first of its kind in Atlantic Canada with two 50-metre pools and a seating capacity of 3,000. A temporary practice pool adjacant to the aquatics centre would have been moved elsewhere in HRM after the games.

Total cost: $159.4 million

2 50m pools? 3,000 capacity? That certinly needs to be looked at in a serious matter.

Commonwealth Park Athletes’ Village

Within walking distance of Commonwealth Park Stadium, and would have included a number of accessible housing units and assisted living units and affordable housing units. More than 900 open market housing units would have been available after the games. A senior’s facility and a hotel were also planned for the site.

Total cost: $62.5 million

Not enough univeristy dorms avaliable?

The rumours in Hamilton were that the federal gov't forced Commonwealth Games Canada (or whatever it's called) to choose Halifax over the much superior bid from Hamilton. If that's the case, then the feds should have come up with the money necessary. Although I guess at that point it was the Liberals in power, so maybe that's why the Conservatives won't come up with the money.

If the CGC chose Halifax on their own... well I guess the CSA has some serious competition.

That looks like an awesome stadium which among other things would have pretty much assured a CFL franchise for the city. I think these facilities would have done a lot to establish Halifax as a major city in Canada. The expense might have been significant but as long as it was managed properly would have been great for the long term development of the city and the province. 1.7 billion might seem like a lot when one considers it only as an expenditure for the Commonwealth games but when one considers the overall longterm impact on the city I think it would have been worthwhile (plus a significant percentage of the 1.7 billion would have gone into employment for area residents and income for local business for both the building of facilities and hosting the games). I think the cancelling of the bid was short term thinking based on figures that didn't play well politically.

Archived