CSA Player of the week thread

loyola

I think it's a new feature on the CSA website: Player of the week

Players In The News

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Player of the Week: Paul Stalteri

Paul Stalteri is in his third season with Tottenham Hotspur in London, England in the English Premier League. This past weekend, he returned to the lineup and scored the winning goal in injury time in a 4:3 victory over London rivals West Ham United. After replacing Jermaine Jenas in the 56th minute, he scored the winning goal in injury time on a rebound off a shot by Jermain Defoe.

The 29-year old defender from Brampton, ON has won 52 caps for Canada’s national senior team. He made his senior team debut at age 19 in a 0:1 loss to Iran in August 1997. Two years later, he scored his first goal in a 2:0 win over Guatemala at the 1999 Canada Cup in Edmonton. In 52 matches, Paul has scored seven times for Canada, including his most recent goal against Costa Rica in the 2003 Gold Cup. In 2006, Paul played both games of an international friendly series against Jamaica.

Paul has also played for Canada’s U-23 (Olympic), U-20 and U-17 teams. He played seven games (two goals) for Canada’s U-23 team, nine games for Canada’s U-20 youth team and three games for Canada’s U-17 team. In 1997, he represented Canada at the World Youth Championship in Malaysia.

This season, Paul has played four games for Tottenham Hotspur, the English team that now sits in eighth place in the Premiership with 42 points. Before joining Tottenham in 2004-05, he previously played for Werder Bremen (Deutschland), Toronto Lynx (Canada), and Clemson University (United States). For more information on Paul Stalteri, soccer fans can visit his personal website at www.PaulStalteri.com.

Great to see Paul score on the weekend. I am sure this season has been tough on him. You have to make the most of your opportunities on the big clubs and hopefully Paul will have a run like Julian de Guzman, working his way back into a starting role down the stretch.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Looks like this is just another CSA initiative that is falling through the cracks.

Who is the player of the week this week? If they do it, they should do it 100%, or not do it at all.

No kidding. I made a mental note to look at the follow-through on this and forgot, but am not surprised that the idea lasted for one week. Although I offer the following possible explanations:

• No one met the high standards for qualification this week.
  • They said Paul Stalteri was player of the week last week. Nowhere did they say this was a weekly award. Expect the next player of the week sometime in May.
  • Too busy looking for new coach, technical director, and the real killer (in conjunction with O.J.).

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Looks like this is just another CSA initiative that is falling through the cracks.

Who is the player of the week this week? If they do it, they should do it 100%, or not do it at all.

Here you go RJB: Player of the Week: Christine Sinclair

And they're only a day late with respect to their last POTW announcement. Any other axes to grind?

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Here you go RJB: Player of the Week: Christine Sinclair

And they're only a day late with respect to their last POTW announcement. Any other axes to grind?

sinclair? what a joke. maybe they could have picked somone, whom, oh i dont know, played an actual game this past week?

i guess with the Politically Correct CSA the award has to go boy-girl-boy-girl, just like how they determine funding for their various programs.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

sinclair? what a joke. maybe they could have picked somone, whom, oh i dont know, played an actual game this past week?

i guess with the Politically Correct CSA the award has to go boy-girl-boy-girl, just like how they determine funding for their various programs.

I think the goal of the POTW is to present a player every week, and yes it's nice to alternate men and women every week.

Are you naive enough to believe that the CSA will have a pannel voting for the real POTW ? The goal is to have a player profile weekly, for us (Voyageurs) it doesn't matter that much because we know them all, but for the average fan it can be a nice way to know more about our players.

So, on the one hand, we have people upset because they didn't recognize a player this week and then, when they finally do, we have others who complain that they made the wrong decision?

Wow.

To me it's such an inconsequential little thing that it should be way</u> down on the list of grievances.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think the goal of the POTW is to present a player every week, and yes it's nice to alternate men and women every week.

Are you naive enough to believe that the CSA will have a pannel voting for the real POTW ? The goal is to have a player profile weekly, for us (Voyageurs) it doesn't matter that much because we know them all, but for the average fan it can be a nice way to know more about our players.

In that case they should call it the weekly player profile or something like that. if they are framing it as an award or honour, then they should give it to someone who has at least played a freakin game. imagine if the nhl gave their player of the week award to a guy who hadnt played that week.

i just want our federation to be a little bit credible/legitimate, and awards such as this can help that along. but when they blatantly make such asses out of themselves it makes me so embarassed.

In that case they should call it the weekly player profile or something like that. if they are framing it as an award or honour, then they should give it to someone who has at least played a freakin game. imagine if the nhl gave their player of the week award to a guy who hadnt played that week.

i just want our federation to be a little bit credible/legitimate, and awards such as this can help that along. but when they blatantly make such asses out of themselves it makes me so embarassed.

If you read the Stalteri release by the CSA, you'll see that it isn't present as an award. It's just a presentation and they talk about his season. If Sinclair is profile this week, it should give you an idea that it's not an award...No?

Of course, I'm sure Iain Hume is furious about Sinclair being choosen for this week profile, I'm sure he'll refuse to go to Bermuda....

Like El Hombre said, you're making a storm with nothing.

They named Stalteri the "Player of the Week" the week he happened to score a winning goal for his team, they recounted his goal- what he did to earn the POTW title- before just blabbing about his season. Excuse me for thinking this was a Legitimate Award.

If anyone should be upset, its Ali Gerba who scored for his club this week. Maybe that is why he is not going to be at the Bermuda camp.

...Its all starting to unravel...

They named Stalteri the "Player of the Week" the week he happened to score a winning goal for his team, they recounted his goal- what he did to earn the POTW title- before just blabbing about his season. Excuse me for thinking this was a Legitimate Award.

If anyone should be upset, its Ali Gerba who scored for his club this week. Maybe that is why he is not going to be at the Bermuda camp.

...Its all starting to unravel...

Yes, not a bad idea to start this new feature with a veteran of our MNT who happenned to score in that week. But it doesn't mean that it's an award since if you look at this week selection she hasn't played a game during the week.

Maybe if that so important to you, you should e-mail the CSA and ask them about the feature and how it works instead of complaining with the only purpose of criticizing the CSA.

Archived