CMISL - Calgary vs. Edmonton - March 10th Thread

Cooks

Some of the roster names released for Calgary's tilt vs. the Drillbits on Saturday:

SPENCER ARNOLD 1 Callies

WES STEPHENS 3 Callies

CENEK PATIK 4 Callies

ANDRE DUBERRY 5 Callies

AARON RICHER 6 Alumni

NIC REYES 7 Callies

DAMIR JESIC 8 Alumni

MARK SLADE 9 Callies

CONRAD SMITH 10 Callies

ADAM MACDONALD 11 Alumni

JAMES MALKIN 12 Villians

MATT DEEPROSE 14 Alumni

FELIX NAPURI 16 Callies

CODY COOK 17 Callies

CHRIS KOOY 20 Callies

ALLEN JOVICA 21 Callies

KONRAD PASZKOWSKI23 W.Eagles

BRIAN MCDONNEL 29 Dinos

"We Stand United"

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

<mod>Originally posted by Jason</mod>

I found this on the Calgary FC United page. Here's the roster for this weekend's game:

03.04.2007:

Calgary United FC is proud to introduce the new 2007 team which will be competing within the CMISL league.

SPENCER ARNOLD GK

WES STEPHENS D

CENEK PATIK D/M

ANDRE DUBERRY M

AARON RICHER D

NIC REYES M

DAMIR JESIC M

MARK SLADE F

CONRAD SMITH F

ADAM MACDONALD M/D

JAMES MALKIN M

MATT DEEPROSE M/D

FELIX NAPURI M/F

CODY COOK F

CHRIS KOOY M

ALLEN JOVICA D

KONRAD PASZKOWSKI M/F

BRIAN MCDONNEL GK

There are a lot of familiar faces on the list. I count 7 former Calgary Storm/Mustangs pros and 2 Calgary PDL players. The strangest name on the list is Conrad Smith. Isn't he the guy who is/was a fringe player on the T&T national team? What's he doing in Calgary?

The roster covers most of the top players in Calgary. I'm not going to suggest they got everyone, but it's a decent list. As of today, I'm still not sure I'm going, but I will say this roster makes me want to go a bit more than before -- if for no other reason than the nostalgia of seeing some of these guys play together again.

Jason

Conrad Smith did play for the Mustangs and he also played a few games for the Callies if I'm not mistaken??

I found the Edmonton roster at http://drillersarchive.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

#1 - Oliver Brkin - Goalkeeper

#2 - John Westergaard - Defender

#4 - Antonio Rago - Midfielder

#3 - Eddy Sidra - Midfielder

#5 - Matt Rosenfeld - Defender

#6 - Nikola Vignjevic - Midfielder

#7 - Angelo Sestito - Defender

#8 - Waldermar Dutra - Midfielder

#9 - Christopher Lemire - Midfielder

#10 - John Konye - Midfielder

#11 - Kurt Bosch - Midfielder

#12 - Mark Spiller - Forward

#13 - Todd Rattee - Defender

#14 - Martin Dugas -Defender

#15 - Michal Seman - Forward

#16 - Jordan Gillespie - Midfielder

#17 - Sam Lam - Midfielder

#18 - Ian Diaz

#19 - Jarin Myskiw - Defender

#23 - Jordan Robinson - Goalkeeper

I see at least 11 former pros in the list, including NPSL and USL.

Jason

A few notes about the roster:

Seven players from that great Calgary Storm PDL club in 2001 are playing in this game: Calgary: Reyes, Jesic, Slade, Napuri, Paszkowski and Edmonton: Dutra, Lemire. I pulled out that old roster and noted that only one player is currently playing pro (Hirschfeld). Dutra was in Europe for a while but that's it. Nobody even played in the USL Div 1 last year. For a team filled with great talent, that has to be viewed as a disappointment.

I counted 14 former Storm/Mustang players. Hopefully someone can go through the stats to count former Aviators.

The players on these roster that I think could play at a higher level inlcude Dutra, Gillesipe, Reyes and Paszkowski.

Also, where are the following former Storm players: Holdt, Zuniga, and DeSilva? I heard Auvigne is injured but these other guys would seem to be possible candidates for these clubs.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I found the Edmonton roster at http://drillersarchive.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

#1 - Oliver Brkin - Goalkeeper

#2 - John Westergaard - Defender

#4 - Antonio Rago - Midfielder

#3 - Eddy Sidra - Midfielder

#5 - Matt Rosenfeld - Defender

#6 - Nikola Vignjevic - Midfielder

#7 - Angelo Sestito - Defender

#8 - Waldermar Dutra - Midfielder

#9 - Christopher Lemire - Midfielder

#10 - John Konye - Midfielder

#11 - Kurt Bosch - Midfielder

#12 - Mark Spiller - Forward

#13 - Todd Rattee - Defender

#14 - Martin Dugas -Defender

#15 - Michal Seman - Forward

#16 - Jordan Gillespie - Midfielder

#17 - Sam Lam - Midfielder

#18 - Ian Diaz

#19 - Jarin Myskiw - Defender

#23 - Jordan Robinson - Goalkeeper

I see at least 11 former pros in the list, including NPSL and USL.

Jason

I'm guessing that Antonio Rago is a brother of Carmello Rago (Former Aviator and Chilean First Division player)

Sestito played with the Drillers. Dutra last played a couple of years ago with NAIT. Bosch is with Green and Gold and an Assistant Coach with the UofA.

See that Eric Munoz isn't on the squad this time.

Yeah, it looked like they patched some old square turf with some even older stuff to fit it into the rink shape. Also noticed they didn't have the 3-point line they mentioned at they're initial press conference... maybe that's just for the Edmonton game or they did away with it altogether, frankly neither would have been a bad idea.

I was at the game today. The crowd was not announced, but I overheard a league official say it was between 1800 and 2000, which sounded about right. It was definitely over 1500.

The turf was super ugly -- there's no denying it. Otherwise, the games went reasonably well. I'm no big fan of indoor and these matches did not convert me. It was good to see these guys earn a paycheque (however small) for playing the game. And for an old Storm/Mustangs fan, there was a lot of nostalgia as the match was a who's who of those days.

The scores were Calgary 5 Edmonton 1 in the first game and Edmonton 2 Calgary 0 in the second. The tie-breaking shootout was won by Edmonton as Nikola Vignjevic got the only goal.

Calgary dominated the first game but the second match was a lot more even, except that Edmonton finished their chances. Goals were scored by Conrad Smith (2), Mark Slade, Chris Kooy, and James Malkin. I can't remember which game each Driller scored in, but they got markers from Vignjevic, Jordan Gillespie, and I think Mark Spiller.

The T&T forward Conrad Smith was the best Calgary player, perhaps followed by Chris Kooy. Nikola Vignjevic was probably the best Driller out there. It was quite evident he has played more indoor than most of the others.

There is no denying this is a work in progress. They were experimenting with continuous time (in the first 2 quarters of each game) with stop time (in the last 2 quarters of each game). They do have something to build on as there was a decent crowd. It was definitely a crowd of die-hard soccer fans, friends and family of the players, and kids. There were no casual sports fans at this match. Ticket prices are not terrible if you bring a kid ($28 for an adult and a child combined) but $23 at the gate for a general admission adult ticket is too much. I guess they'd rather have families at the game than a non-parent like myself.

Jason

I was at the game too and I thought there was a pretty decent crowd. One thing I did have a problem with was the person controlling the music. After a while they just let the music play during regular play, which I found annoying.

I can't imagine ticket sales to casual fans are going to be much in Edmonton either... I made the trip down to ticketmaster today and when I asked for two tickets to next weeks Drillers soccer game the girl gave me a blank stare, then a questioning stare, then asked me to "Drillers?", then finally typed it into the system and found it.

So, it's a safe bet they haven't gotten to many other requests lol

Pretty steep prices too, for two adult seats it cost $71

Calgary United FC v. Edmonton Drillers FC

March 10th 2007 Stampede Corral 3pm

Game 1

Calgary 5 (Conrad Smith x 2, Malkin, Kooy, Slade)

Edmonton 1 (Gillespie)

Game 2

Edmonton 2 (Vignjevic, Spiller)

Calgary 0

Penalty Shootout

Calgary: Smith, Patik, and Malkin all missed on their chances.

Edmonton: Vignjevic scores while Rattee is stopped and Lemire trips himself up.

Looked like a crowd of about 2,000 in attendance for the game. The big thing seemed to be trying to get the minor soccer associations on board and support this. Especially given the history between the MSA's and the clubs here in Alberta over the past couple of years. No articles about the match appeared in the Saturday editions of the Sun or the Hearld.

I'm guessing that the line 2/3 of the way down the field were the 3 point marks. It was fun to see Jordan Robinson try and throw the ball into the Calgary net from his own end. It ended up hitting the cross bar.

A question could be asked on how the MTS Center will adapt an indoor field of play. Rexall and Credit Union Centre were the only ones to have held matches in the traditional indoor sense. Might be seeing something diferent here.

Should add that Cardel Homes, which is CUFC's shirt sponsor, should rethink the idea they had on their advertising board. "Built to take a Zidane" my not bring in much confidence.

Actually from what people are saying who went to the game, 2000 is not bad. I guess, perhaps maybe they might be slightly disapointed they did not get the 4000-6000 they wanted to.

As for the MTS centre and indoor soccer section from a little booklet that was in the Winnipeg Free Press when the MTS Centre opened in November of 2004 said the following:

"The building will aslo be capable of hosting tennis competitions, as well as indoor football, soccer or lacrosse should the need ever arise"

"We've got all kinds of flexability with non-hockey and non-ice events, like big-tire or rodeo events. The design allows us to go as wide (and long) as 30,000 square feet on the floor, which gives us trade-show and flat-show capability, signifigant capability, which you don't have with buildings that can't convert in these ways".

The MTS Centre has host numerous non-ice sports events like an NBA exhibition game. The closet thing that the MTS Centre with regards to dealing with the simular conditions of Indoor soccer, was a National Lacrosse League exhibition game betweent he Toronto Rock and Minnesota Swarm in December of 2006. They also only had the lower bowl open for that game. It will be the same for the Indoor soccer game on April 1st at the Phone Booth.

My prediction is, unless they get a wonderful walk up crowd, the Winnipeg game wont even come close to getting 4000 people, lucky to maybe get 3000, but realistically probably 2000-2500. That is an even optimistic asumption. If the CMISL looks past this "Showcase season" ( I hope so, but I am not optimistic), perhaps they should really re-look their strategy of having these games at big NHL style arenas and go for the more moderate 1000-5000 seat arenas. That would be a better route to go.

quote:Originally posted by Kevin McMillan

Yeah, it looked like they patched some old square turf with some even older stuff to fit it into the rink shape. Also noticed they didn't have the 3-point line they mentioned at they're initial press conference... maybe that's just for the Edmonton game or they did away with it altogether, frankly neither would have been a bad idea.

Re: the 3 point line -- it was there (around the area of the hockey blue line but a bit closer). According to a league official, they originally were going to have a basketball-like 3 point arc, but changed their mind to the line.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Re: the 3 point line -- it was there (around the area of the hockey blue line but a bit closer). According to a league official, they originally were going to have a basketball-like 3 point arc, but changed their mind to the line.

Jason

Hmm, that would be a different twist on it. From their initial hub-bub I assumed their multi-point scoring would be ala the NPSL/MISL system, where anything inside the arc is two, beyond three, and penalty shootouts are one.... something like basketball.

Are you sure they didn't just do away with multi-point scoring all together?

Footy faithful cheer kickoff

Nearly 2,000 watch United, Drillers twin bill

Michael Petrie, Calgary Herald

Published: Sunday, March 11, 2007

They didn't barricade the locker-room doors and force the sides to keep playing, but Calgary soccer fans walked away wanting more.

A doubleheader of indoor soccer at the Corral on Saturday afternoon was well received, as almost 2,000 footy faithful watched Calgary United FC play the Edmonton Drillers.

"We wanted to showcase and get people interested," said Chris Baker, owner of United FC. "Hopefully, they'll come back next time and bring some friends. We got a good turnout, people were enjoying it.

"The Calgary team played well, you can see there's lot of talent there. I think it's a good start."

United beat Edmonton 5-1 in the opener and lost the second, 2-0. There was some obvious skill on both squads and the games were largely entertaining.

The teams will play a return twin bill on March 18, while the Saskatoon Accelerators and Winnipeg Alliance FC are set for a similar home-and-away later this month.

The four teams comprise the Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League -- a fledgling circuit that will play abbreviated seasons this year and next, in order to gauge interest and work out kinks before beginning full play in 2008-09.

There's no shortage of soccer fans across this country and the CMISL hopes to slowly and deliberately cultivate a following.

"We face failures from the past and people tend to look at you that way," said Mel Kowalchuk, Drillers owner and acting commissioner. "All we're saying is give us a chance and judge us for what we're doing, what we're trying to do."

Attempts at selling soccer have failed time and time again in Canada, but Baker and Kowalchuk claim they've learned from other people's mistakes. They see potential and say teams from Eastern Canada already are interested in joining.

But rather than hopping behind the wheel, turning the key and screaming down an icy mountain road, these guys are checking all their mirrors and fastening their seatbelts before pulling out of the driveway.

Kowalchuk was involved with the National Professional Soccer League when the Edmonton Drillers aimed to draw 12,000 people per game, the league spent $50,000 on some players and flights for a single road trip cost as much as $20,000.

These won't be issues when the CMISL gets fired up.

"We can sit back after this mini-season and look at what we did right, and what we did wrong," said Kowalchuk. "If you go play a 20-game season -- 10 home, 10 away -- you've got a million things wrong. Now, we can see the 10 things we've got wrong and correct them."

mpetrie@theherald.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=2376108e-e05c-45b5-883c-ea1b322ea75f

Very good game

Players was practice for this only 10 days...some of this players are 16,17,18 year old so this guys was probably confused with crowd of 2000 people...and there names on tv or newspaper ...etc

Crowd of 2000 people ...great..Calgary advertise only few days before game ...Beckam and Zidane wasn`t there at game so why people expecting

5000-10000-...

We must be realistic...this guys not gonna make millions.. but there are some good players..indoor game is very interesting game ...lots of action ,fast and never ends(result)...

this are just exibition games and and I wish league will be succesful...for verry strong league we need milions so we can bring superstars from all world...but that day is very far

until that we must be happy too watch ( and have) any professional league...

with fireworks..and opening ceremonies before game...some intere

sting activities between half times..more adds in newspapers and tv

this will be much better game for fans...and of course let players practice for month or two before games and that will help also

so stop criticize ,give some support

Game is actually on Sunday evening.

Article from the Journal I couldn't access due to the registration requirements. Got it off the Driller Archive page.

Youth will be served on Drillers

Written by Scott Petersen

Thursday, 15 March 2007

After his first road-game experience, Mark Spiller is looking forward to his first taste of action at Rexall Place.

Spiller made his Edmonton Drillers debut last weekend in a couple of showcase games in Calgary. The eye-opening experience gave him a taste for more in their home rematch Sunday against Calgary United FC.

"I've played in big games, but nothing like that," said the 20-year-old forward. "To step out and see big crowds like that was very exciting. I was nervous, but then you get into the game.

"I think it'll be a little more nerve-wracking (in Edmonton), but exciting as well. There'll be more people for you and, hopefully when you score, they'll cheer for you. Out there when I scored, there wasn't much cheering."

Spiller got his first taste of semi-pro success in the second game of a split with Calgary, which drew about 2,000 fans. The Drillers were blasted 5-1 in the first test before settling down and rebounding with a 2-0 win in the following game. Spiller notched the insurance marker after getting stuffed on a number of solid chances.

He's counted on to be a big part of the now, and future, Drillers squad, as they try to build interest for a full season launch in two years.

"I think for the community it's exciting because this is the face of the future," said coach Pasquale DeLuca. "We were impressed with all the young guys. Mark Spiller could've had four or five goals and Tristan (Ilko, goalie) was probably our MVP in our second game, keeping them at bay ... I could just go on and on with all the young guys, but they all contributed."

Midfielder Antonio Rago, a Grade 11 student at St. Joseph high school, may be the youngest player in the CMISL at 16. But DeLuca said he played older than his age after shaking off some early nerves.

"It's an honour to play for the Edmonton Drillers. I used to watch them when I was a kid," said Rago, blissfully unaware that many would still refer to him as a kid. "It's surreal."

Rago was at tryouts overseas for a couple of youth teams in November and plans to continue training in Edmonton before heading back to Europe.

He holds the first trip, and trials with the youth clubs tied with West Brom and Celtic, as a learning experience for the future, which may not include the Drillers if things go to plan.

"It was an amazing experience," said Rago.

"There's very little difference between being good and being great."

http://drillersarchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1074&Itemid=2

Game is actually on Sunday evening.

Article from the Journal I couldn't access due to the registration requirements. Got it off the Driller Archive page.

Youth will be served on Drillers

Written by Scott Petersen

Thursday, 15 March 2007

After his first road-game experience, Mark Spiller is looking forward to his first taste of action at Rexall Place.

Spiller made his Edmonton Drillers debut last weekend in a couple of showcase games in Calgary. The eye-opening experience gave him a taste for more in their home rematch Sunday against Calgary United FC.

"I've played in big games, but nothing like that," said the 20-year-old forward. "To step out and see big crowds like that was very exciting. I was nervous, but then you get into the game.

"I think it'll be a little more nerve-wracking (in Edmonton), but exciting as well. There'll be more people for you and, hopefully when you score, they'll cheer for you. Out there when I scored, there wasn't much cheering."

Spiller got his first taste of semi-pro success in the second game of a split with Calgary, which drew about 2,000 fans. The Drillers were blasted 5-1 in the first test before settling down and rebounding with a 2-0 win in the following game. Spiller notched the insurance marker after getting stuffed on a number of solid chances.

He's counted on to be a big part of the now, and future, Drillers squad, as they try to build interest for a full season launch in two years.

"I think for the community it's exciting because this is the face of the future," said coach Pasquale DeLuca. "We were impressed with all the young guys. Mark Spiller could've had four or five goals and Tristan (Ilko, goalie) was probably our MVP in our second game, keeping them at bay ... I could just go on and on with all the young guys, but they all contributed."

Midfielder Antonio Rago, a Grade 11 student at St. Joseph high school, may be the youngest player in the CMISL at 16. But DeLuca said he played older than his age after shaking off some early nerves.

"It's an honour to play for the Edmonton Drillers. I used to watch them when I was a kid," said Rago, blissfully unaware that many would still refer to him as a kid. "It's surreal."

Rago was at tryouts overseas for a couple of youth teams in November and plans to continue training in Edmonton before heading back to Europe.

He holds the first trip, and trials with the youth clubs tied with West Brom and Celtic, as a learning experience for the future, which may not include the Drillers if things go to plan.

"It was an amazing experience," said Rago.

"There's very little difference between being good and being great."

http://drillersarchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1074&Itemid=2

Archived