We just don't give ourselves enough credit

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

In a recent conversation about soccer, I was talking about the Canadian mens national team to a guy visiting from France.

He didn't think Canada had a team because he has never seen them play in UEFA or the Champions League.

I agree and it's frustrating. Even people involved in the sport in Brazil admit they don't know anything about the Canadian team.

David Edgar's goal against Man U was well timed for me because I would often say, "Did you see the Newcastle United - Man U game? Well, the final goal scorer is a young Canadian." Many saw the game.

I also used Hargreaves on occasion, "you know the English midfielder, Hargreaves?" which was usually met with an acknowledgement that they knew him. Then I would say, "Well, he is actually Canadian and chose to play for England." The response would then be an understanding frown and a mutter, "like Deco." JDG2 was less recognized.

After that, they began to wonder why Canada was not doing well in the sport.... like us all...

Yes, I may liberally interpreted the initial post, but I think it is a valid point. Canadians typically have an inferiority complex about soccer.

As well, I think you always find people everywhere that don't have a clue about the sport and its organization even in their own country. Ask questions about teams below the top high profile top level teams and you will find many people who don't know them.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

I think speedmonk's point was that we Canadians, well the ones that post here, at least know national teams don't play in Champs league, and north american teams don't play in UEFA. Or?

Guest Jeffery S.

Most conversations I have with folks from England who are into the game know who the Canadians are, they may not be able to say offhand, but if you remind them they click in quickly. I don't think we are as anonymous as most think, it is not different with any other similar strength nation in soccer: if you ask Spaniards for Bosnians in the league they probably would not be able to say, until you mentioned who they were, the exceptions being those fans with one on the club team they follow.

Guest speedmonk42

I am not talking about our anonymity.

I am talking about the combination of ignorance and arrogance.

I don't think there is a single Canadian fan here that would make the assumption that Vietnam doesn't have a soccer team or think it's funny that they do.

It is shocking that someone who is from Europe, even if they were not a fan of the game and simply through pure media osmosis, could not pick up that UEFA and the Champions League were regional and not just so good that nobody else made it there.

Archived