Whitecaps Stadium Open Houses This Week!

From Friends of Soccer:

This is a big week for the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium proposal, and once again we need the support of everyone in the Canadian soccer community. The City of Vancouver is holding a series of open houses on the revised stadium site, and they want to hear from you!

This is your chance to let City Hall know that the overwhelming support for the stadium is still strong. Members of the Whitecaps will also be on hand to answer your questions.

There are three Open Houses to choose from:

Tuesday, March 6th

Waterfront Station Concourse 3PM - 7PM

601 West Cordova Street

Thursday, March 8th

Chinese Cultural Centre 3PM- 7PM

50 East Pender Street

*(Mandarin & Cantonese translation available)

Saturday, March 10th

Central Branch Vancouver Public Library 10AM - 2PM 350 West Georgia Street

Besides the new stadium, the City is also presenting an ambitious proposal for a new Central Waterfront Transportation Hub. Their plan will bring together all modes of of public transit, and opens up other possibilities, such as bringing Via and Amtrak trains to downtown and extending the seawall around the stadium to link up with False Creek. While the stadium can go ahead without the Central Waterfront Hub plan, the two put together would provide an exciting new focus to the downtown waterfront.

Please take some time this week to visit one of the three open houses. If you can't make it, or live in other parts of Canada, you can always send your written comments to the City Planning Department Project Planner Matt Shillito at matt.shillito@vancouver.ca.

Thanks again for your support. We still have at least two more rounds of public hearings and two crucial City Council votes over the next several months before the stadium becomes a reality. It's your help and support that keeps this much needed project moving forward.

I went to the Waterfront station one Tuesday. The new configuration is WAY better, not only for the 5 sticky points, but from a soccer standpoint. The preliminary footprint is parallel with Canada Place with the open end facing North East. All 3 of the other sides appear to be covered.

I was at the library on Sat. and..well...to tell you the truth; with the little i know, I am running outta patience here. The new look is pleasing to the eye but there are gonna be massive hoops to jump through with this one. The environmental assesment(sp) alone is going to take awhile. The one engineer I spoke with said it would be MINIMUM 2011 before anything is completed. The 'Caps are set on this location only because there really isn't any space available out there. Not only do they have to deal with port authority ( who is supporting this stadium in "principle only" )but the hippies out there protest more then trees and grandma in her comfy condo on water st. has a large say in this as well. Dig in boys because it's going to be awhile before we see anything.

I'm not so sure that it's going to take as long as everyone fears. The person MOST opposed to the site privately congratulated the Whitecaps for solving all the pressing issues. The new report was endorsed by city staff.

The new guard in the city planners office also look at this as a major "feather in the cap" for the city. And as far as the 'Duze is concerned, he told me at the meeting that if they didn't have a shovel in the ground within the year...he'd be shocked.

I guess that should be...a pile in ocean.

Ido not want to be pessimistic about this but let's pray that is the truth. Bobby obviously has a great interest so i can't see any reason he would get your hopes up by saying that. I would be extremely relieved to see that shovel or pile of rocks in the oces this year.

I was there on Saturday as well Paul and had some of the same feelings you have. On the feedback forms I made a point to say that the plan looks great,the issues appear solved and lets get on with it before I pass away. I realise the need to do these studies but the process is so painfully slow.

It's not every day that a guy wants to plunk down almost 100 million to build a stadium on your most precious waterfront.

I agree the process is painfully slow, thanks to red tape and "due dilligence", but when it's done, it will be the finest soccer stadium and outdoor stadium on the continent.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I was there on Saturday as well Paul and had some of the same feelings you have. On the feedback forms I made a point to say that the plan looks great,the issues appear solved and lets get on with it before I pass away. I realise the need to do these studies but the process is so painfully slow.

Hey Nazz, how are ya...I thought you may be at that forum..did a quick look about for you. I think the operative word is "painful". Calgary Boomer hits it on the head with the red tape comment. That should be our provincial flag...RED TAPE!!! Maybe by the time the stadium is complete we can get a seniors discount. I'll by the first round, Nazz....cheers

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Hey Nazz, how are ya...I thought you may be at that forum..did a quick look about for you. I think the operative word is "painful". Calgary Boomer hits it on the head with the red tape comment. That should be our provincial flag...RED TAPE!!! Maybe by the time the stadium is complete we can get a seniors discount. I'll by the first round, Nazz....cheers

Archived