Champions League live on TSN

Rivaldo

This deserves its own thread.

quote:Originally posted by Mike

I'm browsing the Rogers Toronto guide right now, and it shows channels 401 "Sports Preview" and 490 showing Liverpool-Barcelona tomorrow at 2:30. Does anyone know if this is accurate? My understanding is the only live Champions League on TV is on RDS or TLN.

I see "UEFA Champions League" on ExpressVu 402 for tomorrow and Wed. at 1:30 pm CST. It looks like TSN will be using their alternate digital channel to show these games live.

This is another reason for us to bitch at Shaw. TSN Alternate is not available for us. I called them to complain and urge others to do the same. While your doing that, tell them you want them to finally get Gol TV Canada.

I guess it is Champions League in French for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The World Men's Curling Championship will conflict with the first leg of the quarterfinals.

TSN has posted its schedule for the first leg quarterfinals:

Apr 3rd AC Milan vs. Bayern Munich 8:00 PM

Apr 4th PSV vs. Liverpool 12:00 AM

Apr 5th Roma vs. Manchester United 12:30 AM

There is no indication whether or not they will use their alternate channel to show any of these live.

Why should TSN show soccer from Europe that involves no Canadian teams and no Canadian players instead of curling from Canada (Edmonton) that involves a Canadian team (that happens to be arguably the best in the world right now) made up completely of Canadian players (any of whom happen to be arguably the best in the world right now)?

It's funny that people like to argue that we should have more Canadian soccer on TV instead of non-Canadian sports, and yet Canadian curling is always bashed at this time of year when people want non-Canadian soccer.

I'm eager to watch the Men's World Curling Championship. Perhaps I'll have time for the Champions League afterwards, but it'll be tough to fit them in.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Why should TSN show soccer from Europe that involves no Canadian teams and no Canadian players instead of curling from Canada (Edmonton) that involves a Canadian team (that happens to be arguably the best in the world right now) made up completely of Canadian players (any of whom happen to be arguably the best in the world right now)?

It's funny that people like to argue that we should have more Canadian soccer on TV instead of non-Canadian sports, and yet Canadian curling is always bashed at this time of year when people want non-Canadian soccer.

I'm eager to watch the Men's World Curling Championship. Perhaps I'll have time for the Champions League afterwards, but it'll be tough to fit them in.

Agreed! What makes these whiners remarkable is that there is more soccer on TV than is humanly possible to watch for people who really want it bad enough. But they expect to get international soccer while subscribing to cheapo analog cable.

It's quite humourous actually. Maybe I'll start complaining to the CBC that they don't provide me with my Croatian basketball league fix or satisfy my Packistani-league cricket need, yeah? And why doesn't Sportsnet show Gaelic football?

TSN will have live coverage on their alternate channel:

quote:Watch live coverage of UEFA Champions League quarterfinal matches:

AC Milan vs. Bayern Munich - Tuesday, April 3 - 2:30 pm et / 11:30 am pt

Roma vs. Manchester United - Wednesday, April 4 - 2:30 pm et / 11:30 am pt

Participating digital television providers

Bell ExpressVu 402

Star Choice 401

Access (Regina/White City, SK) 264

Rogers (Ontario & New Brunswick) 204, 401 and 490

Shaw Cable 1

Mountain Cablevision 60

I'm surprised they aren't showing PSV Eindhoven vs. Liverpool live, like ESPN2. English teams get more viewers.

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

I'm surprised they aren't showing PSV Eindhoven vs. Liverpool live, like ESPN2. English teams get more viewers.

Which is probably why Liverpool is on TSN's main channel and the other match is on some niche channel most people don't get.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Which is probably why Liverpool is on TSN's main channel and the other match is on some niche channel most people don't get.

You mean tape delayed at midnight ET?

Why not put Liverpool on both? That's what they're doing with Bayern @ Milan.

The match from Milan was live on TLN and RDS too. It would be nice to have a choice.

Archived