CSL removes Caribbean Selects

The CSL has decide to remove the Caribean Select from the league this year. This info is coming from a member of the organization over the the CSL board.

"The Caribbean selects are no longer a part of the CSL, we would like to appologize for not making this fact public much sooner, we do recieve quite a number of phone calls for tryouts and are not able to entertain those request at the moment.

The CSL made a decision to go without the Caribbean Selects this year, we all do know if money cannot be made at the gates then not only the team is in financial problems but also the league."

I'm assuming that the league has other teams lined up to replace them if they're prepared to just let one franchise go. I've heard a rumour that the Serbian White Eagles won't be back in 2007 due to unpaid bills? Not sure how true that is but has anyone else heard that?

I had a feeling Caribbean Selects wouldn't be back. I remember one game where I said the attendance was '9'. Since Birchmount Stadium retrofit was like three months late, Selects didn't have a home game until about 3/4s through the season. By then the team was far behind the others and some nights they had trouble getting enough players to turn up.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the players eventually return to play on African Icons but that's a year from now.

I still don't know if Brampton Stallions will be back after the playoff field fiasco. The Montreal franchise has just changed its name.

I wonder how many teams will play in 2007.

Thanks for the update Rocket Robin. It's going to be an interesting season in 2007 if Brampton have pulled out too. The problem is that none of the clubs (apart from the Italia Shooters) seem to update their websites during the off-season, so it makes it hard to know what their intentions are. I'm guessing that if Brampton join the Caribbean Selects in leaving the league, then the CSL has teams in mind to replace them rather than be two teams less for 2007. I really hope Laval can keep a side there with new ownership.

It's better to have less teams perticipating in the league as long as they are "finantialy sound" and better organized than the ones desapearing from the league.

I heard Brampton will be back this coming season under new ownership.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure what is expected of the CPSL web sites to update really when you are in a league that does not have much happening!!!

Most teams take the winter off, but if you look at the Supra web site you will notice some updates to it's visitors. Today is March 27 and yet no schedule from the league or an update to which teams are playing this season or anything about the Canada Cup.

Just a thought, do you think the Shooters are finally updating their site because they won the championship in 2006 since we spent all season last year looking at the same page in all their menu items :)

quote:Originally posted by PSG

Thanks for the update Rocket Robin. It's going to be an interesting season in 2007 if Brampton have pulled out too. The problem is that none of the clubs (apart from the Italia Shooters) seem to update their websites during the off-season, so it makes it hard to know what their intentions are. I'm guessing that if Brampton join the Caribbean Selects in leaving the league, then the CSL has teams in mind to replace them rather than be two teams less for 2007. I really hope Laval can keep a side there with new ownership.

Archived