Impact hopes to remain Canada's top soccer team

Raven

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Chet

In my opinion, to even be considered Canada's top soccer team, your roster has to be at least 50 per cent Canadian. Until that happens, TFC doesn't qualify.

Vancouver might not either at the way things are going, so maybe Montreal would win by default. ;)

In my opinion, to even be considered Canada's top soccer team, your roster has to be at least 50 per cent Canadian. Until that happens, TFC doesn't qualify.

For all the criticism TFC is getting on this board for Canadian content or lack thereof I would say they are almost an example to the other two teams. Vancouver has shown absolutely no commitment to Canadian players especially since Lilley arrived. For all of Saputo's talk about developing Quebecois talent the Impact are no shining light either and also have a very high foreign contingent. I guess the yearly scouting trip to Argentina is really helping to develop Quebec soccer players. The Lynx were the only USL team that was committed to Canadian players although this was probably due mostly to having a low budget. I actually support the USL policy of opening up the league to all Canadian/US players but in order for this to work the teams have some philosophy of having local and Canadian players. In my opinion so far TFC is the Canadian team that has shown this to the greatest degree and I think they have done a pretty good job in getting those Canadians at MLS playing level who were available.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

For all the criticism TFC is getting on this board for Canadian content or lack thereof I would say they are almost an example to the other two teams. Vancouver has shown absolutely no commitment to Canadian players especially since Lilley arrived. For all of Saputo's talk about developing Quebecois talent the Impact are no shining light either and also have a very high foreign contingent. I guess the yearly scouting trip to Argentina is really helping to develop Quebec soccer players. The Lynx were the only USL team that was committed to Canadian players although this was probably due mostly to having a low budget. I actually support the USL policy of opening up the league to all Canadian/US players but in order for this to work the teams have some philosophy of having local and Canadian players. In my opinion so far TFC is the Canadian team that has shown this to the greatest degree and I think they have done a pretty good job in getting those Canadians at MLS playing level who were available.

Agree Grizzly.

TFC are receiving underserving criticism and they still haven't announced their final roster. At this point, they've signed 7 or 8 canadians and their 7 or 8 more (mostly young players, Canizalez being the oldest) trying out for the team.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I actually support the USL policy of opening up the league to all Canadian/US players but in order for this to work the teams have some philosophy of having local and Canadian players.

That policy hasn't turned out the way I thought it would either. Yet, in the championship year and in the few years before that, the Impact had a very strong Canadian contingent. I havent really noticed a great influx of Canadians in the other USL teams as result of that change.

Joey Saputo was a guest on the Team 990 Montreal oranges at half time with host Tony Marinaro on Saturday March 10 2007. He mentioned that he was dissapointed with the performance of the players that were signed in 2006 noteably Antoniuk and Salles.

He also mentioned that the Club begins every season with the Goal of winning the Championship, and that it would be no different this year. He has high hopes for striker Frederico Moojen, and is also hoping to sign Argentinian DiLorenzo. Looks like Massimo Di Ioia will get a chance to win a spot with the club in 2007.

I think TFC has a reasonable amount of Canadian talent.

Vancouver has been very discouraging in this department. Frankly it is nothing short of shameful. As I have stated earlier, the decision of our USL teams to cut the import rule is nothing short of a disaster, and we are clearly seeing the evidance of that.

As stated earlier (and Kevan Pipe concurred) Canada will face a huge crisis in terms of professional development when TFC and future Canadian teams decide they do not want an import quota. There is simply not enough First (and no Second) Division teams producing talent for our MLS franchise (soon to be plural). There is no question we are heading for this development, and anyone that thinks otherwise simply has to count the minimal number of Canadian players on the field last season for Montreal and Vancouver.

If there was ever a need to be proactive, this is it.

I don't think TFC can simply decide to do away with any domestic player/import player quotas if they wanted to. All of MLS would have to do that, and I don't think that is happening anytime soon. I suspect that these quotas will still be in place if & when Vancouver joins MLS at the end of the decade (or beginning of next one). It's somewhat ironic that the best way to ensure a level of Canadian talent on our professional teams nowadays appears to be to gain entry into MLS....either that or hire a Canadian coach.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It's somewhat ironic that the best way to ensure a level of Canadian talent on our professional teams nowadays appears to be to gain entry into MLS....either that or hire a Canadian coach.

Appearances can be decieving. 12 of the current 19 man roster of the Whitecaps are Canadians or naturalized (Sebrungo). Suspect that if I looked at the Impact, I'd find something similar.

In any event, it is TFCs responsibility to win games, not develop Canadian soccer players, so nobody should bear them any ill will because there will not be as many canadian players on the field as we'd all like to see. As long as there are Canadian content rules, then it will be in TFCs best interests to develop promising Canadians. Fortunately, I do not think MLS will abandon their American quotas, and although I can see TFC wanting to keep their "bonus" american's (simply so as to broaden their reach in terms of putting out the most comptetitive team possible), I can't see Employment and Immigration and the CSA going for that.

Fair enough, though I think that the concern for most is that there is a downward, rather than an upward trend, with the USL rules. That might not be the case either. With the removal of the Lynx from the USL first division & TFC not picking up (as yet) any players from the more recent Lynx rosters, I am hoping that the better Canadian Lynx players end up on the Whitecaps & Impact rosters, and if not for other USL teams. We have seen a bit of that with the Impact picking up Arango, let's hope there is more.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Did the Whitecaps not have something like 3 Canadians on the field for the final & playoffs ?

I think it was (only) 5: Clarke, Kindel; Valente; Lyall & Nash in the final.

Cann and Matondo also got into the game (Briefly IIRC) as subs.

I think that it is fair enough to be worried about how the elimination of import quotas will effect Canadian in USL as there are only two Canadian teams and both being among the wealthier of the USL teams, can afford to carry more Americans than some of the American teams could afford Canadians. I do not think there are any moer Canadian's playing in US franchises now, than there was 3 or 4 years ago.

They play in Canada therefore they are a Canadian soccer team.

Using your reasoning, Chelsea shouldn't be competing in the English tournaments or league or representing England in Europe.

We're talking professional sports here. It's not Ontario vs. BC at the Canada Games.

db

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Perhaps the more pertinent question is why was it taken as gospel on this board 12-16 months ago that Saputo would never consider MLS and that Vancouver's "stated goal" was MLS in 5 years and thus the exclusivity agreement was just a toss away that MLSE wanted for no real reason and the CSA happily tossed in for no real reason. Indeed, perhaps the most pertinent question is to what extent is Saputo's (and Kerfoot's) planning shaped (and limited) by the exclusivity agreement? Not only in terms of application to MLS but in terms of the pace at which they are driving their respective stadium developments?

Vancouver has always stated that the MLS is their future, while no one

knows for sure waht the Impact have in mind. They talk about the MLS

yet their new stadium will only hold 15,000, 5,ooo then the MLS minimum> Forget Montreal for the time being vancouver will be the next Canadian city in the MLS after TFC 5 year agreement with MLS ends!!

Archived