US to bid on 2018 World Cup

RS

USSF to Seek to Host 2018 World Cup, but '14 Also a Possibility

quote:The U.S. Soccer Federation is formulating a bid to host the 2018 World Cup, an effort that could bring the quadrennial tournament here for the first time in 24 years as well as position the United States to stage the 2014 event in case a South American country is not ready.

USSF President Sunil Gulati said yesterday that the federation will form an organizing committee at this weekend's annual meetings in Los Angeles and prepare to formally advise FIFA, the sport's world governing body, of its intentions to compete for the 2018 tournament. England is also planning a bid. The host is likely to be chosen in 2012.

Click below for full article (login required)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/19/AR2007021900914.html?sub=AR

Yeah, England for 2018 I've heard as well. With the stadiums now becoming available in England it's hard to imagine them loosing out to any other country in hosting the World Cup. But if it would be anyone it would be the U.S. of A. Money talks pretty damn loudly in FIFA's ear.

2014/2018 would probably be pretty good timing for the WC return to the United States. Might be hard selling the US as a destination for the WC to a lot of countrys though. You know, security/passport/screening issues related to Homeland Security. That sort of thing.

Guest speedmonk42

I thought that would be impossible now that there is supposed to be rotation through the federations.

England in 2018 that is. Africa, SA, NA, Asia, then Europe...... hmmmm maybe they killed that.

?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I thought that would be impossible now that there is supposed to be rotation through the federations.

England in 2018 that is. Africa, SA, NA, Asia, then Europe...... hmmmm maybe they killed that.

That idea was never gonna be carried out in the long-run. It works real well for about one rotation. Then you realize that most continents only have 1 or 2 countries capable of hosting a World Cup while Europe has about 6.

Archived