Canada and the International Match Calendar 2007

rdroze

Gerry Dobson said during tonight's game that Dale Mitchell told him they were looking for game(s) during November FIFA dates and also a camp in January (no FIFA dates in January so I would assume the same kind of camp as last year and if we're lucky might play the USA). No words on the October FIFA dates.

i would much rather see us play european nations, such as the likes mentioned, Belgium, Poland, Swiss, and beyond. For one, there is more footballing intrigue for me than playing the CONCACAF nations repeatedly. We would definitely be playing up a level in most situations, and its just much more simple in terms of travel. As mentioned we could set up a few friendlies at year against the Americas teams, preferrably at home.

I don't really care about the perception that playing these countries will prepare us for their antics etc. The players know. The players have been down there. I think unless we are playing Mexico on a regular basis, or the US, we should stick to bigger fish than the likes of Honduras or Guatemala. Thats really how the US side improved. They played endless friendlies against the likes of Argentina, Germany, etc.

The more we play the big sides, the more confidence our side will gain. Then we will become that much more imposing during our CONCACAF qualifying.

Archived