Canada and the International Match Calendar 2007

rdroze

Colin Linford has been quoted multiple times expressing an intention to fill all (or just 10?) of FIFA's international dates with friendly matches for Canada's Men's National Team:

Nov 2006: 'Those would be 10 dates we'd be seeking opposition, whether it would be in Europe or whether it would be CONCACAF,' Linford said. http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10856

Dec 2006: «Nous n'avons jamais rempli les dix dates annuellement réservées par la FIFA pour la tenue de matchs amicaux internationaux, a fait remarquer Linford. Il est temps que ça change même si, pour ce faire, il faut augmenter le budget réservé à nos équipes nationales.»

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10917

I'd like to track the progress in 2007 toward this goal, and I invite anyone to add missing information.

FIFA International Dates 2007:

February 7:       NO MATCH

March 24:         Match vs BERMUDA in Hamilton, Bermuda [March 25]: 3-0 Win

March 28:         NO MATCH

June 2:           Match vs VENEZUELA in Maracaibo, Venezuela [June 1]: 2-2 Draw

June 6:           [Gold Cup]

August 22:        Match vs ICELAND in Reykjavik, Iceland: 1-1 Draw

September 8:      NO MATCH

September 12:     Match vs COSTA RICA in Toronto: 1-1 Draw

October 13:       No match scheduled

October 17:       No match scheduled

November 17:      No match scheduled

November 21:      Match vs SOUTH AFRICA in South Africa.

Edit: add South Africa, and results from Costa Rica.

The only thing we can add is the rumour about a Bermuda friendly in march.

But as I've said before, the priority dates should be the one after the GC (a friendly on June 2 would be excellent BTW) and the ones in early 2008, just before the WCQ starts.

We also have to understand that before scheduling games, Linford and the CSA have to hire a coach (timeline has been set for March to have someone in place). I'll get mad at Linford at the end of next month if we don,t have a heand coach, until then I'm not worriyng too many on this board.

September 17, 2007 (CP)

The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce the re-hiring of Kevan Pipe in the position of Chief Operating Officer. CSA President Colin Linford stated "Filling the COO position marks the first critical stage in our preparation for World Cup Qualifying next year. With Kevan back on board, we are now in a position to move forward in formulating a plan to screen potential applicants to fill the vacant MNT head coaching position." In related news, U17 head coach and interim MNT coach Stephen Hart has submitted his resignation, and accepted a position with semi-pro club Rum Boys FC in his native Trinidad. "I'm looking forward to new challenges in a truly professional environment" said Hart. Broadcast personality Gerry Dobson has agreed to act as interim MNT coach for the upcoming friendly against the Cayman Islands, and was seen along with Linford, Mark Watson, and Bob Lenarduzzi stocking up on sunscreen at a local WalMart.

Just for those who dont remember, before 2005 gold cup, we played feb 9th ,05 against N Ireland, March 26, 05 against Portugal and July 2nd against Honduras. This time we have one month less as it starts in June and we are already one friendly behind. Im confident we can get a game (or two) against Bermuda in late March. If we also have a camp then I think that would be enough.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Alex

Just for those who dont remember, before 2005 gold cup, we played feb 9th ,05 against N Ireland, March 26, 05 against Portugal and July 2nd against Honduras. This time we have one month less as it starts in June and we are already one friendly behind. Im confident we can get a game (or two) against Bermuda in late March. If we also have a camp then I think that would be enough.

Sorry but we need games, camps are good for teams that play regular,

in Canada's case thats not that often. Even friendlies with Toronto

FC, Vancouver whitecaps and the MTL Impact would be a good test for the nats.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Mighty_TorontoFC

Sorry but we need games, camps are good for teams that play regular,

in Canada's case thats not that often. Even friendlies with Toronto

FC, Vancouver whitecaps and the MTL Impact would be a good test for the nats.

It goes both ways. You can't fly in and play either. A game day means one day you don't train (so half the squad does nothing, unless you set them a workout), and the next day your starters don't train full hilt.

So if you want to work on team tactics, on set plays, on positional play in general, you have to balance the two. Especially as we have players coming from a lot of places with variable playing styles, we have guys playing out of position, we have no clearly defined team style as we have no coach. So we have to train to sort all that out, a game without having done that first is a bit of a waste of time.

This is why on Sept 8 you might decide not to play the second possible game, you train and prepare for Costa Rica.

You may not have to have a prep game before the Gold Cup either, at least not a full A match. The rivals are not so incredibly strong that you can't work out things on the field the first day.

Once you have the system in place and a block of players used to a particular coach, and you play with relative regularity, then you can start to walk into the dates for a fixture and play it competitively without needing a long lead in period. You can travel and play.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by georg

Iceland, Canada's Aug 22 match is playing against Sweden right now on Fox Canada 1-1 at the 35 min...

Iceland was really quite poor vs Spain last night, saw the 2nd half. In fact we played better than they did vs. Spain, much better. I thought they were a better side, as there are a few decent players, but really I think we are superior.

I guess the game shown on Fox Canada this afternoon was actually played on Oct. 11, 2006 Sweden won 2-1. Iceland had a chance to tie it up on a free kick but hit the crossbar.... Iceland plays alot like Canada as they had trouble getting pass halfway. But better at short passes. Sweden didn't impress me with their game. Their goalkeeper was very shakey.

• 1 month later...

One thing to note is that Colin Linford has already failed in his commitment to have 10 friendlies. If he fills all remaining FIFA dates, that will leave Canada with only 8 matches.

That being said, the Gold Cup will bump the number of matches played, so it we should wonder whether the Gold Cup is included in his '10 matches' per year.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

One thing to note is that Colin Linford has already failed in his commitment to have 10 friendlies. If he fills all remaining FIFA dates, that will leave Canada with only 8 matches.

That being said, the Gold Cup will bump the number of matches played, so it we should wonder whether the Gold Cup is included in his '10 matches' per year.

The spirit of that declaration is 10 games a year, no matter what the competition.

We're at 7 if we go 3-and-out in the GC.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I'm not sure you're looking at this the right way.

First, the GC games must count, if not we've already lost the June 6 date due the GC....

Second, I think we shopuld expect to have activities on every FIFA dates but sometimes you're better having a training camp plus a game instead of having 2 games but less training together due to rest and traveling if necessary.

IMO The fact that we've already booked games against Iceland and CR is a sign that Linford is trying to get us more games.

Like I,ve said in another thread, except for the February date we've had and will have our team together for all FIFA dates until september. Plus a B team camp in january. That's already a pretty good sign compared to the 2006 year.

the current number of friendlies is pretty much the status quo. if they add a couple more to close out the year, filling every single date, then we will know things are changing for the better.

7- 2007: Bermuda, Venezuela, Iceland, CostaRica (+GC: CostaRica, Haiti, Guadeloupe)

5- 2006: USA, Austria, Jamaica, Jamaica, Hungary

8- 2005: N.Ireland, Portugal, Honduras, Spain, Luxembourg (+GC: CostaRica, USA, Cuba)

2- 2004: Barbados, Wales, (then 8 WCQ games)

9- 2003: USA, Lybia, Estonia, Germany, Finland, Czechs, Ireland (+GC: CostaRica, Cuba)

`

• 3 months later...

I think if we are going to schedule a friendly for our A-List players, we should make it worthwhile as possible for both their own sake and the impression made on their clubs. I would assume that in places like Italy, Spain and England clubs must in a certain way value having their best send off to camp to interact with the other top quality players. The experience of playing for their respective countries will undoubtedly raise their quality.

I just felt that as I watched our injury-depleted squad play a B-Class Iceland, somehow that couldn't be the best use of our limited resources.

As we prepare for WCQ, I would seriously like us to play some matches again A-List CONCACAF sides or B/B+ List South American sides. European friendlies are good, but there is no room for error in the first round of WCQ and our mostly European squad needs to adjust to the style and the theatrics of our region.

A home friendly versus the US could surely be organized with some kind of CSA guarantees behind crowd-turnout and us bringing quality players. The CSA could definitely team up with the private sector for advertising and sponsoring such a game at BMO and other semi-major venues. I think Costa Rica is turning out to be a hit financially.

I would also like to see games against:

B+/- Cuba, Guatamela, Honduras, Panama, Peru, etc...

A Mexico, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, etc...

(If mostly calling a European squad, than European friendly are effetive, but we should make an effort to play in the Americas.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

the current number of friendlies is pretty much the status quo. if they add a couple more to close out the year, filling every single date, then we will know things are changing for the better.

7- 2007: Bermuda, Venezuela, Iceland, CostaRica (+GC: CostaRica, Haiti, Guadeloupe)

5- 2006: USA, Austria, Jamaica, Jamaica, Hungary

8- 2005: N.Ireland, Portugal, Honduras, Spain, Luxembourg (+GC: CostaRica, USA, Cuba)

2- 2004: Barbados, Wales, (then 8 WCQ games)

9- 2003: USA, Lybia, Estonia, Germany, Finland, Czechs, Ireland (+GC: CostaRica, Cuba)

`

Of course you mean

9- 2007: Bermuda, Venezuela, Iceland, CostaRica (+GC: CostaRica, Haiti, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, USA)

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

As per another thread, Canada vs. South Africa in november TBC.

I really hope they fill those October dates soon.

I think it's unlikely they can have 2 games in October but I surely hope for a game or a training camp at worst. They need to spend time together.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

(If mostly calling a European squad, than European friendly are effetive, but we should make an effort to play in the Americas.)

Why America's...??

I think it would be helpful to play your friendlies mostly in Europe like some African nations do or Australia , Even the big South American countries like Brazil and Argentina do that.

The best Canadian players are based in Europe so it's easier for them and you can play with your strongest squad at every friendly.

There are more than enough decent opposition that would be willing to give Canada a go.

Belgium have a very talented young team and would be good opposition. The Swiss , Poland and Israel are good teams as well...

Those teams are probably just above the level of Canada and they would be great opposition against which Canada can certainly raise their level and battle with...

Also young players like Jonathan de Guzman , Jacob Lensky have expressed their concerns at overtravelling if they should decide to play for Canada. Imagine if they play European Football...

They would be playing in South America on a Wednesday , Fly back on Thursday/Friday , Have another game on Saturday/Sunday and a European game on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

All the travelling will harm them in their progress.

Set up a camp in Europe and play 2 friendlies a year in Canada in front of Home Fans against the likes of Chile/Uruguay. That would be extremely good. You'll be playing high quality friendlies all year long and everyone is happy...:D

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Why America's...??

I think it would be helpful to play your friendlies mostly in Europe like some African nations do or Australia , Even the big South American countries like Brazil and Argentina do that.

The best Canadian players are based in Europe so it's easier for them and you can play with your strongest squad at every friendly.

There are more than enough decent opposition that would be willing to give Canada a go.

Belgium have a very talented young team and would be good opposition. The Swiss , Poland and Israel are good teams as well...

Those teams are probably just above the level of Canada and they would be great opposition against which Canada can certainly raise their level and battle with...

Also young players like Jonathan de Guzman , Jacob Lensky have expressed their concerns at overtravelling if they should decide to play for Canada. Imagine if they play European Football...

They would be playing in South America on a Wednesday , Fly back on Thursday/Friday , Have another game on Saturday/Sunday and a European game on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

All the travelling will harm them in their progress.

Set up a camp in Europe and play 2 friendlies a year in Canada in front of Home Fans against the likes of Chile/Uruguay. That would be extremely good. You'll be playing high quality friendlies all year long and everyone is happy...:D

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Why America's...??

It's not always a question of the opposition level. Some people are suggesting to play South and Central American teams because of the style of play they use so our players can get to use to it and their tactics/antics.

I'm all for playing some european teams for the reason you said (cost and opposition) but we also need to schedule games like CR and Venezuela to help our players in their preparation.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Why America's...??

It's not always a question of the opposition level. Some people are suggesting to play South and Central American teams because of the style of play they use so our players can get to use to it and their tactics/antics.

I'm all for playing some european teams for the reason you said (cost and opposition) but we also need to schedule games like CR and Venezuela to help our players in their preparation.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Sorry , I edited my post a slight bit..;)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Sorry , I edited my post a slight bit..;)

Archived