WORLD RANKINGS!!!

Forza_Italia

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So I stand corrected, I was wrong. You can be a hot side on the way up and still get a terrible qualifying set-up, forcing you to start from square one and still prove you deserve to be up there. Or you can be pure crap since making the last World Cup and still get a spot in the A pool on the basis of having previously done so. I think it a pretty unfair system as well, it favours tradition and inertia and makes it hard to break into a higher pot from below.

Keep in mind that the semifinal draw is next year. So when you say "you can be pure crap since making the last World Cup" we're not talking about a huge length of time here. Ignoring the previous WCQ and instead basing seeding on a bunch of meaningless friendlies played in 2006 and 2007 would be a lot more unfair, IMO.

The Rankings will never be perfect since we have different regions and teams like England who seem to play more friendlies then anyone else. There must be a better way, an equal way the the Rankings can be fair or CLOSE to fair where all teams have the same amount of games played and so on. I know this is next to impossible but its wishful thinking.

As for the top 10 teams I pretty much agree execpt maybe portugal can be a little higher but other than that the rankings for top 10 seem to be fair

So am I correct to conclude from all the afore mentioned that the FIFA rankings have no direct bearing on the seeding of World Cup qualifying, (CONCACAF examples in particular would be easiest for my comprehension.)? Does anyone one know where to find FIFA confirmation of this point?

I think the way it used to be set for the seedings is that they get your results from the last 3 world cups , the more recent world cups have more weight value. I dont know if this was changed or not

so Italy for example to be seeded for next world cup

they will look at 2006 champions(most weighted as most recent) 2002 second round (second most weighted) and 1998 quarter finals(least weighted)

quote:Originally posted by Nuff Zed

So am I correct to conclude from all the afore mentioned that the FIFA rankings have no direct bearing on the seeding of World Cup qualifying, (CONCACAF examples in particular would be easiest for my comprehension.)? Does anyone one know where to find FIFA confirmation of this point?

ACTUALLY ITS A COMBINATION OF BOTH

To calculate the seeding for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, FIFA used the FIFA World Rankings in combination with performances of national teams in the two previous World Cups. [1]

Points were allocated on the basis of 32 for the best achieving of the 32 qualifiers for 2006 FIFA World Cup in each of the five fields considered, down to one for the lowest ranking.

The seedings table uses these points obtained from the 1998 FIFA World Cup and the 2002 FIFA World Cup averaged in a 1:2 ratio respectively, added to the average amount of points derived from the World Rankings at three given dates (at ratio 1:1:1), December 2003, December 2004, and November 2005. This generates a view of how well the teams have performed over the last ten years (since the rankings in 2003 include results from eight years previous to that) with a specific focus on how the teams have performed in the FIFA World Cup on previous occasions. Significant differences between this ranking of the teams and the official FIFA rankings at the time of the draw can be seen for Czech Republic, Germany and South Korea (ñ=0.87).

quote:Originally posted by Forza_Italia

To calculate the seeding for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, FIFA used the FIFA World Rankings in combination with performances of national teams in the two previous World Cups. [1]

Points were allocated on the basis of 32 for the best achieving of the 32 qualifiers for 2006 FIFA World Cup in each of the five fields considered, down to one for the lowest ranking.

The seedings table uses these points obtained from the 1998 FIFA World Cup and the 2002 FIFA World Cup averaged in a 1:2 ratio respectively, added to the average amount of points derived from the World Rankings at three given dates (at ratio 1:1:1), December 2003, December 2004, and November 2005. This generates a view of how well the teams have performed over the last ten years (since the rankings in 2003 include results from eight years previous to that) with a specific focus on how the teams have performed in the FIFA World Cup on previous occasions. Significant differences between this ranking of the teams and the official FIFA rankings at the time of the draw can be seen for Czech Republic, Germany and South Korea (ñ=0.87).

Important to note, this was in the actual World Cup itself and not the qualifiers. Each Confederation sets their own qualifying criteria and currently, there is no value to FIFA ranking in CONCACAF's World Cup qualifying process. Same for COMNEBOL, which of course uses a single table with every member involved. Can't speak for any other Confederation.

quote:Originally posted by Forza_Italia

Important to note, this was in the actual World Cup itself and not the qualifiers. Each Confederation sets their own qualifying criteria and currently, there is no value to FIFA ranking in CONCACAF's World Cup qualifying process. Same for COMNEBOL, which of course uses a single table with every member involved. Can't speak for any other Confederation.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Same for UEFA. They base it on won-draw-loss record in the previous qualifiers and previous European championship. This was the seeding for Euro 2008 qualifying draw: http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/euro2008/UEFA%20EURO%202008%20TM%20Qualifying%20Draw%20seedings.pdf

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Same for UEFA. They base it on won-draw-loss record in the previous qualifiers and previous European championship. This was the seeding for Euro 2008 qualifying draw: http://www.dragonsoccer.co.uk/euro2008/UEFA%20EURO%202008%20TM%20Qualifying%20Draw%20seedings.pdf

Archived