Ultimate Lineup

masster

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Bernier seems to be very inconsistent with the national team and either plays great or terrible. When he plays well he is better than Serioux though when he is poor he looks like he doesn't even belong with the national team. Although I have been impressed with how much Serioux has improved recently he does not have the skill level of Bernier. From the reports from Norway Bernier must be a lot more consistent at the club level than the international level. Maybe he just needs to be playing in a better team/league. I think Serioux has potential as a CB but agree with your concern about possible PKs with CONCACAF opposition/refs. I would favour Nsaliwa as the first choice CB at least until we see what Edgar can do with the senior team. I think Bernier would still have to be an initial first choice as a midfield starter for our new coach but will definitely have to play at a more consistent level to maintain this. We really have a lot of potential candidates for defensive midfielder both with veteran players and younger players. I would see Serioux at the moment as a very good sub for us who would be the first choice sub for CB (where we have little depth) and a sub option for midfield (where we have a lot of depth) depending on what type of player we need to sub in.

Just popped into my head. Is Imhof out of the question? Since he hasn't played for the Nats lately (not since Luxumberg I think) I really haven't seen him play. And it would be impossible to see him play for his club either cause he's always on the bench. Is he an option?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Bernier seems to be very inconsistent with the national team and either plays great or terrible. When he plays well he is better than Serioux though when he is poor he looks like he doesn't even belong with the national team. Although I have been impressed with how much Serioux has improved recently he does not have the skill level of Bernier. From the reports from Norway Bernier must be a lot more consistent at the club level than the international level. Maybe he just needs to be playing in a better team/league. I think Serioux has potential as a CB but agree with your concern about possible PKs with CONCACAF opposition/refs. I would favour Nsaliwa as the first choice CB at least until we see what Edgar can do with the senior team. I think Bernier would still have to be an initial first choice as a midfield starter for our new coach but will definitely have to play at a more consistent level to maintain this. We really have a lot of potential candidates for defensive midfielder both with veteran players and younger players. I would see Serioux at the moment as a very good sub for us who would be the first choice sub for CB (where we have little depth) and a sub option for midfield (where we have a lot of depth) depending on what type of player we need to sub in.

Just popped into my head. Is Imhof out of the question? Since he hasn't played for the Nats lately (not since Luxumberg I think) I really haven't seen him play. And it would be impossible to see him play for his club either cause he's always on the bench. Is he an option?

I don't think he is much of an option until he starts playing again. He has only played 110 minutes this year. He is probably an underrated player who is not very noticeable on the pitch but still effective. On the other hand while I think he is a viable option I hope we are building enough depth at midfield so that he will be mostly a sub/depth player. His contract is up in the summer so if his playing time doesn't increase with Bochum look for him to transfer elsewhere possibly back to the 2nd Bundesliga (though Bochum also has a good chance of being relegated). I was hoping he would get some regular playing time in the 1st BL and raise his game but partly due to injury this has not happened.

I don't think he is much of an option until he starts playing again. He has only played 110 minutes this year. He is probably an underrated player who is not very noticeable on the pitch but still effective. On the other hand while I think he is a viable option I hope we are building enough depth at midfield so that he will be mostly a sub/depth player. His contract is up in the summer so if his playing time doesn't increase with Bochum look for him to transfer elsewhere possibly back to the 2nd Bundesliga (though Bochum also has a good chance of being relegated). I was hoping he would get some regular playing time in the 1st BL and raise his game but partly due to injury this has not happened.

I think Grizzly makes a great point when he mentions Bernier's inconsistent play with the NT. Unfortunately, I think that point can be made about all our NT players - a function of too little time together.

Regarding Serioux, one of the reasons he was used in the back four at Houston was because they have Ricardo Clark at the holding mid spot. Clark is pushing to be first choice holding mid for the US Nats so he will not be displaced. Probably why Adrian was left unprotected in the expansion draft.

I think Grizzly makes a great point when he mentions Bernier's inconsistent play with the NT. Unfortunately, I think that point can be made about all our NT players - a function of too little time together.

Regarding Serioux, one of the reasons he was used in the back four at Houston was because they have Ricardo Clark at the holding mid spot. Clark is pushing to be first choice holding mid for the US Nats so he will not be displaced. Probably why Adrian was left unprotected in the expansion draft.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

Maccalium: of course you know, Canada already beat Northern Ireland with only ten men! :D

Desigol: You prefer Occean over Friend, Johnson over Radz or Brennan, Hainault/Edgar over McKenna, and Jazic over Kluk? Really?

The reason I left Radz and McKenna out is because Canada should prepare for the future. McKenna didn't set the SPL alight at a time when Hearts weren't as good as they are now. Radz has played for Canada since 1992, a good innings by anyone's standards Internationally.

Idealy Canada should hire Wenger, but someone like Terry Vennables could do an excellent job. Look at what Tel did for Australia.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Imhof played the lone holding mid role in the ill-fated WC06 qualifying campaign and he was the unfortunate whipping boy for many of the fans of this board. He doesn't seem to be playing regularly at club level, so it is difficult to put him in the mix right now.

Serioux as a centre back is truly a work in progress and your points about his penchant for rash challenges in and around the penalty area is well taken. That questions his overall discipline which I believe carries over to his tactical discipline as well: with him in the lone holding role I fear that he will be on "walkabout" too often and straying from his primary responsibility which in my system is providing a shield in front of the back four. Really good holding mids anticipate where the counterattack is starting and always seem to be in position rather than having to chase the play down, as I believe Serioux would be doing too often.

The reason I have alluded to his MLS experience a number of times is because (and anyone out there can correct me if I'm wrong) I believe he was originally brought in by the Red Bulls last year to play the role in which you described and yet was traded by the management. Off to Houston where he wasn't going to beat out Ricardo Clark, but rather than have him on the bench Kinnear begins converting him to centre back. Not protected in the expansion draft, he's off to Dallas where Morrow wants to continue using him primarily as a central defender.

I agree with Ivan's point that a number of our players have had inconsistent performances because of the lack of match time together. That's why it's really important that we position our players in familiar roles from club level to give them a semblance of continuity. Asking a player who has been playing all year as a centre back to be a holding mid after a couple of MNT practices is risky. Maybe it would pay off handsomely, but the only players I have seen being able to pull that off were Frank Rijkard, Marcel Desailly and possibly Michael Essien, and these individuals were/are in a whole different class.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

The reason I left Radz and McKenna out is because Canada should prepare for the future. McKenna didn't set the SPL alight at a time when Hearts weren't as good as they are now. Radz has played for Canada since 1992, a good innings by anyone's standards Internationally.

You still haven't explained Occean over Friend! :D

McKenna is only ~26, and is usually Canada's captain, so he should be with the MNT for quite some time. I could be wrong here, but I think his problems at Hearts may have had something to do with having a large contract around the time that the TV deal fell through and alot of teams had to cut player wages. Regardless, he is now the captain of a team in the First Bundesliga, and they have really missed him lately as he has been out with an injury. I would say that he has improved since his time in the SPL.

As for Radz, he is still quick, is a regular starter in the EPL for Fulham, and is perhaps Canada's most skilled player. He probably will be too old for 2010, but maybe not for qualifying. Right now, he is a starter for 90+ with the MNT, and a starter for 60-70 (I think he was subbed out around the 69 minute on Sunday) in the EPL. Eventually, he will only be a starter for 60-70 minutes with the MNT, and later a 20-30 minute "Super-Sub". Regardless, until guys like Hume and Johnson are able to step up and take his place on merit, I think he is a starter for as long as he wants to be.

quote: Idealy Canada should hire Wenger, but someone like Terry Vennables could do an excellent job. Look at what Tel did for Australia.

Look at what Hiddink did for Australia! He is the guy we should get!

Is the CSA allowed to buy lottery tickets?

quote:Originally posted by KAS

You still haven't explained Occean over Friend! :D

McKenna is only ~26, and is usually Canada's captain, so he should be with the MNT for quite some time. I could be wrong here, but I think his problems at Hearts may have had something to do with having a large contract around the time that the TV deal fell through and alot of teams had to cut player wages. Regardless, he is now the captain of a team in the First Bundesliga, and they have really missed him lately as he has been out with an injury. I would say that he has improved since his time in the SPL.

As for Radz, he is still quick, is a regular starter in the EPL for Fulham, and is perhaps Canada's most skilled player. He probably will be too old for 2010, but maybe not for qualifying. Right now, he is a starter for 90+ with the MNT, and a starter for 60-70 (I think he was subbed out around the 69 minute on Sunday) in the EPL. Eventually, he will only be a starter for 60-70 minutes with the MNT, and later a 20-30 minute "Super-Sub". Regardless, until guys like Hume and Johnson are able to step up and take his place on merit, I think he is a starter for as long as he wants to be.

Look at what Hiddink did for Australia! He is the guy we should get!

Is the CSA allowed to buy lottery tickets?

Friend is a good squad player, but International Football doesn't suit the route 1 style; unlike the 100mph Premiership. Occean has proven himself at International level with some goals.

Ok, maybe leaving out McKenna was a mistake. Wasn't sure about his age, thanks for stating it out. But I think Edgar will be ahead of him in 2010 if Edgar can make it with Newcastle.

Hiddink may have been the man who brought Australia to the World Cup, but Vennables did all the Donkey work.

Archived