Faces of the game - who would you include?

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

Ok, if you had to make a page with 6 'faces of the game' for soccer newbs, who would you put on it? Each will have a small blurb.

One page will be for men, the other women.

Women:

Hamm

Lilly

Sinclair

Marta

Sun Wen

Men:

Yallop

Watson

Jordon

Thunder Dan

Kevin Pipe

Jack Warner

Guest speedmonk42

Ok for men... remember it is for a newb book

Pele

Ronaldinho

Beckham

Zidane

Some American cause its for the US

A goalie or defender

Women:

Lilly

Hamm

Prinz

Sun Wen

Marta

Malin Moström

Despite Mia Hamm being retired, she is still the most notable name in women's soccer, and certainly one of it's greatest ambassadors. Sun Wen and Marta speak for themselves, Prinz was player of the year last year(or was it the year before?).

Men:

Beckham

Christiano Ronaldo

Kaka

John Terry

Jurgen Klinsmen

Ronaldinho

David Beckham is the name amongst names in mens soccer. And from all accounts, Christiano Ronaldo is his heir-apparant. I include Kaka for flair, John Terry to represent defenders(I'd love to include Cannavaro, but at his age he's on the downslope), and Ronaldinho as another name. Klinsmen is there to appease the American public, although frankly, he sure made a name for himself during the World Cup as a recognizable coach.

Pele's face is still as recognized around the world as that of Beckham's and that is almost 40 years after he retired. Besides he really did give soccer a big boost in North America. It needs to be there.

Beckham's too.

Ronaldinho is a recognizable face.

Zidane is good too.

Kasey Keller might be good because he is a recognizable, and successful American Goalkeeper.

For Premier League representation, Wayne Rooney or Christiano Ronaldo since they play for one of the most highly marketed clubs globally, Manchester United.

Any marketing to new soccer fans should include Pele and Beckham. I tend towards suggesting older players because there is less chance of being embarrassed by having your choice being publicized for the wrong reasons (drugs, gambling, drunk driving etc.).

If I was to drop one of these choices, it would probably be Zidane and maybe replace with Dwayne DeRosario for additional MLS and Canadian content.

Guest speedmonk42

Yeah I think Dwayne would be good because he covers US and Canada.

This is for North American soccer parents.

I agree that Pele and Becks need to be in there. Especially because he is coming to MLS.

Kasey Keller (what is his middle name anyway, I hope it isn't Karl) is also an excellent idea for US content.

Besides I want to sneak some Canadians in there, thats why I want sinclair, and DRO would also be a good addition.

Thanks for input!

jm

This topic makes me realize something interesting in that I can't think of any American players who have been starts in top leagues. They have had a few solid players in top leagues like Keller but no real recognizable names unless there is someone I am forgetting. For keepers I think Kahn and Barthez are the two most recognizable faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Americans: McBride. Tim Howard. Clint Dempsey. Friedel. Captain America Reyna. McBride is already a Fulham legend though not a "league star". Howard might be on his way with Everton, Dempsey was a big MLS star and will probably catch on in the Prem. Friedel has had a good season. Landon Donovan is a famous American and was on the Fifa cover (for NA release) so is recognizable. I'd personally put Howard and Dempsey on as I think they're going to get bigger whereas guys like Keller McBride etc. are getting old.

Archived